mtbr member
    Jul 2004

XT threaded headset Ė dust seal?

Was there a dust seal on threaded XT headset between crown lace and bottom headset cup? Itís the one with loose retainer bearings in it, not the cartridge one. I donít find a seal in my box but it was from years ago Iím not confident if I had it kept all in one package properly. I noticed the grease oozing out after a ride in a hot day, it made me wonder. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XT threaded headset Ė dust seal?-sp9250009.jpg  

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Yes

I just repacked one over the weekend and there is a seal for the crown race/lower cup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    some company used to make neoprene race socks

lizard skins?

yip!:
    http://lizardskins.com/store/product...n/headset-seal

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm not sure about the effectiveness of the socks as it drips after riding hard.

Hey Shayne, was it just a circular rubber seal that or was there a metal base that sits on the race/bearings interface? If so how/where does it sit?

On a added note, do you know of any "replacement" sealed bearings that can pop into these cups? Doubt it, but these bearings are significantly oversided compared to other loose bearings that I have.

Thanks guys.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake

Hey Shayne, was it just a circular rubber seal that or was there a metal base that sits on the race/bearings interface? If so how/where does it sit?

Thanks guys.
    Its a thin plastic(Ņrubber?) ring that sits on the edge of the race. It looked the same as the seal on the top half of the headset but I wasn't paying all that much attention. I can get a photo of it later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    That would be wonderful, thank you for that. I just need to know what to look for in my junk box :-)

While these oversized bearings are super smooth, durable and nice, the headset weighs a ton compared to regular threaded headset.

mtbr member
    The seals are plastic, a good bike shop might be able to order them. I would cut out a 1 inch piece of inner tube and slip it over the bottom cup and over the crown race when the fork is installed, works great.
    chris ioakimedes

mtbr member
    Here is an instruction sheet for the XT headsets which shows the plastic washers

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wonderful information, thank you, thank you.