mtbr member
    Jul 2007

When you find that odd bike and it is too cool to pass up!!

Last night I visited a friends place he was getting ready stuff ready for his garage sale this weekend. He had a bike in the sorted area. I asked how much he wanted for it.....paid him 10 bucks. I will post pictures of it later on. What caught my eye on this was that it had hardly any rust, all original parts are there and in working order, and all it needs is a rear tire truing and some new tires. But there is some uniqueness to this thing. First it is a bike I have never heard of called Montagna. It is the Six model(whatever that is) It is an 18 speed with almost all suntour accept for the crank. It has a Sakae SX Oval Tech crank. Been a long time since I saw one of those. But what made this thing unique is the frame geometry. The seat tube is really slanted back. This puts the cranks forward. It almost reminds me of the Electra flat foot stuff. This also makes for a long top tube for my long upper body but short enough for my short legs. The foam grips are original and in good shape and even the brake shoes with their metal encasement is original and in good shape. I am going to get the wheels redone and put some white wall balooners on it and call it a day and see if I enjoy it. Pics coming next week. Frame sticker says Cro-MOLIGHT DOUBLE BUTTED. Grade A ?!?!?!?! My friend said he brought it back from Italy and was very expensive. But almost no info out there on it. Not that it matters though. Still a cool bike!! And its the industry abandoned size I like...the 18 inch!!! Brakes are old center pull cyclocross style and the levers are freaking huge like a motorcycle. Anyone heard of this bike? I am at work....will be thinking of riding this thing all day.

mtbr member
    I haven't, but Google has! Search "Montagna six bike" and a few images come up. Most of which link to MTBR!

slow
    If I remember correctly our shop sold them for a while in the late 80's. It seems like they were a secondary brand to Univega. Either they were distributed by the same company as Univega or built by them or something of that nature. Shasta had a similar relationship with GT. We would occasionally bring in some of these to satisfy a price point or fill in a hole in inventory late in the season when the main lines were running out of stock at a price point.