Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Rode Mountian Goat->Corkscrew->Mills Race trail combo yesterday in Middle Run...holy crap that was fun! phew Corkscrew gets fast at the tail end!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XxRedbaronxX
    Rode Mountian Goat->Corkscrew->Mills Race trail combo yesterday in Middle Run...holy crap that was fun! phew Corkscrew gets fast at the tail end!
    Have you ever tried the mountain goat in the harder/opposite direction ?? pretty sweet...

mtbr member
    I havent been out in about a month...sore back...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    This seems to be the general purpose thread for whiteclay so I figured I post my question here.

Are there any general use areas in or around the park that your allowed to drink at? I'd like to have a few of my friends do a combined mountain bike ride and follow it up with some grilling action (burgers and that kinda thing) and beer.

mtbr member
    I got a invite to go ride at white clay with friend, its about 1.5 hrs away.

First off any advice on what trails are beginner, names or colors?

Second he wants to ride Monday ( Labor Day) is it usually packed on a holiday? manageable or wait and go up on a off day?

-Thanks
    Clydesdale: 315lbs (July 2010) now down 35 lbs on my journey from obese to triathlete...

http://iambigtuna.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuna
    I got a invite to go ride at white clay with friend, its about 1.5 hrs away.

First off any advice on what trails are beginner, names or colors?

Second he wants to ride Monday ( Labor Day) is it usually packed on a holiday? manageable or wait and go up on a off day?

-Thanks
    Trails conditions at White Clay right now are Dusty and like a side walk. All the trails are beginner friendly. The skills trail and the corkscrew you might want to avoid.

As for being packed. It is every weekend. But, not too bad.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't think there's any "general use" area close to the trails - and I don't think you can have alcohol anywhere in the park (I got warned for having an unopened 12 pack in my backseat last fall by a ranger).

It kind of sux, because it would certainly be nice to finish riding & grab a beer w/your friends before splitting up, but there are watering holes close by to every parking area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Blast.

So much for that idea...

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoobieNeil
    Blast.

So much for that idea...
    Don't be too disappointed...Delawhere mentioned the local watering holes. Check out McGlynn's Pub for one. Tuesday's special is 1/2 price burgers and $2 Yeungling pints, and Wednesday features $2 craft pints (yes, that means Dogfish 60min IPA & Sam Adams Octoberfest) and ayce wings for $10.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Sounds like a good time for during the week. I was more or less thinking of bringing my friends down to DE for some weekend action. Do a little riding and follow it up with a little BBQ. Doesn't that sound nice? Whiteclay's perfrect for that because most of my friends that would be interested in dedicating the majority of a day to mountain biking would be discouraged by steep climbs (elsewhere) but pumped for the fast rolling trails (here). Hence, I'd be able to get more people to come out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sounds like a good time for during the week. I was more or less thinking of bringing my friends down to DE for some weekend action. Do a little riding and follow it up with a little BBQ. Doesn't that sound nice? Whiteclay's perfrect for that because most of my friends that would be interested in dedicating the majority of a day to mountain biking would be discouraged by steep climbs (elsewhere) but pumped for the fast rolling trails (here). Hence, I'd be able to get more people to come out.
    You could ride in the morning, then do beers & football @ a local watering hole. From your posts, I'm guessing your not in Delaware, which is why you wouldn't be bbq'ing at your house?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    yea, I'm a little over an hour north of whiteclay.

I've gone to a watering hole many times after riding, but I still kinda feel like a dirt bag walking in kinda dirty and sweaty. I probably stink too.

mtbr member
    still kinda feel like a dirt bag walking in kinda dirty and sweaty. I probably stink too.
    Who knows...maybe some hot chicks dig that...

mtbr member
    Wow White Clay is awesome, finally got a chance to ride up there from Baltimore and it was well worth the ride up. Rode Tri Valley-Snow Goose-Whitely Farms and Boundary Line not sure of the order but had a blast. Sucks the rain came and we had to leave just when we got warmed up

Heres my GPS route, was this the preferred route?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50699970
    Clydesdale: 315lbs (July 2010) now down 35 lbs on my journey from obese to triathlete...

http://iambigtuna.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Tuna

Heres my GPS route, was this the preferred route?

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/50699970
    There really is no preferred route. Does not matter too much which way you go on any trails. They ride great any direction, with the possible exception of the Judge Morris loop that seems to flow better counterclockwise. Makes is very easy to pick and choose and have fun with some loops.

You saw about 1/4 of the total trail mileage if you did 7-8 miles. There are also trails in Middle Run (adjacent to WCC) that are even nicer.

And regarding the weight loss - well done man. Pretty soon you'll be riding all 30 miles in one ride.

TS

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Nice!
    I rode about 4 hours on Friday:
    started at the Pike Creek church off Polly Drumond Hill Rd. did a quick loop on the field spur > chestnut hill (clockwise) > chestnut hill cut-off > CH connector > snowgoose > corkscrew > midle run > lenape cut-off > chunnel > post mark west > brians field > skills trail > whitley connector > whitley field (clockwise) > david english loop (clockwise) > whitley field > brian field cut-off > post mark west > chunnel > lenape > lenape cut-off > finish at Pike Creek Church.
    Took a good digger on david english, going too fast. Awesome ride with good friends!

mtbr member
    I rode yesterday morning before the rain came....Did anyone else notice Whitley Farms adding more trails ?? There was some sort of machinery as soon as you cross the field and start to enter the woods from the parking lot...I saw about 6 new wide paths right off of the main trail...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Actually saw them working on that on Friday but didn't get a chance to ask anyone about it.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Great conditions today. Very sticky dirt and only saw 2 very small mud holes. Only passed 1 other rider in 2 hours. Whats up with that ?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougr
    Actually saw them working on that on Friday but didn't get a chance to ask anyone about it.
    I'm wondering if its going to be a pump track. I saw a bunch of new trails sprouting off every which way but they're all in a relatively small area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    I'm wondering if its going to be a pump track. I saw a bunch of new trails sprouting off every which way but they're all in a relatively small area.
    Did you ride one of them ??

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vyper005
    Did you ride one of them ??
    No, they weren't even close to rideable yet. I should have walked down a few but I had to get home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rode today from about 930-1230, saw a lot of people more then i normally do on a wednesday . Conditions were pretty much perfect. I notice i Subaru IMBA outback parked in the lot by the bryans fields trailhead. pretty cool!

Less yappin, more Brappin

Today's ride

2.5 hours approx...

From the MiddleRun parking lot

Lenape Cutoff -> Lenape Trail -> Bryan's Field (CCW) -> Whitely Connector -> Whitley
    Field (CW) -> Gravel uphill to Whitely Field parking lot -> Whitely Connector -> Skills Trail -> Bryan's Field -> Lenape -> Double Horseshoe (CCW) -> Possum Connector -> Possum Hill (CW) -> Snow Goose (CCW) -> Mountain Goat -> Corkscrew -> SG Cuttoff -> Snow Goose (CCW) -> Lenape (CW) -> Lenape Connector -> parking lot.

Good stuff, only a few puddles, mostly tacky hard and fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    As many of you may already know, White Clay and Middle Run are maintained by the Delaware Trail Spinners, so please com and enjoy the Fairhill Jamboree just minutes from Whiteclay!!!!

The Delaware Trail Spinners would like to invite all mountain bikers in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey and other areas to a group ride at Fair Hill. Let's all get together to share our enthusiasm for the sport and willingness to help each other in building and maintaining multi-use single track in the Mid-Atlantic area.

The date is Sunday, November 7 (Sunday November 14th is the rain date), and the location is the Fair Grounds near Walls Hall at Fair Hill NMRA. Registration will be held from 8-9 AM with the rides beginning at 8:30 AM and lasting for about 2-3 hours. Members of the Trail Spinners will serve as personal guides for small groups of riders (approx 8-10) to show you some of the best and most beautiful single track in the mid-Atlantic area. DTS guides will tailor the speed and distance of the ride to suit each group. Distances flexible but usually will run between 8 and 20 miles. We'll provide bail-out points or give directions to anyone who may need to head back to the parking lot early.

More info:
    http://trailspinners.org/jamboree.html

mtbr member
    I havent been out in over a month.....Whats the latest with the Whitley Farms new trails ??
    Has anyone been on them ??

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Heading down tomorrow and riding as much as my legs will withstand. I'll check out those new areas they were cutting and report back if no one else beats me to it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Keep in mind it's now hunting season!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstStateCamber
    Keep in mind it's now hunting season!
    I'll wear my fur leggings and antlers.

They seriously allow hunting in white clay ? That place seems way too busy and wide open for that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'll wear my fur leggings and antlers.

They seriously allow hunting in white clay ? That place seems way too busy and wide open for that.

What he is saying is that many of the trails will be closed for hikers and bikers. Sunday would be a much better day because there is no hunting.

You'll still be able to ride at Middle Run and the Judge Morris section of White Clay Creek + some sections within White Clay proper; however, approximately 10 miles of trail will be closed. The chunnel will be closed so you will need to access any open trails on the White Clay side of Possum Park road by parking in on of the pay lots or by crossing Possum Park Road at the intersection with Middle Run Corssing subdivision.

You'll still have about 15 miles of open trails though, even with the hunting closures.

TS

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Guess I'm going tomorrow. Hope the weather stays this nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

parking and loop

I might be able to try White clay for first time this week. Can someone suggest where to park and a good loop to try. |I have the ken cox map and will look for the map in the park. Prefer more flowing singletrack the super techy stuff when I am just trying to work in a weekend ride.

Was orginally planning to just go and explaiore make it up as I go but figured I would ask due to hunting season.

thanks in advance.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer
    I might be able to try White clay for first time this week. Can someone suggest where to park and a good loop to try. |I have the ken cox map and will look for the map in the park. Prefer more flowing singletrack the super techy stuff when I am just trying to work in a weekend ride.

Was orginally planning to just go and explaiore make it up as I go but figured I would ask due to hunting season.

thanks in advance.

Park in the Middle Run Natural Area lot on Possum Hollow Road (Google Tri-State Bird Sanctuary for an address for your GPS). The lot is on the left just before a gate across the asphalt road (Possum Hollow Road). The gate will open, but turn left just before it onto a gravel road and follow to the end.

You can ride anywhere in Middle Run and the Judge Morris Section of White Clay Creek.

As long as you stay on the Middle Run side of Paper Mill Road (Route 72), you will be fine. You can easily get in 15 miles without doing any major section 2X.

I suggest going left out of the lot. At the first junction, go right and follow it almost to to Route 72 (major road) taking a right. If you miss it, backtrack about 200 feet and take that junction (now a left). Cross the creek on a wood bridge and take a right (left leads to the Chunnel and the area closed for hunting). From there, you'll just need to explore because it would take an essay to give all the turns.

Your Ken Cox map will work, although some new trails might be missing. The official park map is pretty much up to date and you can use it to plan some good loops also.
    Last edited by troutboy; 11-15-2010 at 07:28 AM.

http://surlyrider.wordpress.com/2010...d-for-hunting/

Just so you are all aware Iíd hate for someone to plan on riding at White Clay and then find out the trails are closed.

The annual shotgun hunting season at White Clay State Park is upon us! The first week is Nov 12-20, then Dec 16-18, and Jan 15-22. During these dates, the trails are CLOSED to all other uses (including mountain biking!). Judge Morris only has archery and the trails can be used, just be careful. We can ride at Middle Run. There is usually a special hunt in January, usually a Monday and Tuesday at Middle Run, with professional hunters so the trails are closed. I donít know the dates of that. If someone does, please let us know.

If you want more info on White Clay hunting, hereís a link

http://www.destateparks.com/download...ules-10-11.pdf

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks to you both. Might not work out now so might just ride in MD or VA that day instead. Will have other chances here post hunting season.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i was up there saturday hoping to ride. had an awesome ride at nearby fair hill, with its over 100 miles in trail
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

so fast and good

Pics from 10/20, 10/28 and 11/23...
    10/20

10/28

11/23

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    No progress on whatever they're doing in the brambles off Whitley Farms.

Whats up with all the riders on $2-3,000 bikes today without helmets ? Can't afford another $50? Its all fun and games until you smash your head into a tree.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No progress on whatever they're doing in the brambles off Whitley Farms.
    Invasive species control. I think the plan is to thin out and create breaks, then burn out the invasives when conditions are right.

TS

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Now that you say that it makes perfect sense. The cleared out areas are so random it couldn't be trails.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffss
    Pics from 10/20, 10/28 and 11/23...
    10/20

Unfortunately this gem is full of leaves right now.

consumes mass quantities
    Unfortunately this gem is full of leaves right now.
    ...but still very ride-able.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by troutboy
    Invasive species control. I think the plan is to thin out and create breaks, then burn out the invasives when conditions are right.TS
    Damn...I thought they were some new trails being created

mtbr member
    Has anybody been out on the trails recently ??

consumes mass quantities
    Quote Originally Posted by vyper005
    Has anybody been out on the trails recently ??
    I was out last Tuesday night during the snowstorm.
    It was great!
    fyi: there is hunting all this week in White Clay State Park, so it's probably best to avoid the area and stick to either Middle Run only or Fair Hill, MD. I'm not sure how frozen the trails are going to be this week, but use your better judgment if you go out.

mtbr member
    Any trail updates ??

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not sure if there is a recent thread for Fairhill. Went out this morning and it was unrideable. Crunchy snow was too deep to make progress.I was hoping after the warm days it would melt but no dice. It was also 13F so pretty chilly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    a video I shot awhile back of White Clay. I will make a new video this spring after I get my HD helmet cam. This one is okay but the new HD stuff is a lot better. The steep trail at Iron Hill (I forget the name) was fun but the steepness didn't come out in the video. Actually steepness is never evident from a helmet cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVz6vbO5DC8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidrhorn
    a video I shot awhile back of White Clay. I will make a new video this spring after I get my HD helmet cam. This one is okay but the new HD stuff is a lot better. The steep trail at Iron Hill (I forget the name) was fun but the steepness didn't come out in the video. Actually steepness is never evident from a helmet cam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVz6vbO5DC8
    Nice Work

mtbr member
    Great video. I've hunted White Clay and Judge Morris (archery only) for the past four years. I've only hiked the trails to scout, but haven't ridden a mtb in 10 years. Just ordered my first 29er from Wooden Wheels in Newark, DE. I plan on joining the Trailspinners in April. I am a Clyde noob, so hopefully there will be some good advice on the beginner trails until I get the hang of the bike.
    I live less than 5 miles from White Clay/Middle Run, so I'll be out alot this spring/summer.
    Cheers,
    Mike