Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator

You'd think I'd know...

Being all Cannondaley and whatnot.

But I don't.

These were way too dear when I was working in Cannondale shops BITD, always wanted a set though.

Cannondale CODA Magic Mtb Crankset 44-32-22T 180mm Silver - Bikewagon

BikeWagon finally answered stage one of this particular dream, by accepting my $200 offer.

Now I need to find a BB, or, more correctly, some info, so I can find the right BB.

The modern SI/BB30 spindles won't work, as they have metric threading, and the Magics had English, so it needs to be an old one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what my good inside contact a Cannondale said.

So, trying to figure out spindle length, as well as if I can run them on a 73mm BB shell, or just 68mm since that's what Cannondale always used, and info on these is rarer than the chunks of metal themselves.

Anyone?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Are those the cranks that break a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Are those the cranks that break a lot?
    No, you're thinking of the bikes.

Actually, these have a pretty good rep over all, but like all parts, ride it hard enough, and it'll break. Fortunately, with as many bikes as I have, I tend to spread the love......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

So, trying to figure out spindle length, as well as if I can run them on a 73mm BB shell, or just 68mm since that's what Cannondale always used, and info on these is rarer than the chunks of metal themselves.

Anyone?
    There's only 1 spindle length and 3 different sets of cups 68mm, 70mm, and 73mm.

BB's pop up from time to time on eBay.

I assumed the threading on them was metric since the stud took a 6mm key but admittedly never had a reason to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    There's only 1 spindle length and 3 different sets of cups 68mm, 70mm, and 73mm.

BB's pop up from time to time on eBay.

I assumed the threading on them was metric since the stud took a 6mm key but admittedly never had a reason to check.
    Perfect! Thanks Shayne.

Great, now I need to find one out of three cup sets, sweet.

So, with one spindle length, I guess there was just extra poke out on the non drive side with the shorter ones?

GOB, yeah, I've seen them too. But, like most of the shyte we collect, they just speak to me. Kinda like Toplines, and all the other CNC crap that snapped like popsicle sticks BITD.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Perfect! Thanks Shayne.

Great, now I need to find one out of three cup sets, sweet.

So, with one spindle length, I guess there was just extra poke out on the non drive side with the shorter ones?

GOB, yeah, I've seen them too. But, like most of the shyte we collect, they just speak to me. Kinda like Toplines, and all the other CNC crap that snapped like popsicle sticks BITD.
    Trade thread, MCS. C'mon...work it!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

The cups were different widths to take up the difference. The 68mm cups were longer/thicker than the 73. Its the same thing all the external BB's are doing now but instead of a spacer + 73mm cup, the 68mm cup has a built in spacer.

The cups were different widths to take up the difference. The 68mm cups were longer/thicker than the 73. Its the same thing all the external BB's are doing now but instead of a spacer + 73mm cup, the 68mm cup has a built in spacer.
    Slick, now I get it.

You'd have thought I'd pay attention. I guess I was too busy going, man, I can't afford that stuff, the hell with it....

Oops.

Yeah, trade thread, looks like a few orphans may be floating around these here parts.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Sneaker man
    I alwyas thought the magic mototcycles cranks were cool...but not the coda ones! how simialr/different were they to the originals, and how much did they change through time.
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    I alwyas thought the magic mototcycles cranks were cool...but not the coda ones! how simialr/different were they to the originals, and how much did they change through time.
    Mine don't say "Coda" does that help?

To my knowledge, these are constructed in the same manner as the MM versions, no idea how or why the two became linked, and what manner of corporate evil Joe Montgomery did to Alex Pong BITD.....

Agreed though, the MM was way cool, and ahead of it's time. A big part of why so many liked Cannondale back then too.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Your threads are going to be hard to be searchable someday. They all have cryptic titles.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Your threads are going to be hard to be searchable someday. They all have cryptic titles.
    I like not being searchable. Makes me feel more specialer when I get a zombie thread.

Got it this AM, sexy! Right down to the OE, CNC'd rings.

Shayne, had a thought, I'll assume the 73's will be harder to find than the ubiquitous 68's. Any reason you can think of why I couldn't toss 2, 2.5mm modern spacers on a 68?

Also, got any pics of the set up? These are sans hardware, and I'm guessing the BB I eventually find, won;t have bolts etc, unless I get lucky.

Thinking on buying a bike that has the crank set up, just for a BB. Wouldn't be the first time....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    The only REAL difference to the Magic Motorcycles was that MM had a proprietary chainring and the Cannondales used either 110/74 or 94/58.

Mendon, you're thinking the opposite way. You'd need to remove 2.5 mm from the 68mm cups to run them 73mm. The 68mm cup is bigger so if you used in in the wider 73mm shell there wouldn't be enough spindle sticking out.

I have at least 1 extra crank bolt/stud...maybe a pair as well as extra bearings, shims, and install tools.

slow
    I got a lot of good years out of this one. When I first posted this pic last summer, I got a bunch of PMs about selling the BB, so they must be hard to find. However, I have been hanging onto it and keeping an eye out for a new left crank arm to complete the set. I showed it to our regional C'Dale rep and he said he had just liquidated a whole bunch of the single crank arms, so my timing on the break was just wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You'd think I'd know...-crank.jpg  

slow
    Also, got any pics of the set up?
    Is this what you are looking for?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails You'd think I'd know...-p1190339.jpg  

You'd think I'd know...-p1190340.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey,

I may have what you need. I also have the original owners manual with setup instructions. Let me know if you need a copy or if you can's find the BB/spindle. I still ride a set on my road bike regularly and have had zero issues (I am a 6'3" 200 lbs+ gear masher too). The BB/Spindle/Spacer setup is very critical though if you want drag free operation and long bearing life. Micro spacers are need to shim the bearings correctly. Facing the BB shell is a must also (and useful for making micro adjustments to the bearing preload sometimes)!

Shane

Shayne, thanks, yeah, I'm an idiot. What I get for writing while doing multiple things...

Correct, if I had a 73 and wanted to fit to 68, THEN I'd need spacers. Oops.

I guess I'd just like some idea of the bolts etc I should be looking for, in case I run into purchasing multiple lots... Any pics would rock (whenever you get a chance, no rush).

Unless I'm mistaken, the bearings are just BB30's, no?

sgltrak, thanks for the carnage pics

$200 seemed a good deal, No idea if you need 180's though.. BikeWagon if you care, you might even offer lower, they were pretty happy at two bills it seemed. Pic wise? I need one of either the bolts, or the crank installed, I just see a hole in the arm, and know the bolt threads into the spindle. Doesn't look obvious to me, and the external bolt if that's how it worked, would mangle the exterior, color me confused.

sam1030, thanks for the info. Kinda figured they'd be similar in set up to a modern external BB set up, sounds like that's the case. Got a spare BB in your hip pocket?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

velocipede technician
    Bolts are doubled thread, on side reversed
    looking for 20-21" P team

Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    Bolts are doubled thread, on side reversed
    Got it, cool, thanks. sgltraks' second "parts" pic wasn't there last night when I was looking, either a web burp, or he added it, makes all the difference though!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Ex-Clydesdale
    I believe the shop I used to work at still has a NOS set of these along with a BB, I'll have to ask. I always thought the interface design was ahead of it's time.
    '94 RSBikes Stampede (commuter), '05 Prophet, '09 Scattante XRL Team, '10 Slice 4
    Retired: 97 C-DaleSuper-V, 05 C-Dale R5000

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
    I'll have to ask. .
    Yes please!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hi Shane
    could you provide me with a scan of the manual, because I got problems with the installation of the BB
    Thanks
    Stefan

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

CODA Instalation Instructions

Attached...
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Attached...
    Thanks!
    cheers
    Stefan

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    You can attach a freaking PDF? Who knew! Is this a new thing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast