Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Whats the latest ??
    Last edited by vyper005; 12-23-2008 at 02:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Trails are thawed and muddy.

Need drying or freezing conditions before they will be ridable.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by troutboy
    Trails are thawed and muddy.

Need drying or freezing conditions before they will be ridable.

Sloppy wet the past few days, but supposed to be down to about 28 tonight. Think it'll be frozen up enough for an early Saturday morning ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    Sloppy wet the past few days, but supposed to be down to about 28 tonight. Think it'll be frozen up enough for an early Saturday morning ride?
    I rode middle run Sat (12/13/08) from 3pm to about 430pm...It wasnt that bad at all...The Delaplane Manor Hill....the Mountain Goat and the Corkscrew were fine.Anyplace on the trail where the sun hits was a little damp & muddy but not too bad.

mtbr member
    Has anybody tried the new log pile next to the long "Skinny" at the top of the corkscrew ??
    It's located on the trail that branches off at the very beginning of the corkscrew...It's about 8ft long...3 or 4ft high at one end & kinda crosses the 3ft ditch same as the other log...

After about 5 trys I rode the log pile on the downside but did not try to go up it....Its pretty steep and if you dont hit it just right you could be in for a world of hurt

mtbr member
    Has anybody been riding in the cold temps ??

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vyper005
    Has anybody been riding in the cold temps ??
    Mixed trail/road ride for 1.5 hours tonight. Trails will most likely thaw and be a muddy mess with tomorrow's rain. I just wish everything would stay frozen, maybe add some white fluffy stuff to play in.

mtbr member
    Anyone going out today (12-26-08) ??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was frozen solid at 5:30 this morning.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicmtbr
    It was frozen solid at 5:30 this morning.
    Still frozen at 8:30, but a few spots were getting snotty by 10:00. Ran into Vyper at the church parking lot, but I was done and he was just starting, so we didn't ride together.

Hope we get another freeze soon....the spin class is better than nothing, but it sure isn't the same as riding singletrack!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Doesn't surprise me that vyper005 waits until it's getting muddy before he starts;seems to be his pattern.

mtbr member
    I demand better treatment

I think I would rather ride in the snow than the mud...Take that...

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried this log pile at Middle Run ?? It's close to the top of the Corkscrew...Pretty cool...

Here's some pics..

mtbr member
    I rode Middle Run yesterday (1-1-09) from 2-3pm and the trails werent muddy at all...There were two downed trees that I ran across,one of them was at the beginning of the corkscrew.When I got there it was about 29 degrees with hardly any wind...not too bad at all...

On a side note...I ran into a group of 5 younger guys (< 21) with 2 of them wearing shorts,I said to one of them," I cannot believe you guys are wearing shorts in this cold ",he said, " I fee fine,I'm good." I said "Nice"

oh well...Anybody else go riding ??
    Last edited by vyper005; 01-02-2009 at 09:14 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Went to white clay for the first time today. I grew up in DE but didn't start riding again until I was living in Philly and riding Wissahickon Park/Valley Green 3+ days per week for 2 years or so. I recently moved back here and was sad that I would have to drive an hour or more to ride Valley Green. Turns out white clay is awesome riding (so far as I can tell now). I have been off the mountain bike but road riding only for about 2 years now and was excited to get out. I parked at Judge Morris and meant to ride over to the snow goose trail to make my way over into the park. I ended up riding the whole chestnut hill trail by accident which was a good warmup but nothing significant really. Really beginner trail here but that's probably what I should be on right now until I get my legs and skills back. I ended up riding over to Snow Goose and then to Lenape. I must have made a wrong turn somewhere because I was trying to get to the Whitley Farms trail but ended up back around by the double horseshoe trail which I rode. There were a few little obstacles that I practiced a few times to see if I still got it... I do but i'm nowhere near as fluid or fast (or strong for that matter). All in all I road for 1.75 hours including all the stop time to check my map and scratch my head. I plan to ride every weekend I can and weather permits. I may look into the trailspinners as well as I was always interested in doing some trail maintenance.

Custom User Title
    Has anybody had any issues with fishing line, and or rope across the trails behind JCC? About a year ago when I rode there, I hit some pretty low test fishing line just below neck level right behind the JCC. Thank god it was low test, and broke quick..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleStageDarkness
    Has anybody had any issues with fishing line, and or rope across the trails behind JCC? About a year ago when I rode there, I hit some pretty low test fishing line just below neck level right behind the JCC. Thank god it was low test, and broke quick..
    What's the JCC ??

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I think your talking about The Jewish Community Center up in the Brandwine Valley. I ride out there at at least once a week and have never seen anything like that.You'd think with all the walkers, runners, & bikers it wouldn't be there for long even if someone was putting it up on purpose.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    [QUOTE=TripleStageDarkness] [SIZE="5"]Thank god it was low test, and broke quick[/SIZE

Don't mention it...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    what is the condition of the park right now? I was hoping to squeeze a ride in tomorrow morning but don't know if it's already muddy or not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    rode last night and it was pretty solid. Keep an eye on the weather b/c the snow is suppossed to switch over to rain at some point. Just get out there early while it's still frozen.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=God of Everything]
    [SIZE="5"]Thank god it was low test, and broke quick[/SIZE

Don't mention it...

AHAHAHA!!!

ok...back to lurking
    "My Fat Hurts." - Me

mtbr member
    Anyone going to brave the cold temps and ride ??

Smarter Than He Looks
    Anyone going to brave the cold temps and ride ??
    It's not cold!! I rode last night at MR and saw quite a few other folks out there as well. Seriously, as long as my toes, fingers and ears are warm I'm good to go. I almost forgot it was cold out until I went for a drink and discovered that the sip tube of my camelbak was frozen.

FYI: There's a Trailspinners work day scheduled for this Friday at Middle Run. Meet at the McGlynn's parking lot at 9am.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinker
    It's not cold!! I rode last night at MR and saw quite a few other folks out there as well. Seriously, as long as my toes, fingers and ears are warm I'm good to go. I almost forgot it was cold out until I went for a drink and discovered that the sip tube of my camelbak was frozen.

FYI: There's a Trailspinners work day scheduled for this Friday at Middle Run. Meet at the McGlynn's parking lot at 9am.
    It wasn't too bad last night despite the 25 degrees. Trails were fast and frozen (along with my water bottle)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    It wasn't too bad last night despite the 25 degrees. Trails were fast and frozen (along with my water bottle)
    You guys are riding monsters !!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'd like to ride Saturday or Sunday morning if the trails aren't soft. I assume they will be frozen solid as the weather is supposed to stay cold. I will be riding the single speed this time for it's maiden voyage, can't wait!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsti
    I'd like to ride Saturday or Sunday morning if the trails aren't soft. I assume they will be frozen solid as the weather is supposed to stay cold. I will be riding the single speed this time for it's maiden voyage, can't wait!
    Trails should be frozen and fast! Perfect for that SS of yours. So what's the setup you'll be on?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex
    Trails should be frozen and fast! Perfect for that SS of yours. So what's the setup you'll be on?
    Not really popular on this board but it's a 2007 Cannondale 1FG frame with Ultra Fatty 80mm headshok fork
    DT swiss 240s single speed hubset, mavic xc717 rims, maxxis ignitor UST tires and stans
    Thompson seatpost
    Cannondale stem
    Easton monkeylite SL carbon bar
    Oury grips
    Avid Juicy 7 hydros
    Crankset is Truvativ stylo single speed 32 tooth
    Chris King steel cog 19 tooth
    I am currently on a WTB devo carbon saddle but it is crazy hard and uncomfortable so I will give it a ride or two and see if I warm up to it but I will likely change that.
    It's pretty light but I have not weighed it yet. I am hoping under 24lbs but can't be sure. My older Cannondale R2000 Road bike is in the 21 pound range so it's funny to have a mountain bike that is not much heavier.
    I have never ridden a single speed so I am not sure how I am going to like it. I have always wanted one to see what it's like so here I go.
    Last edited by Doctorsti; 01-16-2009 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    *** Update 1/20/09 ***

Just got back from Middle Run, temp was about 29 deg.All trails were snow covered & pretty solid.My Kenda 2.35 front tire gripped like a champ

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fach
    If you like descents, check out the whiteley farms loop.

Pssshhhh. Screw the decsent...if you like climbing ride the WHITELY Farms loop counter clockwise

Smarter Than He Looks
    True story! That's one long climb with very few breaks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Last night the trails were..........ummmm..........dusty? Weird. Great conditions though!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    tried to take advantage of the day and ride since it sounded like the trails might not be mush... well they were mush about 50% of the trail that I rode. Brian's or something, I think it was. I aborted the ride early obviously to save the trails so I was bummed that my single speed debut was cut so short. I love it so far. Can't wait to get back out to White Clay to ride the whole thing one morning when it dries out a bit.

mtbr member
    Sunday around 10 a group will be out. I'm 50-50 on making it. It should be nice and cold so the trail will be solid.
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    ***Update***
    Just rode Whitly Farms & David English today (1/25/09) from 9am-10am...Temp was around 21 deg with hardly any wind...I probably saw around 25 people including 2 large groups of riders...No wonder....It was Fast & Frozen

On a side note >>> I just picked up some North Face Denali fleece/nylon gloves at Dick's for $25 bucks and I'm pretty dissapointed, even with no wind my hands were super cold...every so often I would stop just to back my hands out of the gloves and make a tight closed fist for warmth... they have decent flex and control to them but they dont do the job...Any recommendations ?? Something kinda thin...flexible and really warm for temps below 20...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    is that the best place to ride in the area? would love to try it someday

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

On a side note >>> I just picked up some North Face Denali fleece/nylon gloves at Dick's for $25 bucks and I'm pretty dissapointed, even with no wind my hands were super cold...every so often I would stop just to back my hands out of the gloves and make a tight closed fist for warmth... they have decent flex and control to them but they dont do the job...Any recommendations ?? Something kinda thin...flexible and really warm for temps below 20...
    I've been using MSR Coldpro gloves for years. They work well down into the single digits, but my hands are still always cold until I'm warmed up, and chugging along.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revved
    I've been using MSR Coldpro gloves for years. They work well down into the single digits, but my hands are still always cold until I'm warmed up, and chugging along.

