mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Who knows about the GF Hoo Koo E Koo?

Last year I bought a Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo and I'm looking for some info about it. I'm wondering if the frame is worthy of a build up. The frame is full CroMo and says its designed by Gary Fisher and made in the USA. Its dark green in color w gold lettering and came with a yellow Rock Shox Quadra front shock. Grip shifters, v brakes also. Cant find images of it on Google so I dont know the year. Whatever info you have would be appreciated.

Hammer
    Last edited by TheHammer; 06-12-2010 at 02:47 AM.

mtbr member
    It might help if we could find images of it here, in the thread.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

He be a moose too.
    It's a mid-range, mass-produced Fisher. It isn't particularily valuable or desirable but you can have a good time riding it. If you have to buy a buttload of parts for it, it's probably not worth fixing up, but that is IMHO. If you show up at a vintage ride, no one is going to say, "Oh yeah, I always wanted one of those." If the frame is in poor condition, don't bother. If in good condition, might be worthy of a fix up.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    My loaner bike is a 88 hkek (a touch older than yours) . Bought new in college. Originally a nice Deore equipped TrueTemper $700 bike. I keep it running with whatever is left over in the parts bin. It rides just fine for what it is, but it won't win any VRC beauty contests. Put air in the tires and ride it.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What does the Gold Lettering say?...is it Gary Fisher or just Fisher?

All 26.5" all the time!
    Quadra 21R and green.....

Likely a 1996 or 1997. Frame was made in Waterloo and is similar to the Trek 930 and 950.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    Second attempt:

1996 Hoo Koo at Bikepedia

mtbr member
    at the time I'm pretty sure it was a pretty good, mid to higher end bike... I know I wanted one, but couldn't afford it...

It wasn't top of the line, but wasn't anywhere close to the bottom either... I'd fix it up with some period correct parts and have fun with it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have one ('96, 19"/L). Nothing special, but I'm pretty fond of the frame/ride qualities.

1. The (original Sugino 300) crank has a strange bolt pattern and is HEAVY. When the rings wear down, swap the entire thing for a new one.

2. The geometry is designed for ~63mm of travel. Your fork selection is limited. I'm running an 80mm fork and shortened the stem dramatically to compensate. It's not a perfect solution. I'm considering taking the old-school Marz Bomber Z.2 from my other bike and returning to 'normal' geometry.

3. The weird cable noodle around the seatpost makes upgrading to V-Brakes a hassle. I resorted to removing the final 10mm with a drill and it REALLY improved the cable 'drag'. You can't run a rear disc.

Rick

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevans
    3. The weird cable noodle around the seatpost makes upgrading to V-Brakes a hassle. I resorted to removing the final 10mm with a drill and it REALLY improved the cable 'drag'.
    I removed the noodle and just use the derailleur cable stops on the top tube for the rear v-brake.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    It's a mid-range, mass-produced Fisher. It isn't particularily valuable or desirable but you can have a good time riding it. If you have to buy a buttload of parts for it, it's probably not worth fixing up, but that is IMHO. If you show up at a vintage ride, no one is going to say, "Oh yeah, I always wanted one of those." If the frame is in poor condition, don't bother. If in good condition, might be worthy of a fix up.

2nd'ed.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You have a 1996 hkek....a us made butted steel frame with fisher designed classic geo. While not the lightest frame around, it has very nice riding characteristics. A buddy of line raced one of those from '96-99, and he really loved it. If I recall correctly with a Z2 bomber and decent kit he had his down to 24 lbs which was pretty respectable for steel, especially for the period. If you can get a hold of an old Judy or bomber, and have the parts to build it up then I gurantee you will have fun on it. The frame rides like steel should, very forgiving and smooth while tracking straight and stable. As others have said it is not colllectable or anything.....but it is a great bike.(one that is arguably a classic just because of the 95 grateful dead version. That paint was just awesome!)
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Steel is real! Still ride mine occasionally

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    Picked up a Hoo Koo E Koo last weekend. Have been researching the model since then.

What does the gold lettering imply?
    Mine says Gary Fisher FWIW.

Also, that red colour is called "bloodshot red", although mine's pretty washed out.
    Would anybody have any idea what the colour-code might be (hex, RAL, whatever)?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon View Post
    What does the gold lettering imply?
    Mine says Gary Fisher FWIW.

Anyway, I picked up a 1997 (I think it is) Hoo Koo E Koo last weekend. Have been researching the model since.
    Yeah, I know, bike's from the budget segment and nothing special really, but I like the classic lines and feel of it when rolling around.

Also, that red colour is called "bloodshot red", although mine's pretty washed out.
    Would anybody have any idea what the colour-code might be (hex, RAL, whatever)?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeys61 View Post
    Steel is real! Still ride mine occasionally
    I love my steel hardtails too! They aren't as stiff and unpersonal as the alu-frames are. While aluminium is light and nice and all, it doesn't "speak" to me.

sluice box
    Attachment 1217928
    Attachment 1217929
    Who knows about the GF Hoo Koo E Koo?-winter-2014-2-small.jpg
    My hkek Grateful Dead edition.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Is there an attachment problem?

sluice box
    Who knows about the GF Hoo Koo E Koo?-_gf_deadbikecatalog.jpg
    Name:  GFD.jpg