Thread: XC Pro or XT

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

XC Pro or XT

I have an 89 Monster fat that has XCE and X1 parts. Im going to be ugrading. I dont have anything with XC Pro. Should I go with the XC or set it up with XT?
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

XC Pro or XT

I always have thought XC was cool, but I think XT works better. Go XC!

Certified Bike Junkie
    Unless you have the XC Pro already just sitting, I'd stick with XT. Xt tends to be a little less finicky about set up and is usually easier and cheaper to find parts.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

mtbr member
    I agree with Muddy Buddy

illuminaughty

But....

XC-PRO does have a certain mystique and it looks damn cool...nuff said.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Tracking down nice XC Pro is tough or $$ .....unless you find a parts bike. Like everyone said, XT will be easier to find, set up, and use.

That said, I vote XC Pro
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

XC Pro or XT

Yeah. They're different enough to be hard to vote on. I like both and like diversity.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    XC pro shifters IMO are the best. I'm still using them!

I've used XT, prefer the screw on top of the XC vs the plastic press on cap on XTs. Once you break or snap that off, game over.

mtbr member
    They still work with the caps off (which are held on by a screw). And in all the years I've used them I've never busted a cap. haha! That said, I do love the feel of the XC Pro shifters but I think the XT system shifts better with the Hyperglide and all. One of the nicest setups I've used was the 8 speed XC Pro (rare) with an 8 speed XTR cassette and RD. Very nice.

Try and find some 8 speed Suntour Ergotecs. One of my favorite shifters ever. If someone was to breed Grip Shift and Rapid Fire, Ergotec would be the result:

mtbr member
    I have the same bike, with the same component group. The XCE/X1 component group seems to work great (almost brand new), although it is not top of the line. Any reason you are feeling the impetus to upgrade (not that there is ever a bad reason)? Did something finally break that I should be on the lookout for?

If you have a chance, can you post a photo(s) of your bike? I would love to see another '89 Monster. I've only seen one other posted on this forum.

BTW, I am running an almost new XC Pro 7 speed Microdrive gruppo on my '92 Kona and it performs very well in the mud and the dry. It has not been finicky to either setup or maintain. I did notice an improvement in the shifting quality moving from a third party Sachs chain to a proper CH-AP10 chain. I am still surprised how much stopping power the brakes have despite the diminutive looking stock pads. Time will tell...

Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    I have an 89 Monster fat that has XCE and X1 parts. Im going to be ugrading. I dont have anything with XC Pro. Should I go with the XC or set it up with XT?
    Last edited by datasurfer; 02-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.