mtbr member
    Oct 2015

What have I done, Lobster # 17!

Yup, I needed another bike about as much as I need another anus, but well this was just too good to pass on and the price was a steal IMHO. So, she's obviously a work in progress, but I like the build process as most of you do as well. So, Rock Lobster #17, Paul told me it was one of the first "Team Issue" mountain bikes he ever made, nice brazing all around, some classic Lobster touches ("moustache" head tube and nice down tube stops). Yes, yes, it's a bit small for me, but my plans are to have it as my around Berkeley bike, it'll see some dirt on occasion as well. So, here she is, as I received it and then after some brillo work (yes, patina bye bye, but I have a plan of sorts).

What have I done, Lobster # 17!-rl1.jpgWhat have I done, Lobster # 17!-rl2.jpgWhat have I done, Lobster # 17!-rl3.jpgWhat have I done, Lobster # 17!-rl4.jpg

I wish whoever initially scrubbed off the paint hadn't as it must have looked sweet with the rasta fade on their. In either case, I basically have all the needed parts on hand (M737 XT RD/FD, brakes levers, salsa stem, likely I'll go with the Judy, Mavic 1" head set, specialized flag cranks, Bontrager Ti bars).

Paul is going to send me some classic decals for bottom, head, seat tubes. For the moment I'm not gonna re-paint it, but leave it rustic with a home done clear-coat after I put the decals on. I'm keeping this a price conscious build and it'll be my little townie. The seat is stuck, but I'll get to that next weekend, I think It'll be a sub $300 build, not bad. If it really turns out to be much too small, it will go on the forum for those interested.

Cheers, oh and any one out there have a "cheap" complete Suntour roller-cam or XT U-brake laying around? If so, please PM me. I'll update this thread after I get a bit more into the build. Cheers and go Lobsta go...
    Ben

No known cure
    I have the Suntour roller. Two actually, that you can cherry pic parts from. Pm me your address. Ill be home in a couple days and will get them out mid week.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    I am so glad you bought that one.

I'm in the same boat with not needing any more projects, but I was soooo close to bidding on #17...such a cool frame.

Glad i'll getbto see it built up properly.

Congrats.

Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I bet on this as well. You should have told me But really good to see that it is in good hands! In the ebay posting the seller wrote something about a picture in Pauls workshop of that one? That would be an awesome addition to your thread.

All the best!

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Shocks, why?

As for u-brakes, I don't have any XT's in the bin but Ido have several Deore's and your more than welcome to one. Frankly the roller cams look better but I prefer u-brakes.

Good score there.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post
    I basically have all the needed parts on hand (M737 XT RD/FD, brakes levers, salsa stem, likely I'll go with the Judy, Mavic 1" head set, specialized flag cranks, Bontrager Ti bars).
    Usually I wouldn't mind but please go as period correct as possible with this and defo not with a Judy - whats about the IRD, a bit to young either but way better?

If necessary I start to collect the parts for you and send a care package from the old continent

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks all, Vader I'll PM you about the roller cam(s), I assume i can make a complete brake from them? If so we can work out a price.

I'll do my best with the build, it might not be all period perfect frame is circa ~ 86-87, but parts will be close. I might scratch the Judy, I have a rigid fork that was on a 92 Bonty, but it's orange, might clash a bit. The IRD is an idea, but as I said this bike will be an around town bike, would hate for it to be clepto'ed by some Berkeley junkie.

I'll start the build soonish, this lil functional hobby has kept me sane'ish through the past tumultuous months, by the end of it all I'll probably have 2 dozen!

Dig it and cheers folks.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Well done. I agree that you should use a rigid fork. Lots of cheap ones out there since it's your errand bike. I also think it would be cool if you manage to get a copy of that bike hung up in Paul's shop.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    I have a proper fork if you want to pay shipping from Vancouver Bc. Love the cable routing out of the way from tearing up your knees.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ris, many thanks for the offer, but I did a mock-up with my IRD Ti fork and it just looks too good not to use. Likely few peeps will know what the fork or the frame really are. I'll ask Paul to take a quick pic or copy of the pic showing what the bike looked like in all it's glory...I'm hoping the seat post isn't too frozen in there, we shall see this weekend. Cheers and best to all

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Good decision! Looking forward to see the pic and of course your build

mtbr member
    Looking forward to seeing this done. I was one of the bidders too

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

good timing

Hey Chef,

Funny you should mention that as I've made a bit of progress. This is a mock-up, wondering what crank I should go with, the Campy centaur or the Specialized "flag" cranks, I'm strongly leaning towards the flag crank. Standing over it, it's a a bit small for me, but not as bad as I first thought, she'll be a nice ride.

Another sore spot is that damn seatpost, I tried the vice technique with some WD-40, no such luck. I know there are options out there on this site that won't harm the frame, but maybe someone remind me?

Paul said he's sending the classic yellow Lobster decals, I think that will be a nice touch....here's a couple pics. Cheers and very much looking forward to the NorCal VRC ride!

What have I done, Lobster # 17!-rl_1.jpg

What have I done, Lobster # 17!-rl_2.jpg

What have I done, Lobster # 17!-rl_3.jpg

VRC Illuminati
    Hey Chef,

Funny you should mention that as I've made a bit of progress. This is a mock-up, wondering what crank I should go with, the Campy centaur or the Specialized "flag" cranks, I'm strongly leaning towards the flag crank. Standing over it, it's a a bit small for me, but not as bad as I first thought, she'll be a nice ride.

Another sore spot is that damn seatpost, I tried the vice technique with some WD-40, no such luck. I know there are options out there on this site that won't harm the frame, but maybe someone remind me?

Paul said he's sending the classic yellow Lobster decals, I think that will be a nice touch....here's a couple pics. Cheers and very much looking forward to the NorCal VRC ride!
    Flag cranks for sure. Ditch that far too new XT RD. IRD fork looks good on there.

Not sure if it was discussed above, but is there a hole in the seat tube to fill with penetrating oil? Plug the bottle mount holes and the top of the post, fill up the tube, turn the bike upside down and let it sit for a week or so. Otherwise you'll be taking the whole bike to Paul for post removal.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Eric,

Thanks for the advice on the stuck seat post, I'll give that a try this weekend and hope it works, at least I don't have to worry about F-ing up the paint job.

I just happen o have the rear mech laying around, but if an older XT just happens to fall in my lap for cheap I'll throw that on. Yeah, I'm digging the IRD forks on there, goes well with the bare steel.

Cheers,
    Ben

VRC Illuminati
    Eric,

Thanks for the advice on the stuck seat post, I'll give that a try this weekend and hope it works, at least I don't have to worry about F-ing up the paint job.

I just happen o have the rear mech laying around, but if an older XT just happens to fall in my lap for cheap I'll throw that on. Yeah, I'm digging the IRD forks on there, goes well with the bare steel.

Cheers,
    Ben
    What year is the frame? I might have what you need F&R.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Kroil has the reputation of being the best penetrating oil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by outside! View Post
    Kroil has the reputation of being the best penetrating oil.
    Or homebrew ATF & acetone...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...owdown.350800/
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Second on the Flag cranks, it looks good with those forks. What size did that frame turn out to be?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks all for the advice, I'll try penetrating oil first before I bust out the chemistry set, fingers crossed as I said before I want to keep cost low'ish.

Paul thinks he made it around 85'-86' or so, it was originally a pair, I might have got the wife's bike, not sure. It's a 17.5" c-c, with a 21.5 tt (it's a tad cramped up top, but it'd not gonna see techy rides, around town and up in Tilden).

Eric, what kind of F&R are you thinking of? I'll have it pretty ready for the VRC ride for display mostly, unless someone else wants to take it for the ride, I plan on riding the 95' Phoenix.

Cheers to all and if you're in the Bay Area stay cool and hydrate.

artistic...
    You want a 150mm stem. NTTAWWT.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

gobsmacked Moderator
    FWIW, somebody local had a stuck seatpost and Paul popped it off in no time. Nice to see you moving along with that bike!

VRC Illuminati
    Thanks all for the advice, I'll try penetrating oil first before I bust out the chemistry set, fingers crossed as I said before I want to keep cost low'ish.

Paul thinks he made it around 85'-86' or so, it was originally a pair, I might have got the wife's bike, not sure. It's a 17.5" c-c, with a 21.5 tt (it's a tad cramped up top, but it'd not gonna see techy rides, around town and up in Tilden).

Eric, what kind of F&R are you thinking of? I'll have it pretty ready for the VRC ride for display mostly, unless someone else wants to take it for the ride, I plan on riding the 95' Phoenix.

Cheers to all and if you're in the Bay Area stay cool and hydrate.
    Well, 85/86 and you should be looking at M700/Deerhead or Suntour equiv. If you want to bluff it a little, start looking for M730 XT.
    -eric-

gobsmacked Moderator
    The good news is that parts should be much much cheaper than your Phoenix! :P

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I just finished extracting a seatpost from a KHS hybrid I found last winter. Finally resorted to making my own tool with a two hacksaw blades side by side welded onto a 3/4" mild steel carbon stick after all the oils and stuff didn't work out. If you can't get that post out and are willing to go slowly this tool does the trick by cutting the post in half length wise. I had to just barely ream the seat tube out since I went a bit far but everything is fine.

If you ever want it just PM me and I'll send it to you.

NOte: I didn't use Aerokroil because I didn't have a can at the time, that is my favorite on other stuff here at work, so try this as well before the drastic measure I propose.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Yup, working on the penetrating oil, not much luck yet, but we'll see this weekend with a vice and my muscley muscles. Unicrown, I could "engineer" something like that, I am a scientist after all and tinker. I'll go the M730 route, with thumby friction shifters. I got the Lobster decals from Paul today, he sent me the old school yellow background ones, I was hoping for, right on Paul, they'll look proper. OK, M730 RD anyone? or I'll go Lee recyclery, this bike was going to be a beater, but I think it deservers better, Paul and the Lobster have been with "us" for a long time I always dug em (I'm a UCSC grad), as my sis's bike shows and he's still building hand-made killer bikes locally for all bikers. Cheers and I'll see how the post goes, and Lee any M730 FD/RD at the shop? I also need XT thumb'ies. cheers all and best to all and yours

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've extracted many a stuck seatpost with the oil, heat, super cool, hammer, vise method. Bring it by and we'll see what we can do. Then we can go to the shop and strip an old Novara or Fisher Montare for all the period correct parts. We always have a great selection of 85'-87' mass produced mountain bikes that make great parts bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ahh, Lee to the rescue. Hey are you gonna be around this coming Monday 7-24? If so, we can at least take a hack at the post and then hit the trails? Let me know, I'm bummed I've been missing the Wed evening rides, but I'll make eventually, work has been a bummer. Dig it and hope all's well.