Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Team Brooklyn

When people ask why Tomac was so exciting ...

I just uploaded a clip from my old VHS recordings of the 1992 Mountain Bike World Cup race in Mount Snow, Vermont.

I was watching these races a couple of nights ago and one section of this race captures the essence of Tomac's allure. When I watched it (for the thousandth time) I thought "I have to post that tiny clip".

Well as I edited it down I couldn't help but keep some other stuff in.

The clip of interest happens 52:27 in.

Then compare it to everyone going through that same section before and after ...

I was there - in that race, going through that section 6 times -at a rather leisurely pace compared with those in the video clip even though I thought I was going fast. I can tell you what John Tomac did through that section was not within the realm of human capability.

That man was/is simply awesome.

Enjoy:
    Tomac Mount Snow Rock and Roll - YouTube
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Sneaker man
    I hop you mean 52sec in...
    Yeah it is bedazzeling.... i was pretty awestruck when I saw it.

Anothe rof my fav bits of video is the opening credits to the fat tyre journal and Tomac sorta jump, whips over and around a corner, stuck with me forever that did...and when some other dud hops off some pavement onto the trail nose down...simple but just looked so good to a guy who hoped his hopping skilsl looked like that at the time...but probasbly didn't...Oh and the whole lap with Rishi
    2003 Yeti ARC
    2008 GT Zaskar Reissue
    1996 GT Xizang
    2012 Cervelo R3

SO sweet, thanks for posting! I can't remember that descent and I raced there a lot. Must have been towards the southern end of the mountain since that's the start direction. We almost always raced north.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Retro on Steroids
    I was the announcer at that race.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

workin' it Administrator
    I always wonder how the early pioneers of racing would have stacked up against the current group. Of course back then they probably weren't as drugged up as they are now but if you could have an even race I would love to see how 7-eleven era tomac does against who ever is the top male racer now. Of course it would need to be on an actual mountain bike course with loose descents and technical sections.

I remember seeing Juliana Furtado crushing a technical descent and thinking the same thing: Not human.
    Try this: HTFU

マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    Personally I think JT brought a touch of aggressiveness to the early days of NORBA XC racing. He came upon the scene and just started winning SO many races until he was right up there with Ned, Rishi, the Wienster and the others. I remember watching him at the King of the Rockies in Winter Park and thinking, "He is so fast!"

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I was the announcer at that race.
    Yes you were and you might remember a guy in a Red Whte and Blue Team Brooklyn jersey coming up to you during the downhill race after his run and asking you:

"Can you announce one of the racers lost a contact on that last run?"

You said "What? Nobody is going to find it!"

"Just do it, please? And watch what happens..."

You did and of course my contact wasn't found (of course we had no belief it would be) BUT the scene was pretty predictable and damn funny ...

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    SO sweet, thanks for posting! I can't remember that descent and I raced there a lot. Must have been towards the southern end of the mountain since that's the start direction. We almost always raced north.
    Oh you know that section I am quite sure.
    That's the slick off-camber usually wet and muddy (certainly was in 90, 91 and93).
    The crowd on the sides would yell "TAKE THE HIGH LINE!!!"
    If you paid attention to them instead of the trail you either slid out sideways off the high line or did a face plant if you took the low.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    It was in the upper NW section of the course. Somewhere there is pro video of it, I know because I took the cameraman up there on a 4 wheeler. On the way out he slipped on a rock ledge and slammed his Sony hard enough so that everybody in the crowd turned and looked.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

artistic...
    He raced Paris Roubaix. He was so good he was a protected rider in the 7-11 squad. Tomac is one of the all time greats of cycling, not only mountain biking..
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

artistic...
    When in doubt, go faster...
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    against who ever is the top male racer now.
    I think that's a difference between then and now. BITD, people would discuss the top racers and they could say "JT" or "Ned" and everyone would know. They had a certain flair that seems to be lacking. Today, at races no one discusses the top riders and I'd be hard pressed to name the top rider in the world or even anyone in the top 20.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    Somewhere there is pro video of it, I know because I took the cameraman up there on a 4 wheeler.
    Wouldn't that be some it?

That clip was from the ESPN broadcast I taped when it first aired.

Unless there were others covering it professionally. If so, I'd love to see that too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Wouldn't that be some it?

That clip was from the ESPN broadcast I taped when it first aired.

Unless there were others covering it professionally. If so, I'd love to see that too.
    I must have been half asleep to not notice the ESPN tag at the beginning and all the other shots.....hell to get old. Thanks for sharing, those were some good times.

Brian Stickel, the competition director for NORBA at that time and the original promoter of the New England Mtn. Bike Championships, as the first two were called and headed up the WC race, now runs a race car track in Iowa btw.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Having had the pleasure of observing John on numerous occasions, the thing that always struck me about his riding was "smooth". Although he could get air and style a jump with the best of them, he always knew and took the best line through a turn by instinct, and stayed low and smooth on the jumps. The look of fierce determination on his face was also a trademark that I will never forget. John didn't just look like he COULD win, he always looked like he WOULD win. Ned had many of the same attributes, but John, no matter what bike he was on always looked like he was a part of the machine he was riding. A fierce competitor, he is also a true gentleman and never disappointed his fans in that respect either.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcloud View Post
    Having had the pleasure of observing John on numerous occasions, the thing that always struck me about his riding was "smooth". Although he could get air and style a jump with the best of them, he always knew and took the best line through a turn by instinct, and stayed low and smooth on the jumps. The look of fierce determination on his face was also a trademark that I will never forget. John didn't just look like he COULD win, he always looked like he WOULD win. Ned had many of the same attributes, but John, no matter what bike he was on always looked like he was a part of the machine he was riding. A fierce competitor, he is also a true gentleman and never disappointed his fans in that respect either.
    So true and yet another good reason for people to want to emulate him.

workin' it Administrator
    don't forget the damn guy could rip on dropbars because heaven forbid his position on his bike changed between his 7-Eleven domestique role and his NORBA master of all role. He even raced DH on drop bars. Like to see Nino Schurter or whomever is king of the dopers do that. Hell like to see them run DH in general, then do a dual slalom then hillclimb then do the Observed Stock Trials. All in a single weekend and not whine like an over privileged, over doped frat boy.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    I think that's a difference between then and now. BITD, people would discuss the top racers and they could say "JT" or "Ned" and everyone would know. They had a certain flair that seems to be lacking. Today, at races no one discusses the top riders and I'd be hard pressed to name the top rider in the world or even anyone in the top 20.
    There's been a few lately even though I'm no longer as 'in touch' with the scene as I was back then. Peaty and Gwin come to mind right off the bat. There are several more, but I hear ya. Just saw Peaty go by me on a DH course today actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcloud View Post
    Yep, all that and don't forget hearing the super cool rumble of that tension disc a bit before he arrived. Legend.

Seeing him ride the descents with the other XC guys was like comparing boys to men.

mtbr member
    Oh you know that section I am quite sure.
    That's the slick off-camber usually wet and muddy (certainly was in 90, 91 and93).
    The crowd on the sides would yell "TAKE THE HIGH LINE!!!"
    If you paid attention to them instead of the trail you either slid out sideways off the high line or did a face plant if you took the low.
    1991. I remember that section very well. That section gave me more troubles than anything really ever has in all my mountain biking. Tomac absolutely ripped that section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I always wonder how the early pioneers of racing would have stacked up against the current group. Of course back then they probably weren't as drugged up as they are now but if you could have an even race I would love to see how 7-eleven era tomac does against who ever is the top male racer now. Of course it would need to be on an actual mountain bike course with loose descents and technical sections.

I remember seeing Juliana Furtado crushing a technical descent and thinking the same thing: Not human.
    A good buddy happened to ask Aaron Gwin this weekend about JT on the descents. Aaron was quoted as saying "to this day he's still scary fast". JT is currently his trainer/coach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench View Post
    Personally I think JT brought a touch of aggressiveness to the early days of NORBA XC racing. He came upon the scene and just started winning SO many races until he was right up there with Ned, Rishi, the Wienster and the others. I remember watching him at the King of the Rockies in Winter Park and thinking, "He is so fast!"
    Was a star at the age of 19 when he started giving Ned serious troubles. Long before Rishi and Weins came on the scene.

mtbr member
    I just uploaded a clip from my old VHS recordings of the 1992 Mountain Bike World Cup race in Mount Snow, Vermont.

I was watching these races a couple of nights ago and one section of this race captures the essence of Tomac's allure. When I watched it (for the thousandth time) I thought "I have to post that tiny clip".

Well as I edited it down I couldn't help but keep some other stuff in.

The clip of interest happens 52:27 in.

Then compare it to everyone going through that same section before and after ...

I was there - in that race, going through that section 6 times -at a rather leisurely pace compared with those in the video clip even though I thought I was going fast. I can tell you what John Tomac did through that section was not within the realm of human capability.

That man was/is simply awesome.

Enjoy:
    Tomac Mount Snow Rock and Roll - YouTube
    Thanks for sharing!! Very cool. Looks much drier there in 92 compared to what I remember 91.

CBI 2L
    Dec 2012
    Tomac was the man, period - exclamation point. But what the current generation riders are doing these days is beyond amazing!

I don't know what sort of drugs you have to be on to do this, but if it comes in a can I'll take a six pack.

Danny Hart - Champery - 2011 UCI Downhill World Championship - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRTIN View Post
    Tomac was the man, period - exclamation point. But what the current generation riders are doing these days is beyond amazing!

I don't know what sort of drugs you have to be on to do this, but if it comes in a can I'll take a six pack.

Danny Hart - Champery - 2011 UCI Downhill World Championship - YouTube
    One of my favorites!! Great clip! He also raced DH at Sea Otter today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast