mtbr member
    Sep 2008

WTB SST saddle re-issue... same as original?

I haven't had a chance to see the reintroduced SST's. Are they the same as the original SST's as far as shape/geometry?

Thanks.

-Schmitty-

John Galt
    They're indicating it's largely the same. Looks like they're on sale now, but there aren't any new MTBR reviews.

http://wtb.com/products/saddles/saddles-sst/

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    I haven't had a chance to see the reintroduced SST's. Are they the same as the original SST's as far as shape/geometry?

Thanks.

-Schmitty-
    Not exactly, but close. The "comfort zone" wasn't launched until year 2000 - this is the crotch cut out in the shell of the saddle. Probably a good thing.

"DNA" padding wasn't launched until 2000, either - but this is largely marketing. It's just foam.

$130 retail for a made in China saddle is not worth it in my opinion. Search ebay for old SST 2k's and the like.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yeah, I like the comfort zone. Were they ever made anywhere other than China/Taiwan? I have an old steel railed SST new in the plastic with a Taiwan sticker on it. They do last. Freekin China.

Looks like the re-issues have the crap kevlar corners.. it's black, so hard to see.

-Schmitty-

Crazed Country Rebel
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Yeah, I like the comfort zone. Were they ever made anywhere other than China/Taiwan? I have an old steel railed SST new in the plastic with a Taiwan sticker on it. They do last. Freekin China.

Looks like the re-issues have the crap kevlar corners.. it's black, so hard to see.

-Schmitty-
    The SST .98 was made by Selle Italia in Italy. It was a totally different saddle. Much nicer leather, nicer padding, Base Line Trim and it came with Comfort Zone - which leads me to re-adjust my timeline for comfort zone.

The SST was made my Velo and was basically a Chinese facsimile of the Italian saddle.
    Stupid, but sometimes witty. Occasionally brilliant. Slow and fat though.

Specialized sucks dong

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Interesting. I just checked the quiver. 3 Ti's and one cromo. The Ti's are all different.

One, no comfort zone. Rear says 'WTB' in red, white WTB logo on center and 'SST' in red off to the right. It also has the WTB logo in white, mid saddle on the sides.

Saddle two has the comfort zone, same markings as first with the addition of "SST" in red on both sides of nose. This saddle also has two plastic pieces screwed on the underside to help hold the leather. One small one under the nose, and a larger one that runs the across the back.

Saddle 3 is the same as two in every way except instead of 'SST' on the nose, it reads "comfort zone' in white cursive.

Hmmm. No country of origin on any of them. The old style WTB logo is 'cast' in the plastic on the underside of all 3.

-Schmitty-