Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

This is what a $65 Ritchey Ascent looks like.

It's big. It's dirty. It was listed as a Gary Fisher, courtesy of the Gary Fisher seat. The wheels are original DA/RM20 combo, which is cool. Non-original parts are pretty obvious- stem/bars, seat, front brakes, front shifter.

Here's some photos of the bike as found, with flats, janky plastic pedals, and a little dent on the seat tube, non-drive side, in between the top water bottle bolt and the Ritchey decal.

Sometimes I wish bikes like this could tell their stories. And sometimes I think I would be better not knowing.

This is what a  Ritchey Ascent looks like.-img_8576.jpg

This is what a  Ritchey Ascent looks like.-img_8577.jpg

This is what a  Ritchey Ascent looks like.-img_8581.jpg

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    ha! Yo Natey will be arriving momentarily. I love your new Gary Fisher Ascent!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    I love your new Gary Fisher Ascent!
    Me too. And they called it a Gary Fisher Soft Ride. No decals or logos from the top tube down counted, I guess.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff View Post
    No decals or logos from the top tube down counted, I guess.
    So, it's a Richee. I'm disturbed that you were looking for a soft ride GF.

mtbr member
    Hey, at least you got $10 off.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    Hey, at least you got $10 off.
    Did you see it too then?

half-fast rider
    That thing is HUGE!
    A wise man once said: "Always Ride"

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    bail'in from up there is going to hurt

mtbr member
    You were already on the way by the time I talked to her.

mtbr member
    You were already on the way by the time I talked to her.
    One of the many benefits of being local.

mtbr member
    As of a couple weeks back, so am I. Craigslist show down!

And as this thread demonstrates, you handily won round one.

mtbr member
    As of a couple weeks back, so am I. Craigslist show down!

And as this thread demonstrates, you handily won round one.

Welcome to the desert. Let's grab a beer sometime. I've yet to meet a fellow VRC'er face-to-face.

mtbr member

This is what a $65 Ritchey Ascent looks like.

If there ever was a bike that wished it were a 29er, I think that's it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I guess telling that guy that his Ritchey Ascent was worth $100 was right on the money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zygote2k View Post
    I guess telling that guy that his Ritchey Ascent was worth $100 was right on the money.
    There will always be deals like that on CL where the buyer doesn't know a bike's value or do their homework, but if you were to list it properly on ebay and let it ride it will hit a much more normal market value.

The shifters or stem alone would sell for close to $65 I'd imagine...

10 years ago there were tons of deals like this. There are still deals out there but harder to come by now with more people on the prowl.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Stop trolling and derailing other threads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Stop trolling and derailing other threads.
    I'm not trolling- just pointing out the obvious since there are now 2 Ascents in recent posts.
    I'm sorry the bike market isn't what it used to be and that Ritcheys are going for bargain basement prices more frequently. It happens. It's a trend I'm sure and at some point, they'll probably increase in value back to the $300 range.
    Watch ebay and other sites in the next coming months as the market will be flooded with older bikes like these.

mtbr member
    I'm not trolling- just pointing out the obvious since there are now 2 Ascents in recent posts.
    I'm sorry the bike market isn't what it used to be and that Ritcheys are going for bargain basement prices more frequently. It happens. It's a trend I'm sure and at some point, they'll probably increase in value back to the $300 range.
    Watch ebay and other sites in the next coming months as the market will be flooded with older bikes like these.
    Pretty inane discussion, but last two on ebay went for $400 including shipping. Not sure where you're getting your data on the bike's current value and your knowledge of an upcoming flood of these to the marketplace.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I'm sorry the bike market isn't what it used to be
    Obviously you're new to this.
    The vintage mtb market is stronger than ever. Average prices go up every year. There's nothing you can get cheaper now than you could 10 years ago.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    Obviously you're new to this.
    The vintage mtb market is stronger than ever. Average prices go up every year. There's nothing you can get cheaper now than you could 10 years ago.
    Yes you can, Control Tech URTs?

Oh sorry, you said the vintage MTB market. Yes, you're absolutely right.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The market is actually going down as more VRC bikes are offered up for sale. I actually plot this stuff on paper and figure these things out before posting them here. As with anything being bought and sold, there is a 'bubble' of inflation and it popped 2-3 years ago and we are now seeing lots of VRC stuff going for lower prices.
    I'm sure this is grim news to many around these parts because their collections were bought at high prices and are now only worth less than what they got into it for. It happens- anyone remember the housing market?
    FWIW, a ControlTech URT recently sold for $3000.....

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    The market is actually going down as more VRC bikes are offered up for sale. I actually plot this stuff on paper and figure these things out before posting them here. As with anything being bought and sold, there is a 'bubble' of inflation and it popped 2-3 years ago and we are now seeing lots of VRC stuff going for lower prices.
    I'm sure this is grim news to many around these parts because their collections were bought at high prices and are now only worth less than what they got into it for. It happens- anyone remember the housing market?
    FWIW, a ControlTech URT recently sold for $3000.....
    That's interesting. Can't see I'm seeing it myself, but as you say, you've taken the time to graph the trends in prices. It would be interesting to know how long you've been keeping such statistics and a sample of what particular examples. Opinion is one thing, but cold hard data is something else and you've got that data. Obviously you've been watching the market out of interest and not as an investment strategy because, as you say, those with extensive collections are now just sitting on them for the curio value.

Good thing most people collect stuff to restore bikes and save the history of MTB from the tip. I know I do it for the hobby and not as an investment strategy.

A CT URT sold for $3000?! That's amazing, because it would seem that the only thing bucking the downturn in prices that you've been fortunate enough to observe has been the CT URTs. Stands to reason because you've got all but 3 ever made tucked away so you've set the demand.

Grumps

PS: I'm kidding. I call BS. "Plot this stuff on paper and figure these things out". Bwahahaha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Look at high end complete VRC bikes for sale and see for yourself that prices are dropping. VRC framesets are getting cheaper too. Even the components are getting cheaper. This is all exactly like the housing market bubble popping. People were raking in the dough, flipping houses and buying luxury items like high end VRC bikes. As the economy tightens, people have been selling off these items to pay for important things like mortgages in order to not lose the house now that they owe double what it's worth.
    Even the small production run bikes like the much coveted CT URT's and other classic bikes like Yeti, Klein, Fat Chance are going for cheaper prices now than 2 years ago.
    I'm sure there are a few of you forum folks who constantly buy, sell, and trade amongst yourselves, but that economy is not a good one to judge fair pricing.

As far as the CT selling for $3k- it wasn't mine but I'm holding on to my 5 in case I want to cash in....

velocipede technician
    There's your problem. You haven't been paying attention long enough
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    There's your problem. You haven't been paying attention long enough
    I agree that watching the market for only 3 years might be an issue but I really do see a trend in the collectibles market overall going down as a result of the economic bust.
    How much should the Steve Potts fetch? What's the prediction- high, low, or asking?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast