Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's the secret?

767 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  richieb 
#1 ·
.... to getting XT 7 speed thumb shifters with the secret "8th click" to shift in index mode on a 8 speed drivetrain?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

#7 ·
rhett101 said:
.... to getting XT 7 speed thumb shifters with the secret "8th click" to shift in index mode on a 8 speed drivetrain?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
There is no eighth click. Six speed shifters have five clicks, seven speed - six clicks, and eight speed - seven clicks. However, with seven clicks you have eight spaces in between, including one at the beginning of the shifters throw and dead space at the end.

Simple enough? ;)

G
#9 ·
Rumpfy said:
It was my understanding that the first 7spd XT's wouldn't do it, and the XTII's could?....unless we're talking the older M700 XT 6spds...in which you can't make 8 out of them. :)
are there really two different XT spd thumbies? i only know the M732 and all i have are 8spd able. the M700 are non-indexed, the M730 are the 6 speed thumbies which also work for 7spd i think.

Carsten

#10 ·
On both the 6 and 7 speed shifters, the extra "click" is actually a rivet in the dentent mechanism. It;'s a fluke. They all have it, and it happens to be JUST be a click away from the last dentent. the only thing is, instead of the two spring loaded bearings that go into each detent on either side of the divetted washer, only one of them goes into the rivet, hence the "weaker" hidden click.

If your's doesn;t have it, try loosening the shifter on the mount and turning it to one of the alternate rotation locations. You may not be getting the first click...

rb

#13 ·
We have a winner...

richieb said:
On both the 6 and 7 speed shifters, the extra "click" is actually a rivet in the dentent mechanism. It;'s a fluke. They all have it, and it happens to be JUST be a click away from the last dentent. the only thing is, instead of the two spring loaded bearings that go into each detent on either side of the divetted washer, only one of them goes into the rivet, hence the "weaker" hidden click.

If your's doesn;t have it, try loosening the shifter on the mount and turning it to one of the alternate rotation locations. You may not be getting the first click...

rb
That's what it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.