Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    This has been a year of rain, rain, and more rain!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i would love to try this trail. are there any more events like those this seson? Where can i find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    Couple of Trailspinners events this weekend: Trail work Saturday August 15th, meet in front of McGlynn's at 9am, usually done around noon. MtnBike101 (Intro to Mtn Biking), Sunday August 16th, 1pm at Nine Foot Rd parking lot.

mtbr member
    Just got back from Middle Run..Its about 98% dry....watch out for all those damn sticker bushes

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    rode there today and aside from a few soft spots trails were perfect as always rode snow goose, lenape, tri valley, bryans field, and chestnut hill

mtbr member
    was at the skills trail the other day and that narrow tree you have to get between in the very begininng is alot tougher due to the other tree close by that was uprooted....someone needs to fill that hole in & smooth it out...

Have you guys noticed this ??

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Isn't the point of that trail to sharpen one's technical bike handling skills? Why would you want to smooth over a trail specifically designed to test your skills? There's always your driveway or road riding for smooth rolling on a bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boconnell
    Isn't the point of that trail to sharpen one's technical bike handling skills? Why would you want to smooth over a trail specifically designed to test your skills? There's always your driveway or road riding for smooth rolling on a bike.

boconnell is a comedian

I dont wanna smooth over a trail just a large hole that wasnt there before....Im pretty sure that would make a difference....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I agree with you. I make it through the skills park with no problem, but ever since that tree has fallen, it is tough to get a good angle to go get between the trees. Especially with a 29er. I can only get through about 1 out of 5 times. Maybe I just need to get better, but before that part was the least of my concerns when going through.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by vyper005
    ....someone needs to fill that hole in & smooth it out...
    Anyone in particular come to mind?

mtbr member
    Not really...Why ??

mtbr member
    Why does this thread still exist? Isn't it called "1st trip to White Clay"? Can't you discuss your desire to have someone fill in a hole for you in a new thread?

Had to get that off my chest. This thread has existed far too long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351
    Why does this thread still exist? Isn't it called "1st trip to White Clay"? Can't you discuss your desire to have someone fill in a hole for you in a new thread?

Had to get that off my chest. This thread has existed far too long.
    Sparky351 does not like threads that exist too long...Sparky351 must have had a bad day...Sparky351 probably needs a hug...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anyone have an asphalt paver?

I'm still waiting for the espresso bar.

mtbr member
    ^
    ^
    ^
    Last edited by vyper005; 09-19-2009 at 01:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Anybody been out ?? Have the weeds died down a little ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by breilly
    I agree with you. I make it through the skills park with no problem, but ever since that tree has fallen, it is tough to get a good angle to go get between the trees. Especially with a 29er. I can only get through about 1 out of 5 times. Maybe I just need to get better, but before that part was the least of my concerns when going through.
    29'er specific trails.......as if MR/WC couldn't get any smoother.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    29'er specific trails.......as if MR/WC couldn't get any smoother.

I'm not talking about the smoothness of the trails. I acutally prefer to ride more technical places, I ride WCMR the most becase I am less then 2 miles away from there. I was talking about the angle you have to take in order to make it between the two trees on the skills park. It got much harder with the tree down next to it, and even harder with a 29er because of the wider turn you need to take.

Bicycle rider
    I will be driving up from Baltimore tomorrow for a meeting North of Philly at 11 am. If it doesn’t look like rain I am planning on bringing my bike and trying to ride White Clay on the way back. I have only ridden it once. Will anyone be riding tomorrow early afternoon that can show me around???
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Tim, Jim, Aaron...hope one of ya sees this request and hooks up with ExigeS...he's a very good friend and a strong rider, he'd love your routes (smooth and flowing)...give him a PM and meet up...thanks all...

Ed

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    E,

Love to help but I'm in California.

There are some folks riding tomorrwo afternoon, but I don;t know when. Check the trailspinners yahoo group (www.trailspinners.org follow link there).

Also, there are maps available in a kiosk outside the park office on Thompson Station Road. You will have no problem finding your way around with it in hand. All trails are great, does not matter which ones you do.

Tim

mtbr member
    Thanks Tim...CALIFORNIA!!!! Man thats my home, I miss it! In the meantime....I shot an email off to Jim at Fairhillbillies to see if any of them are riding to get in touch w/ExigeS and show him the ropes...I was there once last year with ExigeS it's just we didn't have the "good flow route" down to well...

Thanks again.

Bicycle rider
    I had a client meeting in PA today so I took my bike and stopped to ride White Clay on the way back. Trails are in good shape and a welcomed change from Patapsco. Lots-o-fun stuff to ride! I ran into a few guys from a local college who showed me around for about ½ the time I was there. I would like to go back and ride every trail in one day. Could probably do it in 3 hours or so. Here is my gps - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/14313709

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

take this:

http://www.kencox.net/map/wcc_middlerun_map_2.2.0.pdf

I recommend the Tri-Valley/Lenape trail from rt. 72 into Middle Run;that is one of the best down hill runs in the system. It looks like you missed it on your GPS.

Bicycle rider
    Thanks! I did print and bring that map with me. Without it I probably would not have had as much fun as I did. I did ride a lot of Lenape trail but not sure it I hit the section you are refering to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    Thanks! I did print and bring that map with me. Without it I probably would not have had as much fun as I did. I did ride a lot of Lenape trail but not sure it I hit the section you are refering to.
    Is your avatar a pic of the old rotten monkey tree that used to be at middle run ??

Bicycle rider
    Is your avatar a pic of the old rotten monkey tree that used to be at middle run ??
    No, that is a downed tree that was used as a jump in Patapsco. The trail was called DRUGS but is now closed

mtbr member
    I plan to ride at White Clay with my girlfriend next Tuesday (10/13/09). I've been there once before in May of this year. I don't know the trail system that well and would like to hook up with anyone who will be able to take us on a 20 mile loop or so if possible. Figure we can do an easy 8-9mph pace or go as slow/fast as you need to (if my GF can keep up ;-) Anyone available or up for it, please call me at 973-652-7464 and ask for Johan. Ride somewhere in the morning around 9am I figure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Johan,

Can't help with the ride since I'll be out of town, but here are two more options for you:

1) Trail maps are available at the Park office located at intersection of Thompson Station Road and Chambers Rock Road, Newark, DE.The maps are new and include all trail reroutes since the earlier map. The trails have sign posts, so you should be fine between them and the map.

2) Join the Trailspinners yahoo group (www.trailspinners.org - look for link to Yahoo group) and post there. It's a weekday, but you might be able to find someone willing to show you around.

Enjoy

Tim

mtbr member
    Kewl...thanks. Will get some maps and try to follwo the sign post. I know I'll remember some of the trails too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by habakak
    Kewl...thanks. Will get some maps and try to follwo the sign post. I know I'll remember some of the trails too.
    How was the ride ??

mtbr member
    Never made it out there. Decided on the drive back from Asheville to avoid the I-95 (too busy) and stopped by French Creek PA. What a dissapointment. Really wish I rather went to White Clay (I was there in May and really enjoyed it). I heard a lot of good things about French Creek, like it being all rocky and super technical. Well, I did 4 trails (which after speaking to a guy in the parking lot turned out to be the 'best' trails in the park) and was utterly disgusted with it. Of the 12 mile loop I did with my girlfriend, only about 1 mile could be considered singletrack. The rest were all washed out doubletrack. I have nothing good to say about this place. Unless you don't know what good singletrack really is, stay away from French Creek. What an abomination. I'm depressed just thinking of it

mtbr member
    Never made it out there. Decided on the drive back from Asheville to avoid the I-95 (too busy) and stopped by French Creek PA. What a dissapointment. Really wish I rather went to White Clay (I was there in May and really enjoyed it). I heard a lot of good things about French Creek, like it being all rocky and super technical. Well, I did 4 trails (which after speaking to a guy in the parking lot turned out to be the 'best' trails in the park) and was utterly disgusted with it. Of the 12 mile loop I did with my girlfriend, only about 1 mile could be considered singletrack. The rest were all washed out doubletrack. I have nothing good to say about this place. Unless you don't know what good singletrack really is, stay away from French Creek. What an abomination. I'm depressed just thinking of it
    Damn...Doesnt sound too good at all....

mtbr member
    Yeah, can't recommend French Creek. Damn. But you know, it's still great to just be in the woods and ride your bike. However, IMO it's not worth it to drive more than 0:30 to go ride there. I would rather drive 3 hours to get to White Clay instead. WC is something completely different. I just loved it. Well maintained singletrack that is just exhilirating to ride. Loved every inch of trail out there and hope to be back at some point this year or early next year.

mtbr member
    Yeah, can't recommend French Creek. Damn. But you know, it's still great to just be in the woods and ride your bike. However, IMO it's not worth it to drive more than 0:30 to go ride there. I would rather drive 3 hours to get to White Clay instead. WC is something completely different. I just loved it. Well maintained singletrack that is just exhilirating to ride. Loved every inch of trail out there and hope to be back at some point this year or early next year.
    Im local to WCC and I always manage to talk to people from NJ..PA & MD...Most of them say it's the favorite trail sytem because of the super nice flow

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    any group rides happening this saturday or sunday?

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude
    any group rides happening this saturday or sunday?
    Busy weekend for local riding:

There's a Newark Rider/EMS ride Saturday morning at 8am from the Bird Lot at Middle Run, then Sunday is the Trailspinners' Fairhill Jamboree.
    http://www.trailspinners.org/Jambo_Flyer[1].pdf

mtbr member
    I havent been out in over a month...How are the trails ??

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Trails were pretty good last weekend. David English has reopened but was definitely soggier then the rest of the park so I abbreviated my ride there. I havn't been out this week due to the rain and I am sure it's a complete mess now. Doesn't it figure I wait a month to build up my new 29er then I finally get it done and it rains all week!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsti
    Doesn't it figure I wait a month to build up my new 29er then I finally get it done and it rains all week!!!!!
    Always the case...that sux...There's gonna be plenty of other times though

mtbr member
    Anyone have a trail condition update? Rideonenine and trailspinners aren't telling me anything as of today or yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Anyone have a trail condition update? Rideonenine and trailspinners aren't telling me anything as of today or yesterday.
    Sorry, cannot give specifics because I have not walked there since Wednesday; however, we got well over 1" in the last rain. That, coupled with the season, and I would err on the side of caution.

We are planning to ride early tomorrow while the ground is still frozen just in case (done before 9:30 or 10:00). Generally, this time of year, the surface can appear dry and dusty in the morning (when still frozen). As the day heats up, moisture deeper in the ground is pulled upward and the surface becomes a thin, but very slick, layer of snot.

Keep in mind that might not be the case. It's possible the trails would be OK even after the thaw. It has been very low humidity and very windy the last 2 days. Of course, one would hope that if someone takes that chance they have the good judgement to not ride if it is too wet, or ride the available doubletrack (not directed specifically at you picassomoon, just a general comment).

Sorry I cannot be more specific. Work just keeps getting in the way of my recreation and ability to report on trail conditions .

TS

mtbr member
    Thanks sir. About what I figured. I probably won't be making it up there anyway, but wanted a report to be sure of the conditions.

mtbr member
    Has anyone ridden in the snow ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Has anyone ridden in the snow ??
    Yes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    wow, did you ride early this morning or were you trudging through 10 plus inches!!!! I tried riding down my unplowed street and that was extremely difficult!f I wanted to get up there to ride this morning but didn't wake up early enough to feel like I wouldn't be needing snow shoes!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Yes.
    Well.....Dont leave us hanging....How was it ?? How many times did you fall ?? Were your toes cold ??

mtbr member
    I rode this morning in the Wissahickon and it was perfect. There was ~2-3 inches of snow but it was firm enough to make ridding easy.

I can't imagine ridding in a place like Fair Hill with 14" of snow. You could never tell where the trail starts and ends!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well.....Dont leave us hanging....How was it ?? How many times did you fall ?? Were your toes cold ??

Just up and down the street

I had to work today so I couldn't make any group rides. Maybe tomorrow evening I'll try to get out.

As for the toes...........in the past snow situations I always were booties, wool socks, and toe warmers. No problems. And I always fall in the snow. That's the best part!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by picassomoon
    Here's a new update. I had 20" of snow on my back deck across from Middle Run as of Sunday morning.

TS

mtbr member
    Here's a new update. I had 20" of snow on my back deck across from Middle Run as of Sunday morning.

TS

Damn...Thats alot....
    Last edited by vyper005; 01-12-2010 at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Has anybody been out ??

mtbr member
    Was there on Saturday and the conditions were 'PERFECT"...going out today too...

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Was there on Saturday and the conditions were 'PERFECT"...going out today too...
    I believe I rode with you sat... Def a great day out there!

mtbr member
    Yep that was me, Ed, it was a good time wasn't it Todd...I went out last night too and got a little lost but we rode just about the same route...my buddy from down here in Baltimore that went loved it there too....that place really flows, the trails are so well maintained, riders respect the trails and dont ride when its wet (majority) cause there are very very few rutts...it sure makes it nice...appreciate the hell out of those that keep it maintained...it's also well built for water run-off...to keep the trails smooth.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Yep that was me, Ed, it was a good time wasn't it Todd...I went out last night too and got a little lost but we rode just about the same route...my buddy from down here in Baltimore that went loved it there too....that place really flows, the trails are so well maintained, riders respect the trails and dont ride when its wet (majority) cause there are very very few rutts...it sure makes it nice...appreciate the hell out of those that keep it maintained...it's also well built for water run-off...to keep the trails smooth.
    Just saw this...I think I kinda met you. I was the guy that talked about showing you the new bridge. Glad you had a good time!

mtbr member
    Yep that ws us Sinker...we'll see the new bridge next trip...it was just that we had come from that direction so wanted to keep moving forward...sure like that place...god meeting you.

Bicycle rider
    New bridge? Where is the new bridge? Was it built recently?

Smarter Than He Looks
    Yep that ws us Sinker...we'll see the new bridge next trip...it was just that we had come from that direction so wanted to keep moving forward...sure like that place...god meeting you.
    That was no problem. I wasn't going to cross the bridge again anyway, just passing it on my way back around my final loop. I was originally planning to ride with the Fairhillbillies that night, but didn't see anybody in the parking lot a little after 5pm (yeah, I know, I was early) so rather than waiting I drove over to the church and got started.

I'm Karl btw, I'm sure I'll see you out there again sometime.

mtbr member
    Man, I havent been in out in so long...

Does anyone make training wheels for mtn bikes ??

mtbr member
    Man, I havent been in out in so long...

Does anyone make training wheels for mtn bikes ??
    Yeah, what are the trails like down there? What about fair hill?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    video clip of White Clay and also a bit of Iron Hill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVz6vbO5DC8

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrhorn
    video clip of White Clay and also a bit of Iron Hill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVz6vbO5DC8
    sweet!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Man I miss that place. It has only been a month, but I moved down to the DC area. Anyone know of any comparable places down here?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I actually live in the DC area, I ride up in Delaware when visiting my parents in Newark. Where in the DC area are you? I know a lot of trails on the Maryland side.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    In Bethesda, right near Grosvenor Metro...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Up in Germantown there is an area called Shaeffer Farms, it's a lot like White Clay, fun and some fun log stuff to play around on. Little Bennett Park up in Clarksburg has some good climbs, beware of horse traffic on weekends though. Black Hills Park in Germantown is fun,not real challenging, but you can ride it then the Hoyles Mill Connector trail to Shaeffer and that will give you 2-3 hours of riding.

Go to www.more-mtb.org for tons of trail info. It's the best resource around.

Oh, and Patapsco Park near Baltimore is a lot fun and is really big, you can spend several weekends there exploring.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cool, definitely will check Schaeffer out and then Patapsco when I have more time.

mtbr member
    Just curious....Has anybody seen the trails at WCC or Middle Run lately ?? Condition ?? Any snow remaining ??

mtbr member
    Supposedly soaking wet mud as of Thursday. Do not ride status. http://rideonenine.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    There is still some snow in the woods on north-facing slopes. Trails still too muddy for riding.

About the same at Fair Hill, although the roads and doubletrack are rideable now, but there might be a snow patch or two in shady spots on the roads that see no traffic.

TS

mtbr member
    troutboy...VIGINIA WAS DRY TODAY....awesome riding, Laurel Hill is VERY similar to White Clay...not as many steeps either...going back down tomorrow had so much fun., going to fountainhead...

mtbr member
    Anybody have pics of the new bridge at Middle Run ??

mtbr member
    no pics, but I just rode by it today. It is HUGE. Really good work building it.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode on it on my last ride before I moved from Newark in January, it is really nice, but it was kind of cool crossing the creek on foot there too.

mtbr member
    The new bridge is pretty awesome
    Last edited by vyper005; 03-30-2010 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Anybody going to middle run or white clay this weekend ?? it's supposed to be pretty nice...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i wanna go, but i am worried about this rain. Its supposed to rain up until tomorrow at noon. When do you guys think it will be dry?

Im just gonna keep checking rideonenine.com and try to get out saturday or friday

mtbr member
    Anybody going to middle run or white clay this weekend ?? it's supposed to be pretty nice...
    ditto

what up w/the weather, north jersey got lot's of rain these past couple of day's. i'll be in south jersey for the holiday week end and was thinking about heading over to delaware if its dry enough, otherwise probably just go to gcc, ccc or ceres (south jersey)
    Look to where the river ends, or where the river starts...

mtbr member
    I'm heading down there saturday. The weather is looking pretty warm so I'm thinking the trails will be good by then.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Has anybody been on the David English trail recently ?? How is it ??

mtbr member
    I was on DE last Monday and it was great. Dry and fast. The whole of WC/MR had some mud pits in the lowest spots, most of them in WC. But overall everything was in prime shape. The big climb on the DE loop (going CW) was rutted to hell and back in the meadow part, but that doesn't seem to be unusual.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rode here yesterday. Trails are in great shape-they really take great care of this place.
    Just beware if you ride the Chunnel you will get your feet wet
    I'm gonna break my rusty cage... and ride

ol' dusty lungs
    Does anyone know how much the tolls from Baltimore to Newark are? Or if there's any decent route to avoid them? I'm hoping to come up and ride this Saturday

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the sloth
    Does anyone know how much the tolls from Baltimore to Newark are? Or if there's any decent route to avoid them? I'm hoping to come up and ride this Saturday
    $7 going up and $2 back if you get off at the Elkton, MD/Newark, DE exit. If not you will hit another toll that I think is $4 each way.

ol' dusty lungs
    Nevermind, figured it out... looks like I can slip through Baltimore on Boston St. and Elkton Rd. into downtown Newark to avoid the tolls.

ooof... except for the Fiver at the MD border?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DEride
    $7 going up and $2 back if you get off at the Elkton, MD/Newark, DE exit. If not you will hit another toll that I think is $4 each way.
    Yep, toll on I-95 in DE is $4. It's actually faster to get off at Route 72 (Elkton Rd) anyway to get to White Clay Creek.

No way to avoid the other tolls without going a long way out of your way. In Balto, you can go west on the beltway south of town and avoid the $2 tunnel fare, but not really worth it.

TS

mtbr member
    You guys think it will be dry enough on Friday to ride at Middel Run & White Clay ??

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    noob chiming in -- WCC/MR/JM on my cross bike was the most fun I've had on a bike in years, and convinced me to buy a MTB to enjoy further. The triple crown race (running) was saturday, great event and the trails were in good shape. I hit up Fair Hill afterwards to break in the new 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by troutboy
    Yep, toll on I-95 in DE is $4. It's actually faster to get off at Route 72 (Elkton Rd) anyway to get to White Clay Creek.

No way to avoid the other tolls without going a long way out of your way. In Balto, you can go west on the beltway south of town and avoid the $2 tunnel fare, but not really worth it.

TS
    Noob chiming in w/not so secret helpful hint - get off 95 PRIOR to crossing the chesapeake (Havre de Grace exit), and onto Rt. 40. When you cross the river on 40, BUY a pass at the toll booth - it costs the same as the toll, but will give you one year of "free" bridge crossings - better than e-z pass!

You can jump right back on 95 once you cross (and then get off the rt. 279 exit to avoid the DE toll!

mtbr member
    Tolls suck !!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Anybody been this week? I'm going to go saturday morning after i get back from puerto rico.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    heading to Whitney Farms after work. Can't wait - it's going to be a great day to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delawhere
    heading to Whitney Farms after work. Can't wait - it's going to be a great day to ride.
    How was it ??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How was it ??
    Friday was a great day to ride - If it weren't for work, I'd get a whole lot more riding done! Absolutely love starting @ whitley farms, tying into Bryan's Field, and the skills trail...although hitting the skills trail a time or two for "warm-up" is fun too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm going out this afternoon to do David English, Whitley Farms, and Bryan's Field. Should be nice -- I ran at lunch, weather was great and the trails were perfect (at Fair Hill).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Man, the trails were awesome today! Dry with great traction. I went out and parked at Hopkins Bridge road, then rode across to David English. I did part of that loop, then connected to Whitley Farms and Bryan's Field. I almost crossed over and did Middle Run, but I ran 6 miles at lunch and am not familiar with that area. That being said, I'd have been closer to my house than my car! I finished up the loops and got a nice 10 miles in. Great third ride on my first mtb! Get out if you can!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdwyer23
    Man, the trails were awesome today! Dry with great traction. I went out and parked at Hopkins Bridge road, then rode across to David English. I did part of that loop, then connected to Whitley Farms and Bryan's Field. I almost crossed over and did Middle Run, but I ran 6 miles at lunch and am not familiar with that area. That being said, I'd have been closer to my house than my car! I finished up the loops and got a nice 10 miles in. Great third ride on my first mtb! Get out if you can!
    Sounds like you had an awesome time....I was at Middle Run yesterday...did 5 miles...the trails were in great shape...alot of damn bugs already and the vegetation is growing pretty quick

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    yeah man I'm hoping to get out Friday as well. I love my new 29er!

mtbr member
    Has anybody been on that (maybe new) section of trail that leads from I guess part of White Clay to Papermill Park ??
    We got to it by the trail that crosses over Fox Den Rd....keep going straight for about a half a mile then the trail bears to the left and you have to cross another road....alot of new bridges and maintenance was done on it...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0