mtbr member

Weinmann 26 x 2.0 rims for Schwinn Klunker build?

This is on a 1941 Schwinn /Excelsior ballooner for coaster brake challenges.

These seem like a good choice, nice and wide, will hopefully fill up the frame better with some modern fat tires.

Is there any reason to use a narrower rim or try to find a wider rim?

Thanks

mtbr member
    In early 1980 the only choices if you were going aluminum were Araya or UKAI....
    After that, Klunkers were quickly becoming obsolete. How correct do you want your build?
    Go with some Ryno Lites and peel off the labels if you don't care about Era correct.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    In early 1980 the only choices if you were going aluminum were Araya or UKAI....
    After that, Klunkers were quickly becoming obsolete. How correct do you want your build?
    Go with some Ryno Lites and peel off the labels if you don't care about Era correct.
    Thank you so much for the input.

I don't want it be correct at all. I was alive then, and I want to buy the things I wished I could afford back then,instead of schlepping all the way to U and I trading post in San Anselmo to see what we could get for $5.

We made our own "Hite-Rites" out of hand exercisers ($4 a pair from Big 5) because we couldn't afford to participate in the bourgeoisie lifestyle of Rich and Joe Breeze.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/17.gif

I intend to to paint and pinstripe the rims to look 40s. More of a "Fast Restomod" than a "Period Correct Klunker".

The Weinmanns and the Ryno Lites are the same price. Do you lean towards the Rhynos? The profile looks more like a Schwinn S2 anyways if nothing else.

Thank you again

mtbr member
    Ryno lites...

Never ridden it that hard but the wheels look the part pretty good.....
    Last edited by tductape; 02-08-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    That looks great.

You need a Hite Rite and the seat clamp bolt from a Schwinn exercise bike.

I like the hand changer too.

mtbr member
    For the bullmoose bars, visit Rides for Kids in San Rafeal

mtbr member
    That one is done and my wife took it over.
    Have a different one on the way back burner....

Schipperkes are cool.
    Wider rims look the part.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.