mtbr member
    Dec 2011

What should I do with this bike (other than ride the heck out of it)?

I just bought a 1997 Cannondale V700 to replace my '99 Jamis Dakar that was stolen last week. I was considering a new bike, but I only had about $500 to spend and anything under $1,000 in FS seems to be junk. I'm a recreational rider and prefer FS for the added traction climbing up roots and rocks and general control as opposed to crazy jumps.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...el=Super+V+700

The Cannondale is near-mint, original tires and everything. It had a totally shot replacement Rockshox quadra r21 fork though, so FOR NOW I'm having a new RockShox XC28 installed, which I know is crud, but will have to do for now - I should be able to sell it used later since the Cannondale bike has a very long head tube (which is also why I can't get anything used).

Anyway, help me out. What should I know about this bike? Is it worth investing in a great fork and maybe a new rear shock at some point? Better wheelset, should one come along? I haven't ridden it on the trails yet (it's in the shop for the fork), but I do have to say I love the geometry - it's a fairly short cockpit, which I prefer and very nimble. Plus the damn thing is gorgeous in a weird way.

VRC Illuminati
    Not much to say about it. Not a collectible but not a total piece either. Ride it a bunch first. If you really like it, then its worth spending more time and money on.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I agree with the above. It's hard to get a decent bike for less than $1000 but if you are patient, you can surf the web for parts and frames and assemble a good bike for around the same cost but you'll get much better components building it.