Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru

Hello all.
    For some random reason I suddenly feel the need to buy a vintage 90's GT Zaskar, put a rigid fork and cruiser tires on it, and turn it into a retro-urban pavement bruiser. (Why!??!) I found an original 1 1/8 inch rigid GT fork so now all I need is the bike. Anyway, I could use a bit of help from a knowledgeable GT Zaskar expert on this.
    I think I am only interested in the polished aluminum version. Can someone direct me to best model, year and size for me? (Not sure how the sizing works on these but I've heard they are measured differently, ie: middle of the bb to middle of top-tube or something?)

I am 5'7' with a 30 inch inseam and like at least an inch or more of stand-over on my bikes.

I have seen some examples for sale but there is a range of prices, and models including ones with a funky u-brake under the rear-stay.

(Here is a link to our family's other '90's rigid bikes to get an idea of the style we usually go for around here.)
    I welcome any direction and ideas from my fellow forum readers, including telling me the whole idea is lame, it's another rig to fall over onto my car & don't do it.

Our family stable of '90s rigid mtb's - Mtbr Forums

Thanks for your help, keep polishing rust, and have a great day
    Last edited by sklein; 10-11-2012 at 09:52 AM.

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    with 30inches of inseam a 16inch frame should be best. i have a 32inch inseam and i'm riding a 16" karakoram elite.

there never was a zaskar with u-brake under the chainstays. in 1991 and 92 the zaskar had u-brakes on the seatstays. all later models got normal canti bosses.
    up to '96 zaskars had an aluminum plate between the seatstays for stiffness. in 96 a cnc'd bridge came along and nicer dropouts.
    + all real zaskars at least up to 1998 i guess had a flat top tube end and were made of 6061-t6 aluminium.

yearwise they should be pretty much the same, except for the u-brakes on the early models. no idea though when the geometry got changed for suspension forks. maybe in 94.

cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ohhhh man....I happen to ahve one of those 16" GT zaskar LE with the ball burnished finish....I might even part with it. (its just sittin in my garage). It's prob around 98, it's the USA made frame (LE)...and FYI...the silver ones are ball burnished. This process actually strengthens the surface of the tubing. I and friends of mine have riddien it alot and I'll tell you, it's damn fun to ride...I love that little frame. Prob is that a buddy of mine decided to collect GT's and I told heim he can have it. When we go riding this weekend, I'll ask if he really wants it (as I could us the money adn it would be much better if someone was riding it). Pm me if your interested....I'll even pay for an ad that you can purchase it through so we're supporting the forum....

Oh...its canti brakes...and I'd prob throw in the seat clamp...but I'll prob keep the front XTR der and the Ti syncros post...nice vintage parts for something.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    ohhhh man....I happen to ahve one of those 16" GT zaskar LE with the ball burnished finish....I might even part with it. (its just sittin in my garage). It's prob around 98, it's the USA made frame (LE)...and FYI...the silver ones are ball burnished. This process actually strengthens the surface of the tubing. I and friends of mine have riddien it alot and I'll tell you, it's damn fun to ride...I love that little frame. Prob is that a buddy of mine decided to collect GT's and I told heim he can have it. When we go riding this weekend, I'll ask if he really wants it (as I could us the money adn it would be much better if someone was riding it). Pm me if your interested....I'll even pay for an ad that you can purchase it through so we're supporting the forum....

Oh...its canti brakes...and I'd prob throw in the seat clamp...but I'll prob keep the front XTR der and the Ti syncros post...nice vintage parts for something.
    A earlier Zaskar might be a better choice for a rigid if the fork is 395ish. To the OP regarding sizing, a 94 16". has a 21.5 toptube which might be cramped if you like being stretched out. It is hanging around in the garage also LOL aparrantly the MO for 16" Zaskars....at least until Christmas.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have a general history of the Zaskar & a sizing chart for some of the model years?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Last edited by Root Beer; 11-16-2012 at 09:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Root Beer View Post
    I have an early 1991 (18") and an early 1997 (16"). I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I fit on both bikes. They are a little more stretched out than a modern bike, especially with the period-correct stems that were 120mm-150mm. Both of my Zaskars were rigid.

They are a blast to ride but I'm taking them apart to sell like many here. As I got older, my body likes the full suspension better. I've never ridden a bike that climbed better than those old Zaskars.

Below is how I had my 97 set up for city riding...
    Im the same height and I found the 16" small but very ridable. I too have gone to full suspension, actually I converted a long time ago and never changed back (as far as MTB goes). On thing i noticed about the little zaskar (and my friend did the same thing with the bike at the same place)..once when my bike was broke, i took the zaskar to a nice rocky ride in P.A. that we do allot. That zaskar was able to clean sections alot easier, especially real technical climbs where allot of bike englis was required and hopping around...so nible...I cleaned sections that I had attempted on my FS bike several times and couldnt....lighter, smaller, nimble....but I wouldnt want it for a 100 mile ride.

mtbr member

zaskar...found one

My wife and I have been looking for a little while and there have been many for sale. We've seen a range of prices (from low 200's to over $800!). The ones that are good deals go super fast to local buyers with cash. I have sold several vintage bikes outfitted with period-correct parts (because of this poster getting really 'f' ing old and accumulating too much stuff) and originality seems to really contribute to the value. The same for these, the more original and un-trashed the more $.

I direct you to the 16 inch one we bought on craigs for $350 which has not arrived as of yet.
    ...search "denver bicycles, camera backpacks" and scroll down. The seller has three bikes on the ad and some photo gear, etc. The Zaskar has xtr cranks but only a middle ring, the outer position fitted with a bash guard, and he has chain tensioners on it. He fashioned an interesting adaptation of a Manitou brake booster on the rear brake and it has a handlebar I might keep on it. According to the seller this is a later (2000) frame and while I was hoping for a more romantic earlier one I think this deal works.

As I mentioned, we want to add the Zaskar to our stable of beasts, and after a couple fun trail-rides (where my old bones are sure to be reminded why I love my plush x/c rig, Arizona-built Racer-X with fox and push shocks) I will re-set it up with some Halo Twin-rails (super gorgeous bmx/cruiser tire), and the GT rigid fork. It would be kind of a shame to take apart an awesome original and mint one of these. I think this will work to fool me into thinking Iím a little cooler and younger.
    I will snap some pics of it when it comes in. Have a great day.

mtbr member

zaskar

By the way, cool cruiser, rootbeer.

mtbr member

recieved zaskar from Denver craigslist

Hello all.
    Here are pics of the bike I just bought from a guy on Denver craigslist.
    Good thing I went with the 16....still not tons of standover on this frame but the thing rides and handles really great. Here is the serial number and frame size stamping...along with a clearly marked BLEM stamped into the L side dropout next to the '16' . What would constitute a BLEM stamping? Thanks for all your help and have a great day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_1.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_2.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_6.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_8.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_9.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_3.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_4.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_5.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_7.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_10.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Is that your seat height?

mtbr member
    My seat height is a bit higher. I was seeing how far down I could get it with this post in case my Son might want to ride it. He's 9

mtbr member
    I've seen two BLEM frames. One had a spot of sloppy welding. It did not look like it was weak, it just wasn't as nice looking as the rest. The second one looked just fine. Even the shop didn't see the blemish.

Nice purchase.

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    looks nice.

mtbr member
    Thanks to the posters.
    Do the decals look correct on this? Are they easily removed and replaced or are they clear-coated over?
    Hey rootbeer, I notice your rear brake-booster on the zaskar you posted. Mine came with a homemade version of onel. Should I leave it on? Just wondering with all that bracing in the back if it is really doing anything.
    Thanks

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Root Beer View Post
    Below is how I had my 97 set up for city riding...
    My eyes!!!!

mtbr member
    @sykystt: Very true. Those old Zaskars are great on technical stuff and so agile. I rode for 31 miles once and hurt for a week!

@sklein: Thanks! The decals are removable, just pick at them and be patient. They should not be clear coated over.

I used the brake booster because I could see the frame flex a bit on hard brake pressure. I think they look ugly and if you get some good pads, the braces is unnecessary.

This year originally came with cantilever brakes. That's what that cable guide welded on the seat tube is for. The V-Brakes put more pressure on the smaller tubes and flex the rear more. See the bike in the photo below how the cable goes through it?

If your cables rub on the headtube, apply a piece of aluminum duct tape to the frame. It's metal tape and you can polish it to match the frame. It does a great job at protecting the frame and is barely noticeable once applied.

1994 Decals look like this: (looks like yours are missing the "All Terra" on the downtube.
    Last edited by Root Beer; 11-16-2012 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member

urban assault tire on my zaskar?

What say you folks about fitment of a 2.5 tire in the rear of this frame?

Say, something like this?

Maxxis Hookworm 26x2.5 Tire at BikeTiresDirect

or this?

Innova Urban Assault MTB Bicycle Tire 26 X 2.5 (Model 2096)

Switching to a GT rigid fork & could maybe use some extra volume.

Thnks!

mtbr member

zaskar

Good morning folks.
    Fitted my GT fork onto this bike...Kenda Kiniptions are on the way.
    Hope all are well from the storm in the US East Coast.
    Have a great day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-gt_1.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-gt_2.jpg  

WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-gt_3.jpg  

mtbr member
    What kind of '56 Chevy do you have? My first car was a '56 BelAir 2dr hardtop. Orange and white, 396/400 tranny.... I miss that old car.

mtbr member

zaskar

Hi...It's a pretty rare 56 belair 9-passenger wagon. We've done a lot of work on it, and living in it with the family.
    Here are some links to posts about the car. If you like cars this is a cool site. Have a great day!

Hell-o from Los Angeles - THE H.A.M.B.

our 56 Belair wagon - THE H.A.M.B.

mtbr member
    Silver/Silver is the best. I sure don't like all the black rims these days.

Cool looking bike!

I never went past 2.2 tires. With V-Brakes, it all gets a little tighter and if you take the front wheel off for racks or to store in the car, make sure the front tire clears the brake tabs with a fat tire or you may have to deflate it to remove the tire. Maybe take it to a shop and see if they'll mount a 2.5 and check for clearance before you buy. It never hurts to ask.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is an eBay seller that has stickers for that bike. The set they sell is all white/black but an exact match as far as the logo styling.

DC7 GT All Terra Zaskar Le Factory SEALED Decal Sticker Set | eBay

This is the last set I bought but they have plenty. Hit them w/a message and I'm sure they'll set you up.

mtbr member

zaskar

Thanks Grounddoggy.

Here's the bike basically set up for street/park riding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WTB vintage GT Zaskar but need help from a Zaskar guru-zaskar_1.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast