Team Brooklyn

When people ask why Tomac was so exciting ...

I just uploaded a clip from my old VHS recordings of the 1992 Mountain Bike World Cup race in Mount Snow, Vermont.

I was watching these races a couple of nights ago and one section of this race captures the essence of Tomac's allure. When I watched it (for the thousandth time) I thought "I have to post that tiny clip".

Well as I edited it down I couldn't help but keep some other stuff in.

The clip of interest happens 52:27 in.

Then compare it to everyone going through that same section before and after ...

I was there - in that race, going through that section 6 times -at a rather leisurely pace compared with those in the video clip even though I thought I was going fast. I can tell you what John Tomac did through that section was not within the realm of human capability.

That man was/is simply awesome.

Enjoy:
    Tomac Mount Snow Rock and Roll - YouTube
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Sneaker man
    I hop you mean 52sec in...
    Yeah it is bedazzeling.... i was pretty awestruck when I saw it.

Anothe rof my fav bits of video is the opening credits to the fat tyre journal and Tomac sorta jump, whips over and around a corner, stuck with me forever that did...and when some other dud hops off some pavement onto the trail nose down...simple but just looked so good to a guy who hoped his hopping skilsl looked like that at the time...but probasbly didn't...Oh and the whole lap with Rishi
    All the gear and no idea.

SO sweet, thanks for posting! I can't remember that descent and I raced there a lot. Must have been towards the southern end of the mountain since that's the start direction. We almost always raced north.

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

Retro on Steroids
    I was the announcer at that race.

workin' it Administrator
    I always wonder how the early pioneers of racing would have stacked up against the current group. Of course back then they probably weren't as drugged up as they are now but if you could have an even race I would love to see how 7-eleven era tomac does against who ever is the top male racer now. Of course it would need to be on an actual mountain bike course with loose descents and technical sections.

I remember seeing Juliana Furtado crushing a technical descent and thinking the same thing: Not human.
    Try this: HTFU

マスターの自転車整備士
    Jul 2012
    Personally I think JT brought a touch of aggressiveness to the early days of NORBA XC racing. He came upon the scene and just started winning SO many races until he was right up there with Ned, Rishi, the Wienster and the others. I remember watching him at the King of the Rockies in Winter Park and thinking, "He is so fast!"

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I was the announcer at that race.
    Yes you were and you might remember a guy in a Red Whte and Blue Team Brooklyn jersey coming up to you during the downhill race after his run and asking you:

"Can you announce one of the racers lost a contact on that last run?"

You said "What? Nobody is going to find it!"

"Just do it, please? And watch what happens..."

You did and of course my contact wasn't found (of course we had no belief it would be) BUT the scene was pretty predictable and damn funny ...

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    SO sweet, thanks for posting! I can't remember that descent and I raced there a lot. Must have been towards the southern end of the mountain since that's the start direction. We almost always raced north.
    Oh you know that section I am quite sure.
    That's the slick off-camber usually wet and muddy (certainly was in 90, 91 and93).
    The crowd on the sides would yell "TAKE THE HIGH LINE!!!"
    If you paid attention to them instead of the trail you either slid out sideways off the high line or did a face plant if you took the low.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook View Post
    It was in the upper NW section of the course. Somewhere there is pro video of it, I know because I took the cameraman up there on a 4 wheeler. On the way out he slipped on a rock ledge and slammed his Sony hard enough so that everybody in the crowd turned and looked.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

artistic...
    He raced Paris Roubaix. He was so good he was a protected rider in the 7-11 squad. Tomac is one of the all time greats of cycling, not only mountain biking..

artistic...
    When in doubt, go faster...

He be a moose too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    against who ever is the top male racer now.
    I think that's a difference between then and now. BITD, people would discuss the top racers and they could say "JT" or "Ned" and everyone would know. They had a certain flair that seems to be lacking. Today, at races no one discusses the top riders and I'd be hard pressed to name the top rider in the world or even anyone in the top 20.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigwheel View Post
    Somewhere there is pro video of it, I know because I took the cameraman up there on a 4 wheeler.
    Wouldn't that be some it?

That clip was from the ESPN broadcast I taped when it first aired.

Unless there were others covering it professionally. If so, I'd love to see that too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCMDoc View Post
    Wouldn't that be some it?

That clip was from the ESPN broadcast I taped when it first aired.

Unless there were others covering it professionally. If so, I'd love to see that too.
    I must have been half asleep to not notice the ESPN tag at the beginning and all the other shots.....hell to get old. Thanks for sharing, those were some good times.

Brian Stickel, the competition director for NORBA at that time and the original promoter of the New England Mtn. Bike Championships, as the first two were called and headed up the WC race, now runs a race car track in Iowa btw.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Having had the pleasure of observing John on numerous occasions, the thing that always struck me about his riding was "smooth". Although he could get air and style a jump with the best of them, he always knew and took the best line through a turn by instinct, and stayed low and smooth on the jumps. The look of fierce determination on his face was also a trademark that I will never forget. John didn't just look like he COULD win, he always looked like he WOULD win. Ned had many of the same attributes, but John, no matter what bike he was on always looked like he was a part of the machine he was riding. A fierce competitor, he is also a true gentleman and never disappointed his fans in that respect either.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcloud View Post
    Having had the pleasure of observing John on numerous occasions, the thing that always struck me about his riding was "smooth". Although he could get air and style a jump with the best of them, he always knew and took the best line through a turn by instinct, and stayed low and smooth on the jumps. The look of fierce determination on his face was also a trademark that I will never forget. John didn't just look like he COULD win, he always looked like he WOULD win. Ned had many of the same attributes, but John, no matter what bike he was on always looked like he was a part of the machine he was riding. A fierce competitor, he is also a true gentleman and never disappointed his fans in that respect either.
    So true and yet another good reason for people to want to emulate him.

workin' it Administrator
    don't forget the damn guy could rip on dropbars because heaven forbid his position on his bike changed between his 7-Eleven domestique role and his NORBA master of all role. He even raced DH on drop bars. Like to see Nino Schurter or whomever is king of the dopers do that. Hell like to see them run DH in general, then do a dual slalom then hillclimb then do the Observed Stock Trials. All in a single weekend and not whine like an over privileged, over doped frat boy.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    I think that's a difference between then and now. BITD, people would discuss the top racers and they could say "JT" or "Ned" and everyone would know. They had a certain flair that seems to be lacking. Today, at races no one discusses the top riders and I'd be hard pressed to name the top rider in the world or even anyone in the top 20.
    There's been a few lately even though I'm no longer as 'in touch' with the scene as I was back then. Peaty and Gwin come to mind right off the bat. There are several more, but I hear ya. Just saw Peaty go by me on a DH course today actually.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingcloud View Post
    Yep, all that and don't forget hearing the super cool rumble of that tension disc a bit before he arrived. Legend.

Seeing him ride the descents with the other XC guys was like comparing boys to men.

mtbr member
    Oh you know that section I am quite sure.
    That's the slick off-camber usually wet and muddy (certainly was in 90, 91 and93).
    The crowd on the sides would yell "TAKE THE HIGH LINE!!!"
    If you paid attention to them instead of the trail you either slid out sideways off the high line or did a face plant if you took the low.
    1991. I remember that section very well. That section gave me more troubles than anything really ever has in all my mountain biking. Tomac absolutely ripped that section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I always wonder how the early pioneers of racing would have stacked up against the current group. Of course back then they probably weren't as drugged up as they are now but if you could have an even race I would love to see how 7-eleven era tomac does against who ever is the top male racer now. Of course it would need to be on an actual mountain bike course with loose descents and technical sections.

I remember seeing Juliana Furtado crushing a technical descent and thinking the same thing: Not human.
    A good buddy happened to ask Aaron Gwin this weekend about JT on the descents. Aaron was quoted as saying "to this day he's still scary fast". JT is currently his trainer/coach.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench View Post
    Personally I think JT brought a touch of aggressiveness to the early days of NORBA XC racing. He came upon the scene and just started winning SO many races until he was right up there with Ned, Rishi, the Wienster and the others. I remember watching him at the King of the Rockies in Winter Park and thinking, "He is so fast!"
    Was a star at the age of 19 when he started giving Ned serious troubles. Long before Rishi and Weins came on the scene.

mtbr member
    I just uploaded a clip from my old VHS recordings of the 1992 Mountain Bike World Cup race in Mount Snow, Vermont.

I was watching these races a couple of nights ago and one section of this race captures the essence of Tomac's allure. When I watched it (for the thousandth time) I thought "I have to post that tiny clip".

Well as I edited it down I couldn't help but keep some other stuff in.

The clip of interest happens 52:27 in.

Then compare it to everyone going through that same section before and after ...

I was there - in that race, going through that section 6 times -at a rather leisurely pace compared with those in the video clip even though I thought I was going fast. I can tell you what John Tomac did through that section was not within the realm of human capability.

That man was/is simply awesome.

Enjoy:
    Tomac Mount Snow Rock and Roll - YouTube
    Thanks for sharing!! Very cool. Looks much drier there in 92 compared to what I remember 91.

CBI 2L
    Dec 2012
    Tomac was the man, period - exclamation point. But what the current generation riders are doing these days is beyond amazing!

I don't know what sort of drugs you have to be on to do this, but if it comes in a can I'll take a six pack.

Danny Hart - Champery - 2011 UCI Downhill World Championship - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRTIN View Post
    Tomac was the man, period - exclamation point. But what the current generation riders are doing these days is beyond amazing!

I don't know what sort of drugs you have to be on to do this, but if it comes in a can I'll take a six pack.

Danny Hart - Champery - 2011 UCI Downhill World Championship - YouTube
    One of my favorites!! Great clip! He also raced DH at Sea Otter today.

CBI 2L
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    One of my favorites!! Great clip! He also raced DH at Sea Otter today.
    Yeah, I left before the DH main event. Long drive back home.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRTIN View Post
    Yeah, I left before the DH main event. Long drive back home.
    Dang. Had I known you were up here we could have talked FTW stems! I'm just a couple miles from the venue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for the videos...I've always admired Tomac's soothness..It's a trait I've always strived to emulate. I was watching him on vids this weekend while on the trainer (hate that thing)....the first ever worlds with Tomes on dropbars...and several other cool vids from 90 or so...no clipless pedals and no suspension on most bikes..wow....great stuff.
    Lets not forget that he was a great BMX racer too...I believe this is where his smoothness originates from. You can always tell an old bmxer from someone whom hadnt raced/ridden when it comes to mountain bikers.

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    Thanks for the videos...I've always admired Tomac's soothness..It's a trait I've always strived to emulate. I was watching him on vids this weekend while on the trainer (hate that thing)....the first ever worlds with Tomes on dropbars...and several other cool vids from 90 or so...no clipless pedals and no suspension on most bikes..wow....great stuff.
    Lets not forget that he was a great BMX racer too...I believe this is where his smoothness originates from. You can always tell an old bmxer from someone whom hadnt raced/ridden when it comes to mountain bikers.
    Good point about BMX - I suspect you are right on the money with that.

And I agree about trainers - always hated them myself no matter what I tried although these new bikes at the gym with pacers and racers and different scenery/tracks (Expresso, I think) are a little better.

Still, I watch the video then hit the trails and do my best Tomac impressions - and hope no one sees me fumbling around.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

Team Brooklyn
    Sad indeed but I think the man himself hit the nail on the head. We in the VRC world, especially those who lived the life "BITD" reminisce and memorialize the greats like Tomac, Overend, Furtado, etc. and even their predecessors.

Today's folk focus on the hero of the moment (often forgotten tomorrow), have no real connection to that past and, given the advances in technology that make the feats of yesteryear seem like child's play today, can't recognize the accomplishments.

That's not a criticism just an observation. Same is true of most things in life.

So without the draw of his name it's just another bike in a field of similar bikes.

Makes me sad especially since he remains a hero to me but it is not unexpected.

Sneaker man
    I figured this was about to happen, their website hadn't been updated for a while... sad.

mtbr member
    WOW did that bring back memories...."the rock"... I'm sure if I did a "CSI" on the video, I'd find myself in the crowd someplace.

