artistic...

Whatīs your all time favourite bike?

From every bike i ever rode, incl. road bikes.. itīs my Ibis Mojo hardtail. Itīs one that goes a step above.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    To date, 1986 Cunningham Expedition.

-img_2736.jpg

mtbr member
    Best climber for me. '93 Attitude
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -013.jpg  

mtbr member
    hud56, was that gossamer paint or some sort of gun metal color?

mtbr member
    Heh T. , Factory paint and had it's own name which escapes me , sort of a fade because viewing from behind the bike it was almost Black but from front , the Gun Metal , very cool . Bought as a frame only from Willow Glen Bikes in San Jose,Ca. in '94 for $300. I had great rides on it in the beginning of my MTB experience so it will always be my fave. Still , it pales in comparison to the many beautiful bikes I see on this forum , You'res. in particular of course.

rismtb
    Dec 2012
    Ritchey P21 hey 1st and 2nd World Championships on a techy course skill & craftsmenship

artistic...
    Mechanically, the Ibis gives me some headaches like the seat tube id is not what itīs supposed to be so seatpost slips. Paint is powder and lacks luster, wet paint is so much nicer.. BUT when it comes to riding , itīs spot on: smooth, shock absorbing, quick and fast. I donīt know how Ibis came up w/ a bike thatīs so agile and so stable at the same time.

Sneaker man
    best that I've ever owned/ridden? My Zaskar re-issue, not very retro...well probably the definition of retro really, but not in the context of the forum.
    Fav bike ever...tomac Raleigh signature... or xizang...or nuke proof ti/carbon...
    All the gear and no idea.

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    colker...clicked the hyperlink at the bottom of your post thinking it would show your bike...not an Ibis, but looks like a fun ride, lol.

As far as my all time favorite bike...I tried, I really did....just can't choose.

Steve

mtbr member
    Another all-time favorite I feel guilty about not riding more.

-img_3303.jpg

> /dev/null 2&>1
    We're talking vintage bikes I assume.

Klein Attitude
    Alpinestars Al Mega
    Manitou HT

gobsmacked Moderator

Whatīs your all time favourite bike?

Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    We're talking vintage bikes I assume.

Klein Attitude
    Alpinestars Al Mega
    Manitou HT
    I'm always pleasantly amazed at the number of people that really loved their attitude. I had one for a spell and should have ridden it a few more times. Regerts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I put 15+k miles on a Schwinn Homegrown Factory XT. Despite rarely using the brakes, due to knowing the local routes so well, the Mavic 217 ceramic rims blew up from wearing through the braking surface. Marzocchi Atom Bomb held up surprisingly well, still working after 10+ years. The desire for disc brakes, for reliable braking in bad conditions, led me to upgrade. Was in tighter living space then, so sold it. Went to someone who was apparently starting out in mtb, who now builds his own custom frames, after apprenticeship under Carl Schlemowitz of Vicious Cycles.

One of my last rides on it (in 2010, the bike being 11 years old): https://goo.gl/photos/1TzfXUu9t5hJ6bkX8

It was replaced by a bike that was no where near as refined, which I stopped riding after maybe 1500 miles. Haven't really found a "keeper" like it again. I will say that bikes from around '99 haven't been tremendously improved upon in the past 17 years, at least not like the improvement that bikes saw in the 90s.

mtbr member
    Favorite bike I never got to own would be a GT Xizang. If they'd re-release that frame once again and I could slap a Judy yellow SID and some green 29er Wildgrippers on it I'd be in heaven.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Favorite bike I never got to own would be a GT Xizang. If they'd re-release that frame once again and I could slap a Judy yellow SID and some green 29er Wildgrippers on it I'd be in heaven.
    they did in 2012-2014...
    GT Xizang Jenson Custom Shimano 29" Bike > Bikes > Mountain Bikes | Jenson USA

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by zooey View Post
    I put 15+k miles on a Schwinn Homegrown Factory XT. Despite rarely using the brakes, due to knowing the local routes so well, the Mavic 217 ceramic rims blew up from wearing through the braking surface. Marzocchi Atom Bomb held up surprisingly well, still working after 10+ years. The desire for disc brakes, for reliable braking in bad conditions, led me to upgrade. Was in tighter living space then, so sold it. Went to someone who was apparently starting out in mtb, who now builds his own custom frames, after apprenticeship under Carl Schlemowitz of Vicious Cycles.

One of my last rides on it (in 2010, the bike being 11 years old): https://goo.gl/photos/1TzfXUu9t5hJ6bkX8

It was replaced by a bike that was no where near as refined, which I stopped riding after maybe 1500 miles. Haven't really found a "keeper" like it again. I will say that bikes from around '99 haven't been tremendously improved upon in the past 17 years, at least not like the improvement that bikes saw in the 90s.
    Great trail!!!

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    colker...clicked the hyperlink at the bottom of your post thinking it would show your bike...not an Ibis, but looks like a fun ride, lol.

As far as my all time favorite bike...I tried, I really did....just can't choose.

Steve
    Thanks Steve!!-ibismojorussell.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Yeah I've tried tracking a new one down but no luck. Guess I should've said re-re-release lol. It's my unicorn bike having grown up racing as a teenager during the Team GT days.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Yeah I've tried tracking a new one down but no luck. Guess I should've said re-re-release lol. It's my unicorn bike having grown up racing as a teenager during the Team GT days.
    yeah I was going to buy one when they came out, but GT australia couldn't be bothered trying to sell me one...I wanted the 26 version. You can usually find one or 2 on ebay, 99% of them ended up in asia and a seller in Tawain has been selling them flat out the last few years. When I couldn't get a new one I jsut bought an old one so GT lost out there.
    The Pros closet has a good condition 2nd hand 29er for sale at the moment.

mtbr member
    yeah I was going to buy one when they came out, but GT australia couldn't be bothered trying to sell me one...I wanted the 26 version. You can usually find one or 2 on ebay, 99% of them ended up in asia and a seller in Tawain has been selling them flat out the last few years. When I couldn't get a new one I jsut bought an old one so GT lost out there.
    The Pros closet has a good condition 2nd hand 29er for sale at the moment.
    I'd considered them as well when I saw they had a large frame however I couldn't shake the idea of it being a copycat frame and let it pass by.

Oh well maybe GT will venture back down that road one day. Not holding my breath but can hope.

mtbr member
    Salsa Ala Carte, Ibis SS, Retrotec or my Bontrager RL.

No known cure
    All time would be this one. Not vintage though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -90006d1455671772-coconino-element-20160215_121811-1-.jpg  

Ripping trails and tipping ales

VRC Illuminati
    WTB Phoenix.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Mountain Cycle San Andreas

mtbr member
    I'm partial to my current Moots 29er ybb. Old soft tail technology, with thru axels and a tapered head tube for stiffness.

mtbr member
    My old Merlin XLM.

-29900_10150203458615414_874175413_12871048_6320130_n.jpeg
    Last edited by mainlyfats; 05-23-2017 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    WTB Phoenix.
    I've been putting the most miles on my dirt drop J Bean a la carte, BUT my first 2 Phoenix rides have started to change my mind, very responsive, excellent tracking, perfectly stiff with out the Kein harshness, add the give of the Type II and dirt drops and its tough to beat.

Team Brooklyn
    Fav bike ever...tomac Raleigh signature... or xizang...or nuke proof ti/carbon...
    I was just about to say that!

I am torn between the Raleigh Tomac Signature and Cunningham Racer - so I'll say both.
    Purely from a ride perspective, no other bike is quite as good as either of these two.

The Nuke Proof Carbon/Ti is beautiful and rides nicely but I have't enough miles on it to put it in the same league.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

the new Gilbert Grape
    My favorites:
    - Best riding vintage bike: '96ish Bontrager Race
    - Best riding bike: '13 Ritchey P-650b (fillet brazed by Tom)
    - Best looking bike: '83 Ritchey Competition (and it rides well too)

Runners up: '90 RItchey P-23 Team, '96 Grove Innovations Team
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    My go to bike is an '01 Homegrown Factory set up as a lightweight SS. It's my favorite bike I've ever ridden.
    One gear for all, 'cus one is all you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Favorite one to ride on trail: 2013 Ibis Mojo HD

Favorite one for pavement training: Bianchi

Favorite one waiting to ride: Ibis Mojo Ti
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -sunny-day-2017-1.jpg  

-ibisses.jpg  

bipolar-roller
    Bontrager Race
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

mtbr member
    My all time favorite is always my newest purchase...otherwise, why buy it?
    And it's never a road bike!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    My favorites:
    - Best riding vintage bike: '96ish Bontrager Race
    - Best riding bike: '13 Ritchey P-650b (fillet brazed by Tom)
    - Best looking bike: '83 Ritchey Competition (and it rides well too)

Runners up: '90 RItchey P-23 Team, '96 Grove Innovations Team
    That's cheating.

It is hard to pick one, especially with criteria like "best riding" or "I have a real soft spot for..." determining what makes it a favourite.

Grumps

taste death, live life.
    Best vintage - 1991 Ted Wojcik
    Best modern - 2013 Jamis Dragon Pro 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've only ridden a handful of vintage MTB's but the 1983 Takara Highlander was my favorite. The cool factor was off the charts and it was a blast to ride, in a different sort of way. Unfortunately, my mechanical ineptitude resulted in a trashed frame so it's no longer with me.

-img_1708-1-.jpg

Although the Takara was my favorite, my 1984 Trek 830 rides much better. According to Trek's literature at the time, they simply designed their mountain bikes as 26" wheel touring bikes.

-my-830.jpg

mtbr member
    Bontrager. Keith Bontrager is my Oprah.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi,
    Grove Hard Core for me

Philippe

Retro on Steroids
    Good ol' #2. Had amazing adventures on this bike.

Dream it, Do it.
    My more modern FS bikes ride better, but I have lots of memories of great rides on my '95 Kona Explosif from 1995 to 2002. The most unique part of this frame was that it was one of the few mountain bike frames built with Italian steel...Columbus Max OR that was bi-ovalized at the head tube and at the bottom bracket.

I decided to rebuilt it last year with vintage parts that I had kept around (Avid SD-Ultimate levers with SD-7 calipers, original Shimano XT PD-M730 flat pedals), some acquired parts such as the Marzocchi Z-2 Atom Bomb that I had wanted when this bike was in active use, and some modern parts that I had laying around (740mm handlebar, 70mm stem, 2 x 10 Deore drivetrain)

-img_0121.jpg-img_0128.jpg
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    My '98 Curtlo. I had some great adventures on it. It's agile, smooth, and looks dope. It's still my daily rider, but I look forward to a bike with modern geometry and brakes. I'm seriously considering a Chromag Surface.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    My ROS9 gives me that dialed feel of the frame actually being well tuned, stiffness wise, for a specific style of riding.

I wonder about the Chromag Surface, based on the fact that it's made by Dekerf.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    My more modern FS bikes ride better, but I have lots of memories of great rides on my '95 Kona Explosif from 1995 to 2002. The most unique part of this frame was that it was one of the few mountain bike frames built with Italian steel...Columbus Max OR that was bi-ovalized at the head tube and at the bottom bracket.

I decided to rebuilt it last year with vintage parts that I had kept around (Avid SD-Ultimate levers with SD-7 calipers, original Shimano XT PD-M730 flat pedals), some acquired parts such as the Marzocchi Z-2 Atom Bomb that I had wanted when this bike was in active use, and some modern parts that I had laying around (740mm handlebar, 70mm stem, 2 x 10 Deore drivetrain)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0121.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	152.1 KB 
ID:	1139941Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0128.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	1139942
    Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Klein Adroit Race. Still kicking myself, for ever offing that one...
    -klein.jpg
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Turns right to go left
    Unfair question! That's like asking who is your favorite kid.

If I must pick:

Best vintage - 2003 Yeti ASR-SL (now retired and serving as a man cave wall hanging)
    Best modern - 2014 Pivot Mach 429 Carbon

because GIANT
    original RWB Trek 2000

VRC Hound
    I am always happy with whatever bike I can ride. I remember my first decent road bike - a Colnago Sport and a Nishiki International before that, and my first decent mountain bike, a Fiori San Remo w/ Deore. And all the bikes since. So many delightful bikes. So many delightful rides.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig View Post
    I am always happy with whatever bike I can ride. I remember my first decent road bike - a Colnago Sport and a Nishiki International before that, and my first decent mountain bike, a Fiori San Remo w/ Deore. And all the bikes since. So many delightful bikes. So many delightful rides.
    Meaning you donīt have a favourite bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig View Post
    I used to dream about the Nishiki International while riding my Schwinn Varsity. Things have come a long ways since then.
    Latitude 61

VRC Hound
    Whichever one I am riding at the time. That's my favorite. My favorite, maker? That's easy

sftrydr

Fave, as best I can remember

All time Fave #1 White Super Comp, mainly cause it's long enough ago that I remember w great melancholy having ditched the little ring ,needing only middle & big rings when riding.
    It was also my UH-DH&CC rider back when single discipline bikes weren't even a consideration(other than trials)

A very Close 2nd- My Beam machine, which is my current 5x a week rider, am grateful for the simplicity and forgiving-plush ride that allows me to stay trails mobile(and has since 1991).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_4255.jpg  

-fullsizeoutput_1260.jpg  

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    A very Close 2nd- My Beam machine, which is my current 5x a week rider, am grateful for the simplicity and forgiving-plush ride that allows me to stay trails mobile(and has since 1991).
    That's awesome. Do the dogs get to go with you on a lot of rides?

sftrydr
    Every ride,they are my wingmen.
    Nice rural trails corridors that are leash free puppy friendly around Pacifica.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_5344.jpg  

artistic...
    Bliss!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssulljm View Post
    Every ride,they are my wingmen.
    Nice rural trails corridors that are leash free puppy friendly around Pacifica.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    My GT Pro Performer that I got for Christmas in 1983...wish I still had it, it was stolen

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Klein Q-Pro

mtbr member
    I can't do it.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ibis Alibi.
    -img_0746.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I love anything Specialized...But I have ALWAYS been fond of Klein, Yeti ARC, and pretty well anything sporting anodized parts and original manitous! ha ha. Hard to pick one.