They seem pretty nice...The Blue ones look pretty sweet...
    You got me thinking....I might just check out Cycle Gear in Bear...I guess it doesnt matter if they are motorcycle gloves as long as they keep your hands warm...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ***Update***
    Just rode Whitly Farms & David English today (1/25/09) from 9am-10am...Temp was around 21 deg with hardly any wind...I probably saw around 25 people including 2 large groups of riders...No wonder....It was Fast & Frozen

ya gotta get the gloves with "windstopper" skip the north face and get ems brand - that will save you $15

Never trust a fart
    The Performance Nanook work wonders in the bitter cold. Unfortunately I don't own a pair yet. lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The Performance Nanook work wonders in the bitter cold. Unfortunately I don't own a pair yet. lol
    Did you use someone else's or did a friend tell you ?? I might check'em out...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Just rode this afternoon from 2 to 3:30! Great conditions. Snow on the ground but not so much to make it difficult really. I had lots of fun riding Bryans field, Whiteley farms, and David English. I do have a question though about the ride today. I am not really familiar with the trails so I was riding Bryans field clockwise starting where the bryans connector drops you off. I came upon a fork in the road after the monument cutoff I think where if you went left and then parallel to the bryan field trail you could drop down into a little gully and through a drainage pipe (a darn big one at that). Where does that take you? I may check it out next time. Anyway what a ride today. Skills trail would have really required some skill today if anyone was brave enough to ride it.
    One more question, are there any trails in the park or nearby parks that have lots of logs/obstacles to get over. So far there has only been one 10-12 inch log and then a big mama log that I need to get some more practice before I take a shot at it.

mtbr member
    drainage pipe (a darn big one at that). Where does that take you? I may check it out next time. Anyway what a ride today. One more question, are there any trails in the park or nearby parks that have lots of logs/obstacles to get over. So far there has only been one 10-12 inch log and then a big mama log that I need to get some more practice before I take a shot at it.

It takes you to Middle Run. And yes there is a whoooole bunch of log rollers, skinnys,
    and techy areas. Check out kencox.net for a pretty sweet map of it all. How did you
    like your ss??
    And a good day to you sir!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If your looking for a lot of logs try brandywine and woodlawn. There are PLENTY of logs to test your skills on there. I wish there were more skinnys to ride there but it seems like when anyone builds something, people just rip it down or destroy it. It's a shame because there is tons of potential there. Regardless it has enough to keep you on your toes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nucmedjim
    It takes you to Middle Run. And yes there is a whoooole bunch of log rollers, skinnys,
    and techy areas. Check out kencox.net for a pretty sweet map of it all. How did you
    like your ss??
    Absolutely love it. I am not sure if I will go back to my Rocky Mountain ETSX anytime soon. I am running a 32/19 combo now as I was unsure how my fitness was or how I would be with the mild climbs at white clay. I may change that to 32/18 as I seem to be able to clear all the climbs I have come across without too much difficulty. So far I have not come across any technical climbs like I was riding in Wissahickon State park/ Valley Green in Philly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Absolutely love it. I am not sure if I will go back to my Rocky Mountain ETSX anytime soon. I am running a 32/19 combo now as I was unsure how my fitness was or how I would be with the mild climbs at white clay. I may change that to 32/18 as I seem to be able to clear all the climbs I have come across without too much difficulty. So far I have not come across any technical climbs like I was riding in Wissahickon State park/ Valley Green in Philly.

There aren't any real long climbs at MR/WC so you can feel happy to throw on that 18t cog. You also won't find tech climbs because 1) there aren't any climbs 2) there aren't any difficult sections. It's just a whole lot of fast and smooth trails.

If you want to climb and like to climb rocks then head over to brandywine.

mtbr member
    I was looking for a pair of cold wheather gloves so I just picked up a pair of Motoboss Mercury gloves at Cycle Gear...They were on sale for $28 bucks reg $35...They seem real nice for the money but as they say...the proof is in the pudding...The guy at Cycle Gear says they have a 100% satisfaction gaurantee...Just bring'em back if you dont like'em...We'll see...

Here's a pic & the specs...

Features and Benefits
    Full waterproof-barrier lining for total wet-weather comfort
    Adjustable dual-strap gauntlet
    Polyester-fiber insulation provides outstanding warmth
    Full leather palm and fingers with double layers in high-wear areas
    Abrasion-resistant nylon back for flexible, lightweight protection
    Hard knuckle protection for additional impact safety
    Precurved finger construction allows for excellent fit and function
    Reflective piping on fingers and gauntlet increase visibility
    Last edited by vyper005; 02-01-2009 at 06:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Man I really hate crappy weather...I havent even tried out my new winter riding gloves...

Smarter Than He Looks
    Man I really hate crappy weather...I havent even tried out my new winter riding gloves...
    Don't start....I bought a new bike (GF HiFi) and haven't ridden it yet!

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast