mtbr member

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?

I love my old bikes, particularly the steel ones, but I do ride my modern steed(s) on a regular basis. For me, I'm a big fan of the old small builders that are still around like Ibis and Yeti. There modern bikes really show a great deal of understanding in how a bike should handle.

I've had 3 ibis'; a Mojo SL, Mojo HD3 and the Mojo 3. I love there bikes, but my latest ride is a Yeti SB5.5

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-2017_yeticycles_sb55.jpg

What's your ride?
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Current fave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-unnamed-4.jpg  

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-unnamed-3.jpg  

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nice, I like the plus tires. I had 2.8 WTB Rangers on my last ride.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Current fave.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not old enough to be vintage (2002), an not new enough to be new school. Whatever, it's astoundingly fun to ride.

2002 Bianchi Tycoon XL Boron by Peter Sims, on Flickr

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.thedrake View Post
    Not old enough to be vintage (2002), an not new enough to be new school. Whatever, it's astoundingly fun to ride.

2002 Bianchi Tycoon XL Boron by Peter Sims, on Flickr
    26in wheels and rim brakes: thatīs stone age, neo paleolytical.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    26in wheels and rim brakes: thatīs stone age, neo paleolytical.
    Yeah, how do you even have fun?

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    I love my old bikes, particularly the steel ones, but I do ride my modern steed(s) on a regular basis.
    Love my VCR bikes, too. But the newer ones are also a lot of fun. Impossible to choose just one, so here are my top 4...

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-notsovrc.jpg
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    I love that Coconino. I have been looking at his bikes for a while now, but I also really like the Retrotecs. Hows the ride?

Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    Love my VCR bikes, too. But the newer ones are also a lot of fun. Impossible to choose just one, so here are my top 4...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	notsoVRC.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	350.2 KB 
ID:	1141382

Co Springs
    I have a 91 Spec Hardrock (steel), a 2001 Kona Nunu, (alum) and a '17 Marin Pine One steel.

The 91 kinda has the old days look to it and was my first mtn bike. I was 30 y/o when I got it.

The Kona got me into the modern days of sus fork and v-brakes -- lol

Now, I'm still hard-tail'n it with the Marin (orange) and once again, modern day upgrades like disc brakes, 27.5+ and a 1x drivetrain.

I've decided the old bikes get new tires- bigger if not quite "plus" per fitment limitations. I just finished bumping up the Kona tonight from 2.2 to 2.4 front an back; Schwalbe at $9.99 ea.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-20170317_094954_zpskaksassa%5B1%5D.jpg  

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-thumbnail_20170123_145108_1485247149320-1-.jpg  

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Interesting because I have some nice old Fat Chance bikes we love but no desire to ride them on single track or modern trails.

My wife and I share a Honzo and Remedy. Maybe it's some sort of biological clock ticking but this vintage stuff is interesting but these days real MTB riding is all about pushing it and beating the crap out of modern gear.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Nice, I like the plus tires.
    Me too, kind of a sweet spot between skinnies and fatties. A Goldilocks tire size if you will.

That Bianchi? I giggled, 26"? It's VR now for sure, just maybe not C.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    I ride only vintage stuff. Itīs fun enough for me. Nothing against new stuff.. i just donīt care.

slower than you
    I love that Coconino. I have been looking at his bikes for a while now, but I also really like the Retrotecs. Hows the ride?
    My Coconino is amazing. Frankly, it's so rad I often have a great deal of trouble self-regulating myself when I'm presented with a chance to talk about how truly awesome it is. For the time being, I will refrain and, instead, proffer this link to a post I wrote about my Coco on my blog: RockyChrysler.com: Just about a bike: Coconino Cycles Singlespeed [UPDATED]

I also have a 1992 Retrotec. For a long time, at least 10 years, it was, the most amazing sort of bike, too. A few advances in modern technology have caused it to diminish ever so sightly in its standing as a most-favored-bike, but I still ride it regularly and it's still a really pleasant bike to ride. Mine's an old Bob Seals bike, but it looks like Curtis is still doing some amazing things, bending tubes into cool shapes that look good and go fast. Here's a link to a few words I wrote about my Retro: RockyChrysler.com: Just about a bike: Retrotec
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    My Coconino is amazing. Frankly, it's so rad I often have a great deal of trouble self-regulating myself when I'm presented with a chance to talk about how truly awesome it is.
    I know what you mean. My 2010 and 2012 (which I sold to a friend) The silver is the only straight top tubed Coco cruiser. I toured Iceland with it but in the end felt the green cruiser felt alot more lively and was the bike I was always grabbing. I feel the 44mm head tube was the issue and is probably overkill on a 100mm travel single speed hardtail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-90006d1455671772-coconino-element-20160215_121811-1-.jpg  

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-20160131_132141-2-.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I love the Silver. Why did you opt for V-brakes though?

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I know what you mean. My 2010 and 2012 (which I sold to a friend) The silver is the only straight top tubed Coco cruiser. I toured Iceland with it but in the end felt the green cruiser felt alot more lively and was the bike I was always grabbing. I feel the 44mm head tube was the issue and is probably overkill on a 100mm travel single speed hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    For me, I'm a big fan of the old small builders that are still around like Ibis and Yeti.
    Those are the two brands that I have. HDR650 and just got an ARC C. The "XL" or 21" version of every vintage MTB I had just wasn't large enough. Still ride my 62cm RB-1 here and there, doubt I'll ever part w/it.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I'm still on my '98 Curtlo. I hope to get a modern steel hardtail in the next year or two. Really digging what Chromag is doing.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

No known cure
    I love the Silver. Why did you opt for V-brakes though?
    Cause I like retro and I wanted a simple set up that could be repaired anywhere in the world. In Iceland, for instance, the bike shops were all roadie shops. There were no serious mountain bikes and there was no way you were going to get suspension or hydro brakes serviced.

Also, both wheelsets had less than 20 miles on them and I had to use them. One set is White Industries on ceramic Mavic 217s with Union Ti spokes. The other is King hubs on ceramic Bontrager Asym rims with Union Ti spokes.

I also needed a place to hang Avid black Ops and Altek brakes.

The ceramic rims and V brakes work fine in all conditions, especially for a single speed. I recently asked Steve about the possibility of converting to discs, but then came to my senses.

That color is Silver Sparkle from Spectrum with the decal under the clear coat.

Both bikes are on 305 trail in Prescott.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-20131024_150035-1-.jpg  

No known cure
    My other modern bike. 2009 custom Ventana. It has "modern geometry"

67 HA
    74 SA
    24TT
    13BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-bzz-011-800x594-.jpg  

Last edited by Vader; 06-11-2017 at 09:22 PM.

artistic...
    I would like to try a Jones... Btw, any well designed bicycle is wellcome.

-bustin punks
    This currently gets just about all of my miles - still steel, still rigid.

As with others here, I've found the + tires to be my goldilocks. Ideal blend of comfort, grip and speed for me. I run 27.5x3" up front, 27.5x2.8" in the back.

My cross bike is also kinda/sorta old school:

I Love Jones stuff, so take this with the image based humor it's intended, but the forced perspective on yours makes the wheel sizes look like a clown bike!

Carbon Loops? Dig the ones I bought last year....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bachman1961 View Post
    I've decided the old bikes get new tires- bigger if not quite "plus" per fitment limitations. I just finished bumping up the Kona tonight from 2.2 to 2.4 front an back; Schwalbe at $9.99 ea.
    Same here! I have a hans dampf 2.4 front and I can just barely clear a nobby nic 2.4 rear on the Bianchi. The bigger tires have much better traction and soak up the little bumps in the trail.

-bustin punks
    I Love Jones stuff, so take this with the image based humor it's intended, but the forced perspective on yours makes the wheel sizes look like a clown bike!

Carbon Loops? Dig the ones I bought last year....
    Here's a straight on side shot for perspective:

Those B+ tires on the Mulefuts are slightly shorter than the 29x2.4-ish tires (on 45-50mm rims) that the bike was supposedly designed around.

Yes, carbon loops.

By the way, the truss fork is stiff as $&%*# - don't let the thin pipes fool you.

mtbr member
    Another Jones rider here, also almost exclusively these days. Although being steel and rigid (as fatchanceti noted), COMBINED with the fact that it's almost a 10 year old design at this point, it's getting harder to argue that its "modern."

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-bike-bella.jpg

(Definitely hard to capture the beauty of in a photo, though)

Nonetheless, this thing taught me so much about bikes, and changed so much of my thinking, and made me so much more confident and capable as a rider, that I currently neither own a full suspension bike or feel the need to. When I finally DO get another one, it will follow another common theme developing above, in that it will necessarily have plus size tires. Between the Jones and my snow bike, which extended my riding season by 7 months a year, I'm so sold on fattish tires that I couldn't even imagine wasting money on something that didn't fit at least 3". I'm just waiting for some standards to settle down, and for some forks to be released with adequate clearance... and to have some extra money.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love my ibis's as well. But the Mojo HD fills a completely different niche than the old school bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-v2.0.jpg  

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-garage33.jpg  

mtbr member
    Well I only have one ride, it's a 2005 Turner 6 pack so it's my old,new school bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-turner.jpg  

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Current fave.
    Nice Fatass Lunchbox!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Retro on Steroids
    I ride a Breezer Repack.

Because "Breezer" and "Repack."

Stokeless Asshat
    Like Rocky and Vader I have a thing for Garro's work. 2015.
    Beyond that it's an 06 Turner Sultan, 01 Chester, 05 Strong Stage Race, 08 Black Sheep Stellar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-img_3592.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Like Rocky and Vader I have a thing for Garro's work. 2015.
    Beyond that it's an 06 Turner Sultan, 01 Chester, 05 Strong Stage Race, 08 Black Sheep Stellar.
    Love your Coco. I love Black Sheep's too, but they're really expensive.

Stokeless Asshat
    I bought the BS used and got a decent deal. That's how I justified it.
    Love your Coco. I love Black Sheep's too, but they're really expensive.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Interesting because I have some nice old Fat Chance bikes we love but no desire to ride them on single track or modern trails.

My wife and I share a Honzo and Remedy. Maybe it's some sort of biological clock ticking but this vintage stuff is interesting but these days real MTB riding is all about pushing it and beating the crap out of modern gear.
    Unexpected update. A super deal on barely used fuel came up. Wow, what fun and not like earlier Fuel versions.

What's your new school ride or are you an old school neophobe?-de1w2er.jpg
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