mtbr member
    Dec 2017

What frame is this?

I've been trying to identify this frame which I'm told is a Scott downhill/MTB frame but all I've got to go on is a number on the frame which is hard to read and what I've been told by the previous owner who does know what he's doing and insists this is a Scott frame.

I've taken it to a Scott dealer and they haven't been able to identify it so I'm guessing the age is a barrier here. It seems very light so I'm not keen to dump it though I do have plenty of other bikes so I'm in no hurry to work out what it is.

Still feel like I need to ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What frame is this?-img_20171228_164534.jpg  

What frame is this?-img_20171228_164554.jpg  

VRC Illuminati
    Doesn't look like any Scott I've seen.

Details are off, but more akin to a Gary Fisher Joshua. I'm not confident you're sitting on anything great or rare though.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I had my doubts too. I don't believe it is anything particularly great/rare either but it is pretty light and if I'm able to get it back into service then great.

Looks like I need to do a fair bit of searching around to see if I can track it down.

mtbr member
    Scott did have a funky Y-bik design (see pic), but I agree with Rumpfy that your frame looks more like the Trek designed frame.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What frame is this?-scott.jpg  

Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Open pivot??? WTF is that.

With the BB on the frame, Cannondale is the only one that comes to mind. Trek and Gary had the BB on the triangle.

Additionally, Trek is the only 3 piece V/Y whathaveyou frames. The rest use a single bottom tube for strength. Maybe some off brands that did that though.

Personally, I don't think I'd spend the time or money on this and that's from someone who will keep almost anything alive to ride.

I hesitate to say it but you might be dealing with a frame from a big box store that was stripped down at some point. Even if not, tracking down parts could be nearly impossible even if you can figure out what it is.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    No idea if this will help but I've found the correct serial number is P8101400. Does that seem to match the format of any manufacturer?

Trek say they are looking into it in case this is a Gary Fisher or one of their many other brands.

I haven't gone back to Scott as no evidence so far suggests it is a Scott and the person I got it off hasn't responded to mail either.

As a freebie it is at least worth the scrap aluminium value.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I agree on it not being a Trek, all the pictures I could find have different rear triangle and bb not on the frame.

In fact my Google skills are failing, I can't find any 6 frame with a rear triangle like that

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Someone suggested it may be a Gary Fisher and as that brand is owned by Trek I have asked them but I'm not convinced.

I've got absolutely nothing to go on at present as this serial number isn't helping at all and the frame doesn't look familiar. I don't have to get it going but it would be nice.

Cannondale I haven't checked with yet as was also suggested. My experience has been mostly GT, Raleigh, Dawes and Marin and it certainly doesn't make me think of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Well Trek responded this morning and said they couldn't find any specific details but did suggest it looks like one of their y frame bikes. It does look like a pretty good fit but not quite there yet.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    It "looks like a Trek" insofar as it's plug ugly.

Trek obviously don't employ anyone that was around in the mid 90s. They don't know their own product history very well.

The Trek Y-bikes were Unified Rear Triangles. This means the bottom bracket was part of the rear swingarm rather than being part of the front frame.

Your frame is a single pivot design. Sorry, I don't know what brand, and I have looked a few frames up that yours reminded me of, but to no avail. Nothing in the Scott catalogs for the mid to late 90s, though they did bikes with swingarms like that, just not front triangles in the Y style.

Damn 'outer kept autocorrecting swingarms to swingers.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    While it looks similar shape to Trek Y Glide/Y Frame there's nothing that matches this frame. As you say, Trek had BB part of the rear swingarm.

If I can find a way of matching the rear suspension size to something then I don't particularly care what frame it is but doing even that has proven difficult.

It seemed an interesting project but the more I look into it, the more it is beginning to make me think I should dump it.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure it is not a Scott/Trek/Gary Fisher.
    Looks like one of those Taiwan copies of a Votec F7 that a bunch of brands sold over many years, e.g. Univega, BeOne (B1).

This is a later version with disc brakes and bearings:
    https://www.moredirt.com/ratemyride/bike/28151
    Check out how the swingarm resembles the one you have.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by iRider View Post
    Pretty sure it is not a Scott/Trek/Gary Fisher.
    Looks like one of those Taiwan copies of a Votec F7 that a bunch of brands sold over many years, e.g. Univega, BeOne (B1).

This is a later version with disc brakes and bearings:
    https://www.moredirt.com/ratemyride/bike/28151
    Check out how the swingarm resembles the one you have.
    It has to be something like that. The swing arm is almost identical except the disc tabs.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    We have a weiner.

I'd also echo Uncles comment about Trek.

Sorry, but if you need to "research" a frame like that to "see" if it was one you made, you really have no business working at the brand you represent.

That it "looks" like a Trek due to fugly blobby welds holding extraneous gussets on (as Trek was wont to do back then), shouldn't be enough to make them NOT realize it's a single pivot, not a URT.

Yeegads I hate Trek.....

Oh and yeah, no way in hell that was ever even anywhere near the Cannondale factory!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    OK, doesn't seem to be a B1. B1 Yuma has bearings and a round tubed swing arm but the main frame is pretty similar.
    http://www.sport-anzeigen.net/export...299b8b5e66.jpg