Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Yeti-man's Yeti Pro FRO disc version

Finally after all these months of planing, buying, bidding and building :-)

Build thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136070

Youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBHk_SWr0wY

Frame: Yeti Pro FRO

Fork: Answer Accu-Trax

Headset: Chris King 1 1/4 Grip Nut
    Stem: Answer A-TAC
    Handlebar: Answer Tapperwall
    Grips: Yeti
    Barends: NA

Brakes: Formula Pro+
    Brake Pads: Formula Pro+
    Brake Cables: Formula Pro+
    Cantilever cable hangers: NA
    Brake Levers: Formula Pro+

Shifters: Shimano 3/8 speed (generic)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XT 735 top pull
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano 600 Short
    Derailleur Cables: Biltema black teflon
    Cassette: SRAM 8 speed
    Chain: Taya 8 speed
    Cranks: SRAM Stylo 175mm
    Crank Bolts: NA
    Chainrings: SRAM
    Chainring bolts: SRAM
    Bottom Bracket: SRAM
    Pedals: Welgo

Hub Skewers: Generic
    Rims: Syncros DP25
    Hubs: DT Swiss/Hügi disc
    Nipples: DT brass
    Spokes: DT Revolution black
    Tyres: Continental Speed King 2.3 Supersonic
    Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Evolition 2
    Seatpost: Sette APX Carbon
    Seatpost Binder: Titanium M6 Bolt

Weight: not important

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thats yummie. Interesting mix of old and new. You had disk tabs installed, right? I always liked the way huge tires look on a classic Norba geometry racer. Who makes the cable housing??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhart View Post
    Thats yummie. Interesting mix of old and new. You had disk tabs installed, right? I always liked the way huge tires look on a classic Norba geometry racer. Who makes the cable housing??
    Hi thanks, the disc tab retrofit and work/chopping on the frame was done by local bike smith hero Truls Erik Johnsen at Johnsen Frameworks (http://www.johnsenframeworks.com/). Paint is done by Opems in Moss Norway. I did the rest my self even some of the decals, the rest of the decals are from Yeti and Velocals.com. The gear cable houses are Fuji and the cables are black teflon.

It rides like a dream!

mtbr member
    I've been following this over on Retrobike. It turned out really nice. I don't know if I would have had the boys to do that to this frame though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It would be impossible to hang in a pack of riders on fully modern bikes, nor is it likely to have full resale value. As an aesthetic object, it succeeds, though.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    I kinda liked it in the original yellow. Still a nice ride though.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Nicely done. I like the modern upgrades, they look nice on that frame.

Enjoy riding it, it looks like a lot of fun!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by uphiller View Post
    It would be impossible to hang in a pack of riders on fully modern bikes,
    -I disagree. The right rider will keep high speed in this rig - up there with the best...

nor is it likely to have full resale value.
    -Whos interested in resale value ?

As an aesthetic object, it succeeds, though.
    -Thanks. It is more than just an aesthetic "object". Its light (beeing a steel rig) super stiff and have unmatched handling. No modern bongo-bongo suspension bikes can match this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Nicely done. I like the modern upgrades, they look nice on that frame.

Enjoy riding it, it looks like a lot of fun!
    Thanks yes indeed it is a joy to ride. I still just can come over the handeling these Yeti FROs give you. Though it is not a technical single track bike - this is a fast dirt road/fire road bike.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Nice job. I really like the look of the bike. One criticism; needs either a Shimano or American boutique crank - the Stylo looks out of place.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

gobsmacked Moderator
    Nice ride. I would mount the tires differently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki View Post
    Nice job. I really like the look of the bike. One criticism; needs either a Shimano or American boutique crank - the Stylo looks out of place.
    - Yes I agree, but until a suitable crankset surfaces the Stylo sticks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Nice ride. I would mount the tires differently.
    - Why? The front and rear "forward rotation" tire markings are correct...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by digilux View Post
    - Why? The front and rear "forward rotation" tire markings are correct...
    I always mount the tires so one of the labels lines up with the valve stem. This makes it easier to find the cause of flats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    I always mount the tires so one of the labels lines up with the valve stem. This makes it easier to find the cause of flats.
    Yes... but the it will be a aesthetic miss match with the rim decals ;-)

Anyway the valve position is always aligned when I build the wheels so the hub decals are opposite to the valve ;-) .... and how can you miss a bright yello valvecap ;-) ?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhart View Post
    Who makes the cable housing??
    Looks like jagwire ripcord "titanium" color.

Very cool project.

Put a wider handlebar on it and I could hang with other riders on modern bikes no problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Looks like jagwire ripcord "titanium" color.

Very cool project.

Put a wider handlebar on it and I could hang with other riders on modern bikes no problem.
    The gear cable houses are Fuji and the cables are black teflon.
    ;-)

Stokeless Asshat
    It would be impossible to hang in a pack of riders on fully modern bikes, nor is it likely to have full resale value. As an aesthetic object, it succeeds, though.
    Where do you get this? In a ridged to ridged comparison what do you see as the glaring differences? Weight?
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Needs to be singlespeeded..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LIFECYCLE View Post
    Needs to be singlespeeded..
    Singlespeed... never! The most stupid looking thing I see are multiple gear bikes converted in to singlespeeds, but a Blacksheep is on my list

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Stupid looking things:

Exhibit A

mtbr member
    So Digilux why did you decide to add disc. I like how it stands now and i'm glad you decided to remove the old bosses.

It would be impossible to hang in a pack of riders on fully modern bikes
    Statements like these irritate the hell out of me. The benefits of actually knowing how to ride a bike (any bike) far outweigh the benefits of simply suspending one.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    Statements like these irritate the hell out of me. The benefits of actually knowing how to ride a bike (any bike) far outweigh the benefits of simply suspending one.
    i believe legs will win the race.

artistic...
    I like it as well. it goes along well w/ a Yeti. Was it a Ritchey P23 but a yeti , kinda suits..

Hi.
    Interesting restomod - I would've kept the yellow, but the paint and decal job looks good too. Keep us updated if you ever decide to coordinate your accent colors between the orange grips, green bar, and pink jockey wheels .

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Where do you get this? In a ridged to ridged comparison what do you see as the glaring differences? Weight?
    Of course not rigid to rigid. On fireroads of course a rigid bike is great... today I hopped on my dad's Cinelli rigid MTB, which I had just switched out the 135mm stem for a 110mm one... the mid 90's geometry, rigid fork, and more modern stem length makes a rad-feeling bike, really a blast for rolling slow technical lines where brake dive is a liability. I just see rigid bikes now and think of my arms and back, there is just no way for me for fast riding on bumpier terrain. If somebody can pull it off, more power to them.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

Stokeless Asshat
    Don't trip over you're heels back peddling.

Want:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    Be irritated. Rider skill and fitness being equal, a rigid bike is superior only in certain offroad conditions, ie fireroads and fast dirt roads, which is what digilux said he's using it for.
    Yes, riding rigid hones your skill, yes, a skilled rider on a rigid bike will do better than a schlock on a Trek Fuel, and yes, suspension can take away some of the experience of trail riding. But it generally allows higher speeds. Personally, I love the way the old bikes ride, as long as they have a bit wider bars and a stem shorter than 135mm.

Stokeless Asshat
    I agree about ride position. I'm on the search for 110 11deg 1" Salsa stem for my AlaCarte. I have no clue how i use to ride that thing as well as I did with a 130 and 3 deg flat bar.

Want:

Ambivalent Luddite
    Digilux - That's awesome!

Very nice build, I like the looks of the wheels.

artistic...
    It would be impossible to hang in a pack of riders on fully modern bikes..
    Bull... industry propaganda. A FS may be more comfortable. May be more efficient. May be supersonic.. but riding is about the rider. That's not cheap talk but telling it as it is. Any talented rider will leave others in the dust no matter what they are riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Bull... industry propaganda. A FS may be more comfortable. May be more efficient. May be supersonic.. but riding is about the rider. That's not cheap talk but telling it as it is. Any talented rider will leave others in the dust no matter what they are riding.
    I didn't mean to discount rider talent.
    But talent and fitness being equal, the guy on the FS gets to the finish line faster (as long as the trails warrant having an FS- rigid bikes rock of course on fire roads).

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I didn't mean to discount rider talent.
    But talent and fitness being equal, the guy on the FS gets to the finish line faster (as long as the trails warrant having an FS- rigid bikes rock of course on fire roads).
    I'd have to disagree, at most of the races I attend the fastest riders are on carbon hardtails with short travel forks, or rigid 29ers.

mtbr member
    Legs or machine.... I must say I like your empirical analytic methods ha ha

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Legs or machine.... I must say I like your empirical analytic methods ha ha
    Fitness (legs, lungs, ...), machine, terrain, skill.

artistic...
    i had this ridin buddy who came from a skateboard background. Paperthin. His bike was a Trek 850 or somethin w/ a 1/2 in travel quadra 10 and bald, wasted 1.9 tires.
    He would outclimb everyone on the most technical stuff and drop everything.. fast and comfy.

mtbr member
    yea an then you had this guy... "The lung" or "Deadly-Nedly" who rode those ridiculous "mountainbikes" from Specialized.... he beat them all even JT!

artistic...
    no matter how many bikes Rumpfy builds, he will always be slow.. and we still like him.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I dought there is much out there that would show this bike and rider it's back bumper in an uber- tight rooty mixed dirt condition singletrack. The short stiff front end was the norm for quite a while. Ballsy riders got used to 'useing the force' when decending. It took finesse of course, but you discovered who really had skill. Or not. Teetered on both sides of that fence, depending on my conditioning. If I was in shape I had the wherewithall to hang tight on the few downhills, and smoke the rich guys on their 'new' full sus'er's everywhere else. When you're tired, you make mistakes. And crash. Nice bike. Too pretty to get dirt on it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What Valhart said is true: having some nuts is important. Often that goes with being young. The most dangerous stuff I did I did when I was 19 or so... on a rigid bike with a flat 135mm stem. I also remember riding some down some hills with a guy on some for the time really avant-garde FS bike, 6" of travel or so, but pedalable. He blew past me in total calm while I was spending lots of energy searching for lines. The hill was not even that long.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    To be fair, a skilled riders body is the best suspension that I know of. Got hardtail. Got softtail (Silk ti). Got in between (Slingshot). When in shape the bike doesn't make me much faster no matter which one I grab. I have to admit that learning how to do a bumpy decent on a full ridgid DOES take some learnin'. Your eyes get all blurry if you clench the bars like a hobo on a ham sandwhich. Let the saddle nose slip around 'tween you're inner thighs and all that jazz. You have to let everything 'float'. They should name some suspension item that someday.

mtbr member
    Geez guys. It's really not that complicated and it seems like we do this about every 6 months. Yes, lots of us long time riders with skill can keep up with rookies on their modern bikes..... BUT, rider for rider on demanding terrain the full rigid bike gets severely left in the dust. Suspension not only allows you to fly through rough stuff, but it is also a huge factor in braking; front brakes whether it's a canti or a disc just don't work well when the front tire is not sticking to the ground through the gnarly stuff while braking hard. And the harder and faster you ride, the more important and more difference suspension makes. For real technical slow stuff I could see how it could be a hindrance in certain situations.

Next time we see a pro DH guy using a full rigid we'll know it's just the rider that matters.

Heck, even the World Cup XC bikes these days have 4" front and rear.

That said, the Yeti is kinda neat. I'd put it in the "hot rod" category. Not really my cup of tea, but wouldn't mind having something like that maybe someday.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 07-09-2011 at 03:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Sorry. Sometimes I get cranky if I haven't had my evening beer. Yeah, I suppose this topic likely has been done to death @ some point. Still a nice bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    yall need to take off the spandex and stop trying to race (and argue) one another to death.

Very cool bike for sure. im a big fan of geared fully rigids, and this tops the list for coolest of the coolest.

good job

FreeRider 4 Real (not!)
    I am surprised the US guys have not asked the question "how are u going to run drop-bars?" yet.

BTW, maybe u can find a JT Raleigh team edition here, some guys own the frames here (they are kept in the cellar in the main lodge btw keep it secret ok). Might be a perfect frame for your next hack.
    Federation Against 29:ers
    In memory of nino - godfather of weight weeniesm, banned but not forgotten, sept 2010.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erkan View Post
    I am surprised the US guys have not asked the question "how are u going to run drop-bars?" yet.

BTW, maybe u can find a JT Raleigh team edition here, some guys own the frames here (they are kept in the cellar in the main lodge btw keep it secret ok). Might be a perfect frame for your next hack.
    for the drop-bar department there is a FRO including a Accu-Trax at my local customs office waiting for my pickup. Yes it will become my next project victim - no I will not chop it - It will be a JT Yeti FRO drop-bar replica :-)

mtbr member
    OK this evening I tried the KCNC Barebone K-Type crank set, Im not sure about the look fit the frame/rest of the bike, but hey what a flying crank!

(sorry some poor image qualiy from my old iPhone)

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    It's better than the Stylo, I'd like KCNC stuff a lot more if they didn't laser-etch the crap out of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki View Post
    ...I'd like KCNC stuff a lot more if they didn't laser-etch the crap out of it.
    agree
    No points to garage queens!

"Mum it's not a bike - it's a Yeti" (my daughter explaining things)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast