mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Worth putting tires and $$ into it?

Appreciate any help...just purchased this at a yard sale...I know for sure the tires are dry rotted , but not flat....Not sure what it is besides reading the numerous stickers on it....thanks for any input or info about the bike...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worth putting tires and $$ into it?-dscf4365.jpg  

Worth putting tires and $$ into it?-dscf4366.jpg  

Worth putting tires and $$ into it?-dscf4369.jpg  

Worth putting tires and $$ into it?-dscf4368.jpg  

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If it stops, shifts, and rolls, or can be made to do so with cables, housing, some pads and a quickie tune up, sure, well worth tossing some tires at, and thrashing the bejeezus out of...

Not worth much $, but a steel Rockhopper is a solid bit of quality fun.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I appreciate the reply....Is it steel?....I have a Trek ( i think its was sold at Walmart..not a big $$ Trek)...and this thing feels like half the weight....Thanks again, mucha appreciated...oh...and can you tell if the front is original...looks like some changes were made, just by the color differences....Thanks

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Close the quick release on your front wheel before you ride it....enjoy.

Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks Steve, appreciate it....Not sure why, but I been riding the Trek for years and when I look at this one, everything looks "foreign"...as in i'm lost....not as in...manufactured....Thanks

Looks to be steel, a magnet will confirm.

Steel doesn't have to be heavy.

It's a Specialized Rockhopper. Solid mid line bike from one of the biggest names in the industry, 100% not a Wally World bike shaped object.

The fork is likely an add on, that bike, in that generation, generally came with a rigid fork. If it squishes, it's be fine. If it's stiff and sticky feeling, ride it, and if it works for your needs, swap it out for a rigid fork. You should be able to source a decent one for under $50 at any decent bike shop.

And yes, close that front QR.

If you aren't handy, I'd take it to a shop with a 6 pack, or some bagels or doughnuts, and ask for a super quick run through safety checkup since you just got it at a yard sale. Sort of thing I'd do, on the spot, in 10 minutes at my shop. A smart shop will be happy to help, especially if you tell them you'd like to get some tires etc soon too.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    You can send me those old tires.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Solid bike. Yes, it's worth it.

mtbr member
    I say absolutely put a little time and money into it. I rebuilt a '97 GT LT-S 2 and had so much fun on that bike! 3 years worth of great riding! I sold it later on and have regreted it ever since. Those older bikes are always fun and make you appreciate all of the new technology that is out there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It is steel, looks to be circa 1993 or so and worth fixing up.

If it appears foreign to your relatively current Trek(s), look up Trek 930/950/970/990's.

You'll get the DNA picture then.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    Those wheels are light and well built. Light wheels feel good and are expensive to get. Thats' worth it alone..

PS: if it feels too big, get a cheap shorter stem at the LBS that will tune up the bike. You can get one for 25 bucks.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    If you are planning on using the bike and not just fixing it up to sell it, then I would do it if the fork still works. You don't want to start on a yard sale bike only to find out the fork is shot and you have to hunt down another one. If it is shot you can go rigid if you are not going to ride trails, but you do need to find one. If the fork is good, then I'd do it, because it is a Specialized, and not some junk brand, and it has decent components.

Turn everything that turns... crank, hubs, pedals, headset and "feel" it they are pretty smooth or gritty. If you have no clue how to work on it, it would be worth your while to have a shop give you an assessment, a safety check as someone has suggested.

The nice thing about that bike is you can work on it yourself. Even if you have not worked on bikes much, just look at youtubes are with a few tools you can get up to speed pretty quick. What I wouldn't do is let a shop fix/replace everything for you. Then the answer to your worth question is no.

John

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    thanks for all the input everyone....I've decided to sell it and turn a small profit , rather than get to far into it....Thanks again..