mtbr member

When to call it quits... Or, the basketcase thread

A post came up over on Fatcogs that brought up an interesting predicament I think most of us have faced: when to apply a DNR to a project. When do you get out? (Topic for another thread: When have you stayed in far beyond rationality?)

The case: a very cool, but not scarce, bike that was modified - like torch modified with iconic elements messed with and with elements added - that is now in need of a seat tube crack repair. Bike doesn't fit the owner.

I'm calling it a basketcase and advising he get out as - to me, knowing the way I do things and knowing that there is no way I'd pay for a repaint without putting everything sub-paint in my power right again - the cost of repair exceeds the value I'd attribute to the bike and, in this case, it. doesn't. fit. the. owner.

Others are, rightly, saying it's a great bike and should be preserved/repaired (though I'm not sure where they stand on the put-right aspect of the project).

When does the MTBR VRC brain-trust call it a day?

mtbr member
    Great question.

I would say any torch work or paint is good enough of a line for me. Whenever going to buy a bike always bring with me an Allen key set and a flashlight. Alway check seatpost for removal and then peer down the tube for rust. Although always a gamble with bottom brackets. Buying from other collectors is also a good way to avoid this situation.

RFC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My DNF frames are in the backyard where one of my sons uses them for blacksmithing projects.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFC View Post
    My DNF frames are in the backyard where one of my sons uses them for blacksmithing projects.
    +100 dude points for having a blacksmith son.

the new Gilbert Grape
    It depends on what the purpose of the bike is. If it's not particularly rare and the cost to repair it far exceeds the price to buy a nice example of the same bike, I'd feel to use the frame for what ever purpose it is suited for - commuter, half of a tall bike, shop chair, art project, etc. Why spend a $1000 on a bike that can be easily purchased (in better condition) for $500?

However, if the bike is rear it may be worth spending more than it's worth to preserve.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    If it doesn't fit, don't mess with it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    If it doesn't fit, don't mess with it.
    Right, because essentially you're doing work for someone else and you probably won't do it *exactly* the way they would... Thereby diminishing value.

CBI 2L
    Dec 2012
    Struggling with this decision on my 84 Cook Bros Bonzo Fury. The bike had a head on collision and was repaired at Budget Welding and Screwing Things Up shop. It's beat and beyond any homebrew fixing and needs some skilled labor to repair it. But, but it has all of the important parts and so it should be saved. Unfortunately I don't have any real love for this bike. So... onward and upward, but with no real personal interest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMRTIN View Post
    Struggling with this decision on my 84 Cook Bros Bonzo Fury. The bike had a head on collision and was repaired at Budget Welding and Screwing Things Up shop. It's beat and beyond any homebrew fixing and needs some skilled labor to repair it. But, but it has all of the important parts and so it should be saved. Unfortunately I don't have any real love for this bike. So... onward and upward, but with no real personal interest.
    That's a tough one... CBR or no, I'm picking your "no real love for this bike" statement out of what you said for as good as reason as any to either pass it on for cheap or throw it on a pile out back.

CBI 2L
    Dec 2012
    Yeah, we'll see. For now it's just sitting and awaiting it's fate.

Stokeless Asshat
    Put it in the classifieds with a B.O. price and link it here. That will get the ball rolling at least.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm