mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Whats a Wolf Creek?

OK, I have been riding this bike on and off for 5 years now and don't really know anything about it. My brother bought it in 2001 from a guy who was sponsored by Wolf Creek back in the mid to late 90's. It is ti, traditional geometry, hardtail. Has anyone else out there ever seen one of these? There is a serial # stamped on the BB shell, but most of my (limited) research hasn't turned up anything. Any info would be appreciated, I will try to get a pic of it up here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    welp,

they were made in russia for the fellow in new mexico i believe. he started them up and had a fairly big racing team, as you mentioned. two of my buddies from here raced for them semi pro. the team bikes were a mismash of kooka, rst, and any other cnc company. they were super flexy as i recal and most broke, at least the couple around here, but replacements were sent. I'll have to ask my buddy darin who raced for them who the owner was, but i believe they were out of newmexico. Bike mag did a review of it, i'll try and dig that up.

cool bikes though.

nate
    "believe what you ride, not what you read" 94 WTB catalog

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by cursivearmy
    welp,

they were made in russia for the fellow in new mexico i believe. he started them up and had a fairly big racing team, as you mentioned. two of my buddies from here raced for them semi pro. the team bikes were a mismash of kooka, rst, and any other cnc company. they were super flexy as i recal and most broke, at least the couple around here, but replacements were sent. I'll have to ask my buddy darin who raced for them who the owner was, but i believe they were out of newmexico. Bike mag did a review of it, i'll try and dig that up.

cool bikes though.

nate
    i remember how flexy those were. there was a guy on the starting line on a trainer trying to get warmed up and i can remember how amazed me and all the guys behind him were at how far the bottom bracket was swinging side to side. the funny thing is a Wolf Creek racer was one of the guys watching this wet noodle show.

Wolf Creek and ParkPre had the biggest damn teams. seems they would take anyone.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Wolf creek

My brother still has his he always liked the way it rode but he does'nt ride anymore so it just sitting in a shed was a nise bike in the day . they were russian made frames had riders name on tube and purple graffics.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    i remember how flexy those were. there was a guy on the starting line on a trainer trying to get warmed up and i can remember how amazed me and all the guys behind him were at how far the bottom bracket was swinging side to side. the funny thing is a Wolf Creek racer was one of the guys watching this wet noodle show.
    I had a Wolf Creek for a short spell and can confirm the noodly BB. The dropouts were just as scary, maybe even more. They looked like cast Ti copies of road dropouts. Kind of like this. http://www.novacycles.com/catalog/im...OV_DO_6300.jpg. The dropout surfaces themselves were alright-thick - it was where they attached to the stays which were scary-thin. And come to think of it, a friend pointed out how a couple of the joints were off-color. We suspected that there had been problems with the Argon bath.

mtbr member
    This was my Wolf Creek in 2000, with an early Rohloff hub attached:

It developed a crack around the seat tube at the BB not long after that, it was a nice bike till then. Never notice much flex (until the crack started propagating, that is), but then I wasn't racing on it. Russian made Ti & frame, OT4 alloy (sounds suspiciously like CP-4, but I never check further), so-so welding (crack started in the weld), never go a call back when I tried to contact them.
    Last edited by itsdoable; 12-21-2006 at 11:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Thanks for info

Thanks for all the info and the pics...frame is identical to mine, I'm running mine with a Surly steel fork. The frame is deifnitly felxy, but have been lucky enough to not have any craking issues yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Just saw this thread, ancient to say the least.

I was the owner of Wolf Creek Cycles, and sponsored many riders throughout the country. We concentrated on the Expert class, all ages, and normally won more medals than all other manufacturers at the Norba national events. Totally dominated the California State Championship series for two years. Great times. If any of my old riders are on here, would love to hear from you.

We did sponsor Oliver Starr, Leah Garcia and Greg Orvitz in the pro class, but are main interest was the amateur side. I felt that the sport was being destroyed by promoters and the skiing lodges.

We had problems with the frame initially due to only having one size bicycle coming in, a 18 inch bike that was really a 17. Seat post would crack at the top tube. We also went 1 and 2 in the Norba Semi Pro Class, Gene Hilton and Tim Brown.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skersfan View Post

I was the owner of Wolf Creek Cycles, and sponsored many riders throughout the country. We concentrated on the Expert class, all ages, and normally won more medals than all other manufacturers at the Norba national events. Totally dominated the California State Championship series for two years. Great times. If any of my old riders are on here, would love to hear from you.

We did sponsor Oliver Starr, Leah Garcia and Greg Orvitz in the pro class, but are main interest was the amateur side. I felt that the sport was being destroyed by promoters and the skiing lodges.

We had problems with the frame initially due to only having one size bicycle coming in, a 18 inch bike that was really a 17. Seat post would crack at the top tube. We also went 1 and 2 in the Norba Semi Pro Class, Gene Hilton and Tim Brown.
    Wow I didn't know it had been that long ago I posted.
    My brother Has since dug his back out and got back into riding. He has a newer fork and updated shifting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have a brand new 16 inch that I put together, raced it at the World Senior games this year in the Hill Climb.

Back in the day they were by far the lightest race bike in the Norba Nationals, just over 19 pounds, actually had one that weighed in at 17.5 pounds, but it was a small frame.

But dealing with Russians is never a good idea I found. Close Finnish friend told me going in, the only good Russian is a dead Russian. As much money as they stole from me I can hardily agree.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by skersfan View Post

Ha funny I was at the Norba Nationals in Big Bear in the early nineties to mid nineties and remember your team. I was just a spectator watching my sister and brother in law race. Good times!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    vrc thread-dredging ftw!
    Denver Broncos: 101-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

C.J. Anderson career YPC = 5.67

Stokeless Asshat
    That's one of the great things about this forum. You can dredge from years past and the subject is still current.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Well, yeah, there's that... but mostly 'cuz my Aunt's Finnish.
    Denver Broncos: 101-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home.

C.J. Anderson career YPC = 5.67

mtbr member
    I raced for a short while for Wolf Creek back in the 1990's. It was a nice bike but it didn't fit me. It hurt my back and I ended up selling it. I wish I had all of the *****en CNC parts off of it still. I had the full Pauls outfit, Topline cranks, Ringle hubs etc...
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Whats a Wolf Creek?-34758935_10213857340220319_672148174072184832_n.jpg

Came across this Wolf Creek for sale. This thread was about the only info online that I could find.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    And another one

Whats a Wolf Creek?-33577649_10213772552860688_453738418371821568_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Hello all, I ended up with those two bikes posted by Pinnacle10. After searching on the net I ended up here. I bought them from a close friend who said they were built for him and his wife by Bob Brown of Wolf Creek. So I was curious and wanted to find more information on them and ended up here. If anyone knows more about these bikes I would love to know and can post more pictures of them thanks.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Noztrad001 View Post
    Hello all, I ended up with those two bikes posted by Pinnacle10. After searching on the net I ended up here. I bought them from a close friend who said they were built for him and his wife by Bob Brown of Wolf Creek. So I was curious and wanted to find more information on them and ended up here. If anyone knows more about these bikes I would love to know and can post more pictures of them thanks.
    First one is aluminum second is ti. I'll admit I'm crying a bit on the inside seeing those seats and stems on them. They were both fairly respectable XC geometry mountain bikes during their day. My aunt used to race on one. That ti one will be a great ride forever.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Members who have read this thread: 57