mtbr member

AFC Sugar Hill Mountain Bike Race 2011

I was wondering if anyone here was planning on doing this race this year? I saw a thread for last year and it looks like there was a handful of you who did. I'd be curious to hear some war stories.

mtbr member
    I probably will, is there a date set for it? I didn't see it on the MASS page but now their page seems down. I did it last year - first mountain bike race I ever did. They start you up the big hill, but its such a bottleneck everybody just ran up it.

mtbr member
    March 12th with a Rain date on the 19th. Registration hasn't opened yet, but there are dates up on the AFC website http://adventuresforthecure.com/.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Is there a course designated yet? Would it be the same as last year's?

mtbr member
    I can't find any information on the course yet. It's definitely not on the MASS schedule right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I missed it last year because I waited too long to register. I am doing it this year though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    2 years ago they did the couse counter clockwise. last year they did it clockwise. so who knows which direction they will do it in. but it was pretty much the same course.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Sooowwwww....

200 riders? NO POSTS???

How was the race? I missed the reg.

Rode the loop Friday though.

I don't think I would last 2 or 3 times around.

Any photos?

mtbr member
    The race was good, trails were in great shape, I saw somebody taking photos out there, they might post them on the AFC website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    results up anywhere? did race last two years. reduced race schedule for this year and next two years due to grad school here on eastern shore.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Tim,
    How are you? Let us know when you get up to Baltimore to ride.
    Here are the results from the race.
    http://adventuresforthecure.com/docs...11Results.html

I had a blast even though I placed 16th in the SS class. Wish they had a sport ss class!
    Anyhow, my legs needed the extra lap to help get me in shape!

I'll definitely sign up again next year.

I thought the course was pretty damn fast. There were only a few muddy spots but nothing bad. Cascade was a little sketchy in some spots.

I heard there was a big pile up on the first lap in the expert field but I didn't see it...they were probably miles ahead of me at that point

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It was a fun race, I did 13th out of 26 in beginner. Most of the guys doing really well were on lightwight 29ers. I raced a 35lb all mountain bike. My plan was to catch up on the downhills but I was so beat at the end of the ridge trail, my plan was out the window. I am going to build a light 29er (like steves paradox) and race that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anyone else get photos of the beginners leg?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00
    It was a fun race, I did 13th out of 26 in beginner. Most of the guys doing really well were on lightwight 29ers. I raced a 35lb all mountain bike. My plan was to catch up on the downhills but I was so beat at the end of the ridge trail, my plan was out the window. I am going to build a light 29er (like steves paradox) and race that.
    Hate to tell you, but the guys that did really well would probably still do really well on your all mountain bike

Its not the bike so much as the engine that drives it. Keep climbing hills and doing longer and longer rides on that heavy bike, and you'll notice that you'll get faster and the hills will get easier, and when you do finally get on a more XC specific bike, you'll have the engine to make that thing fly. XC races are won and lost on the climbs, not the downhills, as much as I hate that fact as well.