Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XT 7 speed RapidFire shifter woes

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Built4Speed 
#1 ·
Hey guys; I have a pair of 7 speed Deore XT SLR Plus shift pods( part# ST-MO92) that I'd like to re-use but there's a problem with the right side brake/cable attachment. If I had a photo,I could show you guys.
The internal part where you put the round cable-end does not line up with the outer cable slot on the lever body.I'm just wondering how in the world did Shimano install the cable? I have no way to remove the old frayed cable because the cable-end is partially obstructed by the outer body.I could remove the brake lever itself but there's a pin that's pressed-in instead of a freakin' screw! Grrrrrr!!! Can I tap this pin out with a soft mallet and a tapered punch without damaging it?
The right side shift/brake pod is fine.I could drop-in or pull out the cable end with no problem.The left side is a mystery to me. I would like to use the XT pods again for a project because mechanically,they worked fine years ago. A good example to stick with topmount shifters I guess. Any help is appreciated.:confused:

#2 ·
Built4Speed said:
Hey guys; I have a pair of 7 speed Deore XT SLR Plus shift pods( part# ST-MO92) that I'd like to re-use but there's a problem with the right side brake/cable attachment. If I had a photo,I could show you guys.
The internal part where you put the round cable-end does not line up with the outer cable slot on the lever body.I'm just wondering how in the world did Shimano install the cable? I have no way to remove the old frayed cable because the cable-end is partially obstructed by the outer body.I could remove the brake lever itself but there's a pin that's pressed-in instead of a freakin' screw! Grrrrrr!!! Can I tap this pin out with a soft mallet and a tapered punch without damaging it?
The right side shift/brake pod is fine.I could drop-in or pull out the cable end with no problem.The left side is a mystery to me. I would like to use the XT pods again for a project because mechanically,they worked fine years ago. A good example to stick with topmount shifters I guess. Any help is appreciated.:confused:
Im lost. Post a pic. Ive never had any trouble removing a cable. Im thinking though you just have to squeeze the lever in a bit to get it to line up.

BTW, that lever comes off very easily. There is a small set screw holding that pin in. In my opinion its much better than a bolt like most other brake levers. This eliminates slop for the most part.

#3 ·
Sorry.No camera at the moment.The bike this part came from was used.I see tap marks on this pin.I'm going to try to dis-assemble it at the shop today.Looks like the only way I can replace a cable is to knock/slip off this pin.It's hard to picture it without a photo.Thanks for your help.

#4 ·
Built4Speed said:
Sorry.No camera at the moment.The bike this part came from was used.I see tap marks on this pin.I'm going to try to dis-assemble it at the shop today.Looks like the only way I can replace a cable is to knock/slip off this pin.It's hard to picture it without a photo.Thanks for your help.
Im pretty sure I understand what you were saying and I think you just have to release the cable and housing from the barrel adjuster and squeeze the lever in slightly to make it line up...

#6 ·
Got it out.

Thanks for your help guys.I did what you guys were suggesting.I've worked on many levers before and done what you've suggested but this one is a mess.But I was able to tap out the pin and removed the lever from the lever housing.I then installed a new cable and re-installed the pin and lever.When I replace the brake cable in the future,I'll just have to tap out the pin again. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.