mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?

It's for sale over in MD but I don't know anything about these early Ritchey's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-pngl-0.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like an '83 Everest. Do you have any higher resolution pics? (particularly around the head tube)
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sadly I don't

These are the only 4 pics available
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-89ho-3.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-jjpvk-1.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-jmwmz-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    It's likely an '83, but possibly an '82. The seat cluster looks like an Everest, and it appears to have the lightened head tube of an Everest as well.

With a serial number I could confirm it for sure. But based on the one picture (the others are not helpful) I'd stick with '83 Everest (which was one of the nicer models available).
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nothing to add from what Laffeaux said, but nice find, scoop it up.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the info guys. It's officially mine and waiting to be sent over. Did a lot of research and I came up with the same conclusion. Most likely an 83 Everest with Shimano components, and rusty Phil's hubs.

Can't wait to get it cleaned up and on the road!

mtbr member
    WooHoo!
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Awesome! With a few parts sawapped out that will be nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bike was received last friday. It was "farm fresh" completely covered in dirt, grime & a fair amount of rust on the chrome bits. I've spent hours cleaning & I'm having a blast.

Oh and Laffeaux you're correct 83 Everest. 4th 21" frame of 83 so just shy of 82
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-30-minutes-.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-clean-light-1.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-clean-light-3.jpg  

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Way cool find. Am I seeing this correctly? Lugged seat to top tube interface and fillets everywhere else.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Almost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-clean-light-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Very nice! The "lug" at the seat tube is a reinforcement sleeve that Tom added on most of his frames. The shape varies by model and year.

This is definitely an Everest. Great pick up and very nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Laffeaux

Any idea where to source replacement brake cables & housing? It's pretty large diameter stuff, I assume motorcycle parts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-brake-cable-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Finding the old diameter cables and housing can be tough. A motorcycle shop may carry it, and other might have good sources.

I found some on eBay several/many years back and bought a supply of it. I'm down to my last "bag" of it. But try looking on eBay, and more may come up - the pic shows what I have, and I've seen Tioga brand for sale too.

For the crossover cable, it's much easier to find on eBay or possibly at an older LBS. In a pinch you can use a standard brake cable - it's missing the little piece that allows you to grab the cable more easily, but it works fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-20180122_141531.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Perfect! Thanks for the info again Laffeaux!

I called around locally and no one has any in stock, there is some on ebay at the moment but I also need to find 8mm end caps. So the search continues.

Date codes on all the shimano stuff point to early to Feb 1983 for the Rear D & brakes, shifters are mid 83.

Did clean up the chain & rear Derailleur last night. The barrel adjuster screw broke off when I tried to back it out. It'll have to be re-threaded, luckily I had another screw laying around.

Chain is looking great, hardly any stretch. Original Sedis it looks like.

Can't wait to ride this thing. Earlier this week I was given a box of stuff, bunch of reflectors & old lights. Found these gloves at the bottom... totally perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-chain-alcohol-1.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-chain-clean-1.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-rs-b-1.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-rd-f-1.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-rather-riding-1.jpg  

Last edited by eshew; 5 Hours Ago at 11:20 PM.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I see a c clip pliers on the floor in one picture. The press fit bb's can be hard to remove. I imagine the bb is ok?? Nice find I am sure you will like the ride.

mtbr member
    Is there any life left to the ideale sadle?
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rismtb C clip pliers were for the bb. I just wanted to clean up the shell. The bearings spin smooth & I'm not ready to delve that deep just yet. I could only guess how difficult it coould be to remove that bb. I'm assuming there are no presses & it's a whole lot of hammering. Not something I want to do to this bike just yet.

the_joe The Ideale saddle seams to be in pretty good shape. I can't say I know anything about them. The seat & post look like the oldest parts of the bike. The seat post head is bolted to the seat post mast and reinforced with a sleeve. Looks primitive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-ideale-top-1.jpg  

What Model early 80's Ritchey is this?-ideale-bottom-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Its a french brand that went out in the mid 80s. Very nice saddles. Looks like that is the touring model. Ideale saddle model guide

Id recommend conditioning it with Proofide or Dubbin to get it rehydrated. Even if you arent a leather saddle person, its a very cool vintage piece.
    2008 BMC Fourstroke 19-559 ISO (RIP in peace)
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO