Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1st Trip to White Clay Creek, Newark, DE

96K views 712 replies 113 participants last post by  Puddle 
#1 · (Edited)
So I drove down the New Jersey Turnpike for 45 minutes or so, and I found myself at White Clay Creek in Newark, Delaware. I was supposed to go a few weeks ago, but I was sick and couldn't make it. Well, I made it down this past Saturday, and I must say, this is a fine place to ride! I printed Ken Cox' map earlier in the day, and wouldn't you know, I forgot to pack it. Fortunately, the trails are well marked and the place is fairly easy to navigate.

I did the Lenape Trail, Bryan's Field Trail, the skills trail, the Earth Day Trail, and one other which I can't recall. I was thoroughly impressed with the skills trail. I've seen several photos of the skills trail on various forums, and I always thought that it looked rather "simple." Well, this was the first time I rode any type of stunt or obstacle, and I have a new found respect for those northshore riders. This is not as easy as it looks. To be honest, I think the mental portion of it is the toughest to overcome. Riding it wasn't extremely difficult, although I had some trouble on the skinnies next to the suspension bridge. I walked through the skills trail the first time just to see what was there, etc... I was kinda sketchy about the suspension bridge, so I opted for the skinnies on the left. I nearly endo'd on the first teeter, just before the suspension bridge. It seems like it is missing 1 plank or something. I hit it twice, and it happened each time. I dunno...maybe I'm just hitting it wrong??? Overall, the skills trails was really nice, and I can't wait to hit it again.

I rode for about 2 1/2 hours, until it starting getting dark. Ran into quite a few friendly people as well. I had a great experience here and can't wait to hit it up again to explore everything I missed.

Zig Zag Bridge....not as easy as it looks.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Suspension bridge...yeah, you don't see too many of these out on the trail. Weird to ride it.

choices; A) Long skinny, B) Whoops, or C) Rock Garden

Earth Day Trail

Bryan's Field Trail

See less See more
#327 ·
I plan to ride at White Clay with my girlfriend next Tuesday (10/13/09). I've been there once before in May of this year. I don't know the trail system that well and would like to hook up with anyone who will be able to take us on a 20 mile loop or so if possible. Figure we can do an easy 8-9mph pace or go as slow/fast as you need to (if my GF can keep up ;-) Anyone available or up for it, please call me at 973-652-7464 and ask for Johan. Ride somewhere in the morning around 9am I figure.

#328 ·
Johan,

Can't help with the ride since I'll be out of town, but here are two more options for you:

1) Trail maps are available at the Park office located at intersection of Thompson Station Road and Chambers Rock Road, Newark, DE.The maps are new and include all trail reroutes since the earlier map. The trails have sign posts, so you should be fine between them and the map.

2) Join the Trailspinners yahoo group (www.trailspinners.org - look for link to Yahoo group) and post there. It's a weekday, but you might be able to find someone willing to show you around.

Enjoy

Tim

#331 ·
Never made it out there. Decided on the drive back from Asheville to avoid the I-95 (too busy) and stopped by French Creek PA. What a dissapointment. Really wish I rather went to White Clay (I was there in May and really enjoyed it). I heard a lot of good things about French Creek, like it being all rocky and super technical. Well, I did 4 trails (which after speaking to a guy in the parking lot turned out to be the 'best' trails in the park) and was utterly disgusted with it. Of the 12 mile loop I did with my girlfriend, only about 1 mile could be considered singletrack. The rest were all washed out doubletrack. I have nothing good to say about this place. Unless you don't know what good singletrack really is, stay away from French Creek. What an abomination. I'm depressed just thinking of it :bluefrown:

#332 ·
habakak said:
Never made it out there. Decided on the drive back from Asheville to avoid the I-95 (too busy) and stopped by French Creek PA. What a dissapointment. Really wish I rather went to White Clay (I was there in May and really enjoyed it). I heard a lot of good things about French Creek, like it being all rocky and super technical. Well, I did 4 trails (which after speaking to a guy in the parking lot turned out to be the 'best' trails in the park) and was utterly disgusted with it. Of the 12 mile loop I did with my girlfriend, only about 1 mile could be considered singletrack. The rest were all washed out doubletrack. I have nothing good to say about this place. Unless you don't know what good singletrack really is, stay away from French Creek. What an abomination. I'm depressed just thinking of it :bluefrown:
Damn...Doesnt sound too good at all....

#333 ·
:D Yeah, can't recommend French Creek. Damn. But you know, it's still great to just be in the woods and ride your bike. However, IMO it's not worth it to drive more than 0:30 to go ride there. I would rather drive 3 hours to get to White Clay instead. WC is something completely different. I just loved it. Well maintained singletrack that is just exhilirating to ride. Loved every inch of trail out there and hope to be back at some point this year or early next year.

#334 ·
habakak said:
:D Yeah, can't recommend French Creek. Damn. But you know, it's still great to just be in the woods and ride your bike. However, IMO it's not worth it to drive more than 0:30 to go ride there. I would rather drive 3 hours to get to White Clay instead. WC is something completely different. I just loved it. Well maintained singletrack that is just exhilirating to ride. Loved every inch of trail out there and hope to be back at some point this year or early next year.
Im local to WCC and I always manage to talk to people from NJ..PA & MD...Most of them say it's the favorite trail sytem because of the super nice flow :thumbsup:

#338 ·
Trails were pretty good last weekend. David English has reopened but was definitely soggier then the rest of the park so I abbreviated my ride there. I havn't been out this week due to the rain and I am sure it's a complete mess now. Doesn't it figure I wait a month to build up my new 29er then I finally get it done and it rains all week!!!!!

#341 ·
picassomoon said:
Anyone have a trail condition update? Rideonenine and trailspinners aren't telling me anything as of today or yesterday.
Sorry, cannot give specifics because I have not walked there since Wednesday; however, we got well over 1" in the last rain. That, coupled with the season, and I would err on the side of caution.

We are planning to ride early tomorrow while the ground is still frozen just in case (done before 9:30 or 10:00). Generally, this time of year, the surface can appear dry and dusty in the morning (when still frozen). As the day heats up, moisture deeper in the ground is pulled upward and the surface becomes a thin, but very slick, layer of snot.

Keep in mind that might not be the case. It's possible the trails would be OK even after the thaw. It has been very low humidity and very windy the last 2 days. Of course, one would hope that if someone takes that chance they have the good judgement to not ride if it is too wet, or ride the available doubletrack (not directed specifically at you picassomoon, just a general comment).

Sorry I cannot be more specific. Work just keeps getting in the way of my recreation and ability to report on trail conditions :D .

TS

#345 ·
wow, did you ride early this morning or were you trudging through 10 plus inches!!!! I tried riding down my unplowed street and that was extremely difficult!f I wanted to get up there to ride this morning but didn't wake up early enough to feel like I wouldn't be needing snow shoes!

#347 ·
I rode this morning in the Wissahickon and it was perfect. There was ~2-3 inches of snow but it was firm enough to make ridding easy.

I can't imagine ridding in a place like Fair Hill with 14" of snow. You could never tell where the trail starts and ends!

#348 ·
vyper005 said:
Well.....Dont leave us hanging....How was it ?? How many times did you fall ?? Were your toes cold ?? :D
Just up and down the street:p

I had to work today so I couldn't make any group rides. Maybe tomorrow evening I'll try to get out.

As for the toes...........in the past snow situations I always were booties, wool socks, and toe warmers. No problems. And I always fall in the snow. That's the best part!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.