mtbr member
    Jan 2013

what rack do I got?!?

got this rack from the same source that the Bull Moose handlebars came from;
    its a really weird rack.. framework is one piece, bent in a way that its rounded at the nose/where it attaches to seat stays, with a single bolt and plate to attach to the seat stays; then the sides go out at an angle to be wider, then the sides are bent there, and stays parallel for like 10-11 inches, then the tubing is bent down in an arc, then all the way down to what I assume would be where the legs attach to the dropouts or eyelets, so far that sounds normal right? except the tubing is like really big...about the same size as the chain stays and seat stays if not bigger it also has like 4 or 5 crossbars with red vinyl covers, and a humongous "rat trap" thing; presumably to hold soft things...and a U shaped thing on the front that has holes for stuff, and a flat piece of metal that I think is some sort of brace for the front part to make a V shape...its missing the other side's brace, but the way it's made...it resembles both an old Huffy rack I've seen, and a child seat carrier frame....anyone know what I;m talking about? got to post a few more questions before I post pictures...

oh yeah, the wood is not original to it
    Last edited by CamoDeafie; 01-05-2013 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    OK here are the pics of it

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    removed the wood; and noticed underneath one of the red covers there was a sticker....

apparently it is a Spitfire rack made in Denmark for Schwinn Bicycle Company; Chicago....so looked online....according to the 1965-1967 catalogs, this is apparently a combination BABY seat/carrier...wow.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Nice rack.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    hahaha thanks now to find the proper mounting hardware for it..should be relatively easy...was considering using this as the mount for a couple ammo can panniers on one of my projects more for fun.... but thinking maybe i should look for a 60s Schwinn cruiser frame and put it on...just for the heck of it