In the beginning of the weekend, the "high" line wasn't quite visible, only after several races (and many handlebars clipping the trees,brush up there) did it even look like an option.

The pros made it look easy, the video didn't quite capture the steep, slick, off camber "trickiness" of it. I watched Tomac in practice just fly straight through it, just like the clip. Until then, most took the low line, a few took the high. Many pros were very cautious in practice. But during the race, most had it nailed without any trouble.

It was the "regular" folks who made this THE spectator spot in the woods. Crashes, pile ups, yelling, all good fun.

My plan was to also to blast down the middle, just like I saw JT do.(well, in my mind). It's most likely the ONLY thing I did right all day. Every lap I'd speed up, fight the temptation of braking, and pass a bunch of my fellow Sport class guys who would Conga-line-walk the low line. (then I'd most likely get passed back someplace else)...

Those were great times. Tomac ruled. Thanks for posting!

Ambivalent Luddite
    That was an awesome spot to spectate (not run).

Somewhere I've got VHS video of Mike Kloser taking the highline when his right barend hooked one of the small trees & sent him flying.

inFATuated

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Dude View Post
    That was an awesome spot to spectate (not run).

Somewhere I've got VHS video of Mike Kloser taking the highline when his right barend hooked one of the small trees & sent him flying.
    R-Dude,

You hafta find and put that up!

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog View Post
    WOW did that bring back memories...."the rock"... I'm sure if I did a "CSI" on the video, I'd find myself in the crowd someplace.

In the beginning of the weekend, the "high" line wasn't quite visible, only after several races (and many handlebars clipping the trees,brush up there) did it even look like an option.

The pros made it look easy, the video didn't quite capture the steep, slick, off camber "trickiness" of it. I watched Tomac in practice just fly straight through it, just like the clip. Until then, most took the low line, a few took the high. Many pros were very cautious in practice. But during the race, most had it nailed without any trouble.
    Youre absolutely right - the video doesnt do justice to the trecherous nature of that slick, off-camber, curving rock face. I first took the low-line, followed someone who took the high-line on the second go round in practice then was a smart-ass on third practice lap. The bike (Mongoose Ti Tomac Sig) literally shot out from under me and I went down hard, whacked my helmetted-head on the rock as I slid down to the low line. Had rock-rash on my right hip and shoulder and a bit of knobby-rash on my left calf from someone who "almost" bunny-hopped me.

It was the "regular" folks who made this THE spectator spot in the woods. Crashes, pile ups, yelling, all good fun.
    That's what always made those days great. Us normal folk could race with or watch the heros from the sidelines, line up and get a picture with them before or afterwards then sit down and have a beer or a meal in a local joint with the famous folk. Neither the competition nor skill-level (or my lack thereof) interfered with the fun and camaraderie.

My plan was to also to blast down the middle, just like I saw JT do.(well, in my mind). It's most likely the ONLY thing I did right all day. Every lap I'd speed up, fight the temptation of braking, and pass a bunch of my fellow Sport class guys who would Conga-line-walk the low line. (then I'd most likely get passed back someplace else)...

Those were great times. Tomac ruled. Thanks for posting!
    I agree - GREAT times!

Sneaker man
    where'd the video go?

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    where'd the video go?
    The one I posted?

Still there - I just clicked the link and it played.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Seems to be unavailable for me as well. Tried searching but no dice.

Team Brooklyn
    I click the link I originally posted and it still works - for me at least. Must be those magic fingers I'm told I have

Here it s again. I clicked the "Share" button on the YouTube video I posted and copied the link, hope it works for you:

http://youtu.be/wCJzOU_zSlo

Sneaker man
    Nope

I'm just messing with you
    It's a goner
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails When people ask why Tomac was so exciting ...-clipboard01.jpg  

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Team Brooklyn
    I don't understand it.
    I can see and play it with either link.
    I'm a novice with this YouTube stuff so if anyone has advice, I'll take it.
    At worst, I'll upload it again.

Team Brooklyn
    Ok kids, try again.
    Somehow settings were changed to "Private" - not by me, though.

I'm just messing with you
    It's back
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Sneaker man
    yay, nice work.