Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    352

    Any riding near Gaithersburg, MD?

    Taking a company trip out there at the beginning of June, trying to figure out if it'd be worth taking an extra day to squeeze some riding in. Would have to 'demo' a bike as well. As I'm thinking of picking up some sort of 150mm / 27.5" wheel bike I guess I'd prefer to demo something like that if possible. Not sure if that's total overkill for the area though.

    So, soliciting advice for shops that will rent something out in addition to venues with some fun trails.
    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailbildr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,313
    There's a TON of riding in the area. Want some MANtain bike trails? Drive up to Gambrill State Park and City of Frederick Watershed. I have no idea where you are from, but you'll be blown away, I can assure that. R O C K Y.

    I don't know if anybody has a demo bike @160/275, but I have one... Maybe Germantown Cycles is planning on getting a demo Intense 275 bike...

    mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

    trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    233
    You ride sheaffer farms

  4. #4
    bikeboatbrewski
    Reputation: scottybinwv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,391
    Get your a$$ to Gambrill or the Fredneck watershed. If you cant do those Schlaffer Farm would be next best thing and close to Gburg.

  5. #5
    My little friends
    Reputation: EABiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    330
    Not to hijack, but are the trails around Clopper Lake still open? I started out riding there 'bout 20 years ago!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    There's a TON of riding in the area. Want some MANtain bike trails? Drive up to Gambrill State Park and City of Frederick Watershed. I have no idea where you are from, but you'll be blown away, I can assure that. R O C K Y.

    I don't know if anybody has a demo bike @160/275, but I have one... Maybe Germantown Cycles is planning on getting a demo Intense 275 bike...

    mk
    Craig has a Intense Spider 29 Comp demo bike. I'm looking forward to demoing it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    531
    We've got a ton of riding in the immediate area.

    Trails | MORE-MTB

    Notables:
    Schaeffer Farms
    Black Hills
    Seneca Ridge
    Muddy Branch
    Little Bennett

    Big hit type stuff up north in Frederick as mentioned above. Higher difficulty, still super fun.

  8. #8
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Any riding near Gaithersburg, MD?

    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    Not to hijack, but are the trails around Clopper Lake still open? I started out riding there 'bout 20 years ago!
    It is. You see a lot less bikers there because Schaeffer Farm and the Seneca Ridge Trail are so close to it, but it's still a nice, scenic ride around the lake.
    I would also suggest Schaeffer Farm over the watershed just because it's easier to get lost on the watershed trails and it's a 30 minute drive from gaithersburg.
    Also, as mentioned, call Germantown Cycles to demo a bike.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Notables:
    Schaeffer Farms
    Black Hills
    Seneca Ridge
    Muddy Branch
    Little Bennett
    A 29er hardtail would be fine for all of these trails. These trails are fast and fun. MORE has a group ride at Schaeffer Farms open to anyone on Thursday nights during the summer too.

    If you are looking for rocky chunky fun head a bit north to Frederick. Finding a local to ride with in Frederick might be a good idea. Gambrill is well marked, but the rest of the area isn't. I am sure if you post up here closer to your trip you could line up a guide. If I am around I would be happy to show you around.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    352
    Thanks for all the info guys. Coming from SoCal so I'd imagine the riding is quite different. Looking forward to it. Will try to see if I can round up some co-workers to come with and will for sure check out Germantown Cycles.

    Will tag this thread about a week prior to see if anyone is available to 'host'.

    Thanks again!

  11. #11
    Good For You
    Reputation: The_Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    408
    You could sample most of the riding in the county by doing the MoCo Epic route (there are several length options):

    The Rides

    You could probably get some locals to join you if you are interested. Try posting on the MORE forum under "Rides".

    Where in SoCal?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    352
    I'm in Orange County but originally from the Boston area so I'm familiar with east coast single track / rocks / roots. Checked out the Germantown bikes link, looks like they have Santa Cruz. Demo'd a Bronson last weekend, would be sweet to demo again on real trails.

    Depending on who all from work comes I might be interested in the 25 mile loop. If work people are coming that mileage will probably get cut in half though. Just need to ask around to see who's game.

  13. #13
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,981
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    I'm in Orange County but originally from the Boston area so I'm familiar with east coast single track / rocks / roots. Checked out the Germantown bikes link, looks like they have Santa Cruz. Demo'd a Bronson last weekend, would be sweet to demo again on real trails.

    Depending on who all from work comes I might be interested in the 25 mile loop. If work people are coming that mileage will probably get cut in half though. Just need to ask around to see who's game.
    I'm good on all the trails above except Little Bennett w/ 34 x15 gearing on a 29er rigid steel SIR 9 (ride a 100mm HT and 120mm FS 29er too). In terms of level of "difficulty", Lil Ben is "more" (not nearly so much as Gambrill, Frederick Watershed or Patapsco), followed by Seneca Ridge, Black Hill, Schaeffer Farm and Muddy Branch. All of them are fun to ride.

    There's plenty to choose from.. for a loop, the MoCo South might be just right- Seneca Ridge, Muddy Branch, a bit of C&O Canal tow path riding and Seneca Bluffs Trail. ~30 or so miles total with a lot of variety and not super technical. (this is the general area... shows a bit more mileage on this excursion MoCo South with SRT Pre-ride - Germantown, MD).

    You could start at Schaeffer Farm parking lot, ride a mile or so on the White Trail (though the new whoop de doo's) to start the loop on Seneca Ridge (clockwise loop) or Seneca Bluffs (counter clockwise loop). Lots of places to bail or turn around if some/all aren't up for the whole loop.

    I can probably lead a ride for you if you give me a bit of warning.

    eDub

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PantslessWithWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    63

    Any riding near Gaithersburg, MD?

    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    I'm in Orange County but originally from the Boston area so I'm familiar with east coast single track / rocks / roots. Checked out the Germantown bikes link, looks like they have Santa Cruz. Demo'd a Bronson last weekend, would be sweet to demo again on real trails.

    Depending on who all from work comes I might be interested in the 25 mile loop. If work people are coming that mileage will probably get cut in half though. Just need to ask around to see who's game.
    Whereabouts in Orange County are you from? I've got family in Newport Beach and I've ridden at El Moro on more than a few occasions. Would love to bring my SC Heckler back there sometime, maybe even hit the fun stuff in Laguna as well.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    352
    Irvine, El Moro is the local stomping ground. Rode Aliso this morning, likely blackstar tomorrow

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    352
    Germantown doesn't do demo's. They mentioned maybe they'll get something from SC in June but they're working on it. Asked them about who might and they mentioned "Mount Airy bikes" or something but said there weren't many options.

    If anyone has any further recommendations for demo's I'm all ears. Still a few weeks out for this thing but it sounds like our CEO might be joining so I'd like to not have to flake last minute due to a lack of rides.

    Thanks again for all the input so far, appreciate the assistance.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rob1035's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    840
    Yeah I noticed Germantown took their demo page down. Interesting.

    They probably meant this place: http://www.patapscobikeandsport.com/

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    352
    I just spoke with them again and their old demo page was from "Marylandmountainbikes.com" and referenced only 2012 bikes. The new website has a completely different address and doesn't have any demos. Apparently they sold off their 2012 demo fleet, which sounds strange to me but whatever. They indicated Santa Cruz will may be in town with a 'regular' demo tour on June 15th but that's the week after we leave.

    Mt. Airy seems...quirky...but I spoke with a gentleman from http://www.bike123.com/ who can accommodate however it looks like a lot of his stock is 90's vintage kleins.

    Called Patapsco and it sounds like they MAY have something, they will get back to me later this week so thank you for that recommendation!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    I just spoke with them again and their old demo page was from "Marylandmountainbikes.com" and referenced only 2012 bikes. The new website has a completely different address and doesn't have any demos. Apparently they sold off their 2012 demo fleet, which sounds strange to me but whatever. They indicated Santa Cruz will may be in town with a 'regular' demo tour on June 15th but that's the week after we leave.

    Mt. Airy seems...quirky...but I spoke with a gentleman from http://www.bike123.com/ who can accommodate however it looks like a lot of his stock is 90's vintage kleins.

    Called Patapsco and it sounds like they MAY have something, they will get back to me later this week so thank you for that recommendation!
    I wouldn't depend on Mt. Airy for anything. I won't go into details, but yea if your traveling here, they'd be the last shop in the area I'd trust to have what they say they have when you get here.

    Unfortunately it appears your hitting a bad time. Both Germentown and Patapsco used to have demo bikes. I demoed an Elsworth at P and a TBLT at G.

    I can't speak for the shops, but I know the bikes were demos as far as trying to get you to buy the bike and not really geared toward rentals, so I wonder if you mentioning you were just traveling here may have had something to do with it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    74

  21. #21
    Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Reputation: GelatiCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Any riding near Gaithersburg, MD?

    Not sure when you'll be around, but Germantown Cycles is having a Santa Cruz demo day on June 15th.

  22. #22
    Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Reputation: Kyri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    180
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    I wouldn't depend on Mt. Airy for anything. I won't go into details, but yea if your traveling here, they'd be the last shop in the area I'd trust to have what they say they have when you get here.
    I second this...steer clear of Mt. Airy.
    Bring it.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    352
    Thanks to all who responded, turns out I had to cancel my trip b/c I was too busy @ work. Really appreciate all the responses!

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM
  2. Need Riding Tips! (First Time Riding A Rigid)
    By MTBWV96 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 09:37 AM
  3. Riding UP stairs, riding inside home depot, big drop and more...
    By unigeezer in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2012, 08:10 AM
  4. How does road riding affect offroad riding?
    By JMHZ2401 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 09:07 AM
  5. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •