mtbr member

Another hunting question (MD)

I read the other post here about hunting but I am still confused. This is my first year really out in the woods and off the MUP's. I had cancer surgery in April of this year and decided to start living a little better. (So if you see an old guy pushing a White Giant Yukon in Patapsco or Roseryville don't be a hater, it could be me 4 months after surgery).
    I tried out Cedarville in Waldorf on Sat (wooded trails but not real mountain biking I found out) I was surprised to come out of the woods to a road and see three guys with rifles standing there.
    1) Is it safe to ride during hunting season?
    2) Based on the previous thread here about hunting and the maps and calendar on it I thought there was hunting in Patapsco where the trails are. I went to Patapsco today and when I asked the guy at the gate about it he said there was no hunting there. So is there hunting allowed by the trails in Patapsco and if so when and how do you avoid being killed by a stray bullet as compared to falling off one of the damn dropoffs there.

I am the owl
    Check the MD DNR web site for full hunting details. Patapsco has bow hunting in a number of areas, it is a really big park, much bigger than just the popular Avalon section, so check all details depending on where you go.

If areas allow firearms, it is best to stay off the trails on days that allow hunting, especially Saturdays during deer season. If you go out during firearms season a bear bell strapped on the bike is a good idea and many people will wear blaze orange. Me, I prefer to stay off of certain trails during firearms deer season.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If it was in the afternoon, they may have had shotguns, and been hunting mourning dove...which are in season. No worries about stray bullets with them, though if you're close enough you may have a bit of lead rain down on you. I personally wouldn't ride during the deer firearm season, and probably not during the early muzzleloader...

You can also feel a bit better about being in eastern MD, where no rifle hunting is allowed...only muzzleloader and shotgun, which don't have the velocity of rifles.

Members who have read this thread: 0