Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your first ride

mtbr member

Your first ride

For those of us who started this sport in the glory days 70's - 80's what was your first Mountain bike and what are your thoughts on it? Does she hold a special place in your heart? Lets hear the back story.

I still remember the first time I saw a MT bike it was 81-82 and I was on a trail behind the school. I was like wow what is that and that began a desire to own one. I bought my first in 1984 it was a Ross Mt hood. Ross was a big name back then and the Hood was one step down from the best. It was a Chromoly frame and no suspension of course. One thing that has fallen by the wayside was the bike had a shoulder strap so you could throw the bike on your shoulder and carry it in rough terrain. If you cant tell I loved the bike. But alas first the handlebars broke, I had them welded. Then the frame broke at the chain stay. I kept the bike for years fully intending to one day have it repaired. I still miss her and find myself checking ebay for a replacement.
    Last edited by RossJamis; 08-31-2013 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well, my first Mtn bike was/is a 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp - Pearl white and blue.
    I bought this bike while working at the local bike shop through an employee discount program. I still have the receipt from 7/8/88. Ive recently repacked the original deore hubs for the umpteenth time and installed a set of hybrid 1.50 tires I still ride it 20-25 miles per week in short 5 mile rides each morning before work.
    I was lucky enough to have grown up working in that bike shop and remember so many cool bikes. I always loved the Mongoose John Tomac we had hanging in the window. I bought each of my kids Fuji 24" bikes from the same shop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey,by the way, My FIRST serious bike was/is my 1985 Mongoose Expert also bought new at the same shop I worked at and bought my Rockhopper Comp. It hangs in my garage as decoration.

mtbr member
    1983 and it was a Bianchi - I don't recall it having a model name and it was only mountain bike in the shop. Heavy, purple-ish blue, fitted like a road bike. It survived 4 years until it was stolen - broken rear axle and all - and replaced with a Canada-only Ritchey K2. That was my first real mountain bike in that it was set-up - essentially - like all the non-suspended bikes I've had since.
    Last edited by mainlyfats; 09-01-2013 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not sure if you could call it a mtb, but it was offroad capable and my first bike. It was the Yamaha MotoBike! I think it was '76 or so.

Dual suspension!

Name:  74motobro.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  29.5 KB

I guess my first real mtb was a Gary Fisher Joshua. Didn't like the DS at all and switched a year later to hardtail.
    Looking for a left side indicator window for a Shimano ST-M950

mtbr member
    My first 'real' mtb, 1991 Yo Eddy---saved and schemed for a year to get it. And I still have/ride/race it 22 years later

Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    My first MTB was an 86 or 87 Sekai Mountaineer. A fairly mediocre bike but it got me hooked. It was replaced with an '89 DB Axis Team which really got me hooked.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Lets hear the back story.
    So I jump ship in Hong Kong and I make my way over to Tibet, and get myself on as a looper at a trail over in the Himalayas. So, I tell them I'm a pro guide, and who do you think they give me? The Dailai Lama himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald . . . striking. So, I'm on the first trail with him. I give him his bike. He hauls off and jumps it - big jumper, the Lama - right over this ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? "Gunga galunga . . . gunga, gunga-lagunga." So, we finish the trail and he's gonna stiff me, and I say, "Hey, Lama! Hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

velocipede technician
    I want you to kill all the golfers
    looking for 20-21" P team

Stokeless Asshat
    Post of the month Sizzler.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Team Brooklyn
    1985 (or might have been '84) Cannondale. 24" rear wheel, high BB - seemed great for climbing over wet roots and moss covered rocks at races in the NE.

No real nostalgia for that bike or any bikes I had back then.
    Tools to be enjoyed and raced.
    Parts and frames swapped like dirty laundry to get the "next best (and for me, the lightest) thing". Plus had to go with sponsor's stuff.

I've kept all those that had real meaning since - except for one that I will forever regret selling, fool that I was/am. But that's another story.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Why?

They make such nice lightning rods.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Post of the month Sizzler.
    Agreed

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    First it was the Schwinn cruiser frame with Toughneck stem and bars, plus KKT pedals that my buddy's step-dad gave me in 1985.

Broke the downtube in front of a girls soccer team in Davis one day, they were laughing wildly as I looked like an idiot with a bike nearly spilt in half.

Second one was the lightly-built Special Ed StreetStomper. Bought it March 12, 87 at Wheelieworks in Davis, and I was doomed from then on. Breaking frame after frame I never had so much fun!

Best of all, here it is almost thirty years later and I went back to rigid in 1999, screw shocks!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Retro on Steroids
    I broke the first five or six converted "clunker" frames that I rode. Then Joe Breeze built me the coolest bike ever, which now resides in the MTB Hall of Fame.

Taking delivery, 1978:

It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

mtbr member
    Around the neighborhood on my new college friends 24/26 Cannondale. Way too small but I knew I had to have one for my own. Bikes are long gone but my friend isn't.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    Taking delivery, 1978:
    Great picture!

velocipede technician
    Is that a young james McLean holding that bike?
    looking for 20-21" P team

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Is that a young james McLean holding that bike?
    The inventor of the mountain bike? That would be so cool.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I broke the first five or six converted "clunker" frames that I rode. Then Joe Breeze built me the coolest bike ever, which now resides in the MTB Hall of Fame.
    Great picture, CK. Beautiful bike.

ong
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My first real MTB was a neon purple Alpinestars, which I gradually tricked out with a ridiculous number of 3DV components as the stock stuff snapped and sheared off. That bike has just been reborn as the Fixiestars, and is even more ridiculous now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    80's Rockhopper Sport, my brother still has it actually. It showed me that my fitness level wasn't up to mountain biking heh and now that I've started riding again after all those years, it still isn't.

I was able to ride a century on the road bike back then but when it came to trying to hop logs and deal with the deep sand here on the trails, the mountain bike didn't get a lot of use.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    '93 Mongoose Alta all terrain was my 1st non-Huffy mtn. bike (I was 4 or 5 in the early days of the sport). I got the frame from my step grandpa, who picked it up from a missionary he knew who was headed home. He liked to buy old bikes and weld them together to make tandems and other creations. He thought the frame wasn't steel (he wasn't aware that chromoly is steel) so he didn't dare weld it.

Frame in hand, I saved and bought parts and built it up a little at a time. The first front wheel I put on came from my Huffy Mt. Fury. It was 24" and had a threaded axle instead of QR. I didn't get it tight enough, and the 1st time I tried to bunny hop a pothole on my street the front wheel dropped to the ground mid-air, and rolled away!

That bike taught me to ride, wrench, and how to recover from crashing. I explored the desert and mountains around my home town on that bike, and kept it for a long time. It finally ended up being used for a Jr. High shop class I was teaching, and I accidentally left it when I took a new job.

20 years later, I still love to ride, and am a self admitted bike nut. I have so many bikes that I keep them in the spare garage in the back yard so as not to be in the way in the main garage.

Stokeless Asshat
    My first "great" bike was a late 80's Monster Fat. Prior to that it was a series of low end Raliegh's and Ross's. Everything I own now is "interesting" on some level.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast