mtbr member

Western Flyer Rat Rod

Here is the latest version of this bicycle. Second generation AMP fork. My ti bars.

I was going to switch it over to a fixed gear but I don't have a tool to get the old style freewheel off so for the moment it's free in the rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02601.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02603.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02604.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02605.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02606.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02607.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02608.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02609.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02610.jpg  

Western Flyer Rat Rod-dsc02611.jpg  

I like bikes
    Badass, something about it just makes me really dig it.

mtbr member
    Thats some cool geometry. Kinda extreme, but I dig it.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Wow

That is the epitome of a "Rat Rod" build. I love how you are unafraid to really go out on a limb with your builds Modifier. I never expected to see that fork on a build like that, but it works!

You should post all your bikes in one thread, it would be fun to see the variety of styles that exist in your stable!

frog

BTW, are you still using that Nakisi stem on your dirt drop build?

mtbr member
    That thing looks like peanut butter, ketchup and sushi all smashed into one and deep fried. That said, I think its interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
    Thats some cool geometry. Kinda extreme, but I dig it.
    It is extreme. But that's the way they built them.

I have the original fork and it has about 2 inches of rake so that would crate less trail which would also reduce the amount of wheel flop, I think, which is pretty big as it is.

It's odd to ride but fun to look at. It will fit in at the annual RatRod show we have here every year. Cruising around the parking lot will be fun.

Kind of torn about grips or tape. Either would be more comfortable but the naked look fits.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    That is the epitome of a "Rat Rod" build. I love how you are unafraid to really go out on a limb with your builds Modifier. I never expected to see that fork on a build like that, but it works!

You should post all your bikes in one thread, it would be fun to see the variety of styles that exist in your stable!

frog

BTW, are you still using that Nakisi stem on your dirt drop build?
    Thanks Frog, I was hoping you would see it. This is the plan I had for this fork all along. Just had to wait for a few odd parts like the 26mm seat post to come in.

The F3 I installed on the road bike is the best fit. That only made the bike better with no drawbacks. This build is all about the look more than the function.

I thought about posting a thread with pics of the F2, F3 and F4 at once so people can see them all in one place. They are all odd. All the bikes might be too many pics Not that there are that many really, but certainly enough to overload.

Yes the Nakisi stem is still on the gravel bike but I haven't ridden it much at all. But it does work well for the intended purpose. I need to take it to the "smooth trails" area that we have, that I almost never ride, because I think it would shine there too.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Yes the Nakisi stem is still on the gravel bike but I haven't ridden it much at all. But it does work well for the intended purpose. I need to take it to the "smooth trails" area that we have, that I almost never ride, because I think it would shine there too.
    If you ever decide to get rid of the stem, let me know. I am trying to track one down, and they are out of stock everywhere.

I say post the pics of all the Amp forks! Edit, just saw the other thread.

frog

Wolf nipple chips
    Why, god?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    Why, god?
    Who said anything about god? I think you've been holed up in that cabin for too long to be aware of what is happening in the rest of the world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Sweet! I love bikes like this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher.kaprielian View Post
    Sweet! I love bikes like this.
    Thanks. I think it looks pretty cool too and am happy with the way it turned out. My ex artschool girlfriend said "I want a cool bike like that too." when she saw it. So I guess it passes with the younger crowd as well. I added some black external end caps to the bars which finished that part out without grips.

Riding it is another story. I took it out for an hour ride about a week ago and on the flat or down hill it's fine but there really isn't an efficient way to get up hills on it. The front wheel flop (due to too much trail) comes out when climbing making it sketchy if your hands are in the center front position and standing up really isn't happening. I could flip the stem over which may help a little with standing but I think it looks better like this and the reality is that about all the riding that is going to happen on it is around the parking lot at the Greaseorama rat rod show this summer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thats wild!