mtbr member

New question here. Accommodations near Staunton, VA

My groups of friends are taking our annual Guys Spring MTB Trip. We are headed to the Harrisonburg area for the second year in a row. Last year's trip got somewhat snowed out, but still had a great time.

We stayed just outside of Harrisonburg last year (Rawley Springs). This year we are looking to head further south to check out the Southern Traverse, Braley’s, Dowell’s, etc.

The trip is planned for mid-April and we were hoping to camp (gotta keep it cheap so the wife is happy). The problem I am running into is finding available OPEN campsites that time of year. Camp Todd appears to be closed until mid-May and North River appears too primitive (no available water or showers?).

Anyways, I found a KOA near Staunton that fits the bill, but thought I would ask those local to the area for any other suggestions before booking with KOA. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I throw poo
    Check out Sherando Lake: George Washington & Jefferson National Forests - Sherando Lake Recreation Area

It's about 30 min east of Staunton, near Waynesboro. As a bonus, there are some great trails that run up the mountain to the Blueridge Parkway and along some of the ridges. It should be open.

When you get to the area talk to James at Black Dog Bikes for all the info you could want on Staunton area riding. Home
    Dang it, now I'm running a coolness deficit for sure.

mtbr member
    Sherando is good. Also, if you're in Staunton, you've got the Stokesville stuff at hand as well. Lookout, Narrow Back, all that lot. You would also be less than an hour drive from Harrisonburg, so Reddish Knob and it's ilk are there, as well as the western slope at Massanutten.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Sherando has what your looking for, tent sites with showers at $15 per night.

The riding is excellent as you can incorporate Big Levels into a loop ride. I much prefer mill creek but if your looking for BIG rocks try Torry ridge.

Fairly nice bike shop in Waynesboro " Rockfish gap " If needed.