mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Waