mtbr member
    Jan 2004

WTB Powerbeam rims

Does anyone remember using these rims? I had a front wheel with the 32h rim, then went to a Mavic 217 Ceramic, which I found infinitely flimsier. I attributed it at the time to the rim, but it may have been the wheelbuilder's fault.
    Does anyone else have any experience with these rims? Does anyone remember why they stopped making them? Seemed like a good design.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mtbr member
    I have them on a couple bikes including a couple one-off 700c (29er) rims. Seem to hold up just fine.
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 03-31-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Exaggerated member
    They were very good. One of my all time favourites, the other rim being the Bontrager-Weinmnann BCX-1 and BCX-2 series.

WTB Powerbeams were light and strong. I still have one laced up in a rear wheel build but the rim wall is very heavily worn. The front wheel I severely flatspotted (after 8-10 years of use) on a large baby head rock as I just picked the wrong line on the day. I would say they are a better rim than the Mavic 217. I have a pair of Laserbeams (the successor to the Powerbeams) yet to be built into a wheel and they weigh in at 420g neat.

If you can get them, go for it. I've been trying to find some over the years and had no luck what so ever.
    Alex