John Galt

Whatever happend to Rhode Gear?

This relates to vintage accessories: As someone who was into MTBs from about 1986 (bought my first one) to 1995 (end of college) and then "dropped out" for several years, I have wondered what happened to Rhode Gear. I remember them being pretty dominant in packs and car racks during the 80s and 90s.

I did a quick internet search and nothing new came up. The only fairly clear reference I found was at the BikePro site, which indicated Bell bought them at some point, along with Blackburn. Was the Rhode Gear brand part of Blackburn before, or was this a separate acquisition? I also saw some references to Rhode Gear racks "by Yakima". Did Yakima ever own the Rhode Gear name?

Just curious, really...

banned
    I understand Yakima bought them out, and let the name just disappear; there are a couple of other companies that had their products and names taken over by the "big" boys; BIC (the lighter guys) also had a sturdy roof rack that was inexpensive, and had bike attachement accessories; they too no longer make bike related gear, instead, focusing on all water sport carrier solutions.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Funny, I was just telling someone yesterday about Flickstands. Man I wish someone would bring them back, they were a fantastic simple solution, that worked even better than what they replaced.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Funny, I was just telling someone yesterday about Flickstands. Man I wish someone would bring them back, they were a fantastic simple solution, that worked even better than what they replaced.....

I had to dig into my vintage parts bin to verify the numbers I still have, that would be 9; they are a great and simple solution to a constant problem.....

Whatever happend to Rhode Gear?-specfulltour.jpg

Name:  flickstand.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  11.2 KB

mountaingoatcycles.com
    For a couple of years in the early 1980's, Raleigh actually had a braze-on style Flickstand that mounted on the down tube. Little cleaner looking than the big plastic band around the frame.

He be a moose too.
    Hopefully Rhode Gear died a well deserved death. My experience with them was very poor.
    Looking for: Really nice set of black M730 cranks

Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    Hopefully Rhode Gear died a well deserved death.

Yeah, other than the Flickstand, most other stuff was kinda dubious, too much plastic that broke too easily.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

master blaster
    i found one of these in a parts bin and could not for the life of me figure out what its purpose was. untill i googled it of course.
    i wonder if it could be used for a 1x9 chainguide?
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    The dude is like 120lbs, tops lol he can run any tires he wants without issues, i'm sure.

mtbr member
    My first helmet was a Rhode Gear. Guess it worked ok. Used it to bike all day, and then in the evening we used it as a heavy duty ping pong ball..
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Flickstand! Let me know if anybody has an extra they are willing to give up for sale or trade. I have a city bike that has a heavy front rack and it flops around constantly to my great annoyance.

Cool!

p.s. they made just about the worst bike racks ever. ugh!
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

I Have Cookies
    Steeljaws.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what's with all the "stuff" hangin off the handle bar's?
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Steeljaws.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what's with all the "stuff" hangin off the handle bar's?

It's not my bike, it's belongs to someone either from San Francisco or somewhere South of the Border, LMAO...

mtbr mizzember
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    It's not my bike, it's belongs to someone either from San Francisco or somewhere South of the Border, LMAO...
    yeah, bigotry, that's funny

Quote Originally Posted by acedude1514
    yeah, bigotry, that's funny
    Two posts in, and already showing a thin skin.

Seems pretty non offensive to me, amazing what can be read into things if one tries hard enough.....

Did you join, just to post that? Thanks for bringing something to the table.....

Welcome aboard, you jumped into a tough crowd

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr mizzember
    Two posts in, and already showing a thin skin.

Seems pretty non offensive to me, amazing what can be read into things if one tries hard enough.....

Did you join, just to post that? Thanks for bringing something to the table.....

Welcome aboard, you jumped into a tough crowd

He be a moose too.
    too much plastic that broke too easily.....
    Yeah, like on their bike racks, with the unpleasant results.
    Looking for: Really nice set of black M730 cranks