Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1st Trip to White Clay Creek, Newark, DE

96K views 712 replies 113 participants last post by  Puddle 
#1 · (Edited)
So I drove down the New Jersey Turnpike for 45 minutes or so, and I found myself at White Clay Creek in Newark, Delaware. I was supposed to go a few weeks ago, but I was sick and couldn't make it. Well, I made it down this past Saturday, and I must say, this is a fine place to ride! I printed Ken Cox' map earlier in the day, and wouldn't you know, I forgot to pack it. Fortunately, the trails are well marked and the place is fairly easy to navigate.

I did the Lenape Trail, Bryan's Field Trail, the skills trail, the Earth Day Trail, and one other which I can't recall. I was thoroughly impressed with the skills trail. I've seen several photos of the skills trail on various forums, and I always thought that it looked rather "simple." Well, this was the first time I rode any type of stunt or obstacle, and I have a new found respect for those northshore riders. This is not as easy as it looks. To be honest, I think the mental portion of it is the toughest to overcome. Riding it wasn't extremely difficult, although I had some trouble on the skinnies next to the suspension bridge. I walked through the skills trail the first time just to see what was there, etc... I was kinda sketchy about the suspension bridge, so I opted for the skinnies on the left. I nearly endo'd on the first teeter, just before the suspension bridge. It seems like it is missing 1 plank or something. I hit it twice, and it happened each time. I dunno...maybe I'm just hitting it wrong??? Overall, the skills trails was really nice, and I can't wait to hit it again.

I rode for about 2 1/2 hours, until it starting getting dark. Ran into quite a few friendly people as well. I had a great experience here and can't wait to hit it up again to explore everything I missed.

Zig Zag Bridge....not as easy as it looks.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Suspension bridge...yeah, you don't see too many of these out on the trail. Weird to ride it.

choices; A) Long skinny, B) Whoops, or C) Rock Garden

Earth Day Trail

Bryan's Field Trail

See less See more
#77 ·
I guess you can only advertise your bike for sale on the classifieds, I noticed the thread I posted is now gone...darn, was starting to get response...oh well do a classified with the other 1,000's of bikes...but in the meantime pass it on everyone I'm selling my 2007 Cannondale Carbon Rush 2 for $1800 OBO all stock except have different tires on it (Ignitors on rear, and Conti Explorers on Front)...thanks for your help everyone.

#78 ·
Sinker said:
I haven't been on the trails in probably 3 weeks and I can feel the fat piling on. I might be able to join you Wednesday or Thursday, but hopefully you guys are talking about 12-15 miles of riding and not an average speed of 12-15mph!
nah - i'm talking about total distance - i like to ride for fun, not in a hurry. this wont be race training that's for sure. just post a date and time and we can meet up at the parking lot off possum hollow rd. as i said before either day works and the weather should be the same both days.

#79 ·
cableguy46 said:
I guess you can only advertise your bike for sale on the classifieds, I noticed the thread I posted is now gone...darn, was starting to get response...oh well do a classified with the other 1,000's of bikes...but in the meantime pass it on everyone I'm selling my 2007 Cannondale Carbon Rush 2 for $1800 OBO all stock except have different tires on it (Ignitors on rear, and Conti Explorers on Front)...thanks for your help everyone.
So you knowingly posted on another forum, had it taken down, and do the same thing over here..... Take it elsewhere jerky.

#84 ·
vyper005 said:
eujinc,
Do you have these videos in other links besides you tube ?? I can view them at home but not at work...I wanted to show a couple of co-workers...
Vyper, those videos were taken and posted by ExigeS. I have downloaded a copy from youtube and converted to .avi format. If you like, I can e-mail to you. Just shoot me a PM/e-mail.

#87 ·
Hopefully I'll be able to get out of work shortly - if so I'll see you there.

vyper005 said:
Me & a friend are meeting at middle run (in the upper grass field near where the trail starts,not all the way down to the paved lot) at 3:15pm today (Thursday) if it doesnt rain or snow...It s gonna be a light ride between 6 & 10 miles,normal easy pace....Anyone interested ??

#91 ·
Me & some friends went riding yesterday (Thanksgiving) at Middle Run...Conditions for the most part were great...just a little bit of mud in some areas...

I've been wearing SixSixOne shin pads ever since I wrecked pretty hard at Judge Morris about 3 months ago...Anyway they saved me from getting another huge gash on the very same spot...

There is a short log (about 10-12ft long about 2ft high) at the fiberglass bridge where the approach is just a few small logs put together and the other end is just a straight drop off about 2ft...I never tried it on my hardtail cause if you dont pull up the front wheel just right you will probably end up going over the handlebars...When we got there yesterday we saw that somebody had put a log on the end where it used to drop off to form a nice kinda steep down ramp...I said to myself," This is gonna be a piece of cake,any baby could do it "

There are 2 very small stumps on the ground before the approach which you have to go between..no problem....there are the semi loose baby logs leading onto the main log....no problem....there is a small hump on the main log that you have to watch out for...no problem..you have to keep you front wheel in the middle of the down ramp...problem...My front wheel was off to the left and it kinda missed the ramp...guess what ?? Over the handlebars I went..My shin hit the same spot as the JM crash but it didnt hurt at all...no marks no nothing...Nice :)

Moral of the story...Its much safer just to stay at home...eat turkey and watch football :thumbsup:

Oh yeah...You can never have enough protection :D

#97 ·
Eastcoaster said:
I'm looking to head down from PA tomorrow. Think it'll stay frozen? Dried out by now?
Just don't want to make the drive for wet/muddy/don't want to do any trail damage.
Not expected to be cold enough to freeze 2 nite,. I have not had a chance to get over to Middle Run in a couple of days, but Fair Hill was fine yesterday so I think White Clay will be fine also, assuming nothing major happens 2 nite.

Tim.

#100 ·
Did the skills trail today then from there went over to middle run...Conditions were alot better than Thurs but still muddy in certain areas...We were leaving just as it started to flurry...I would definitely forget about Sunday...It'll be pretty bad...

Note>>Someone, maybe the trailspinners, put some new logs in the ground at the very end of the skills trail along the last straightaway...pretty cool...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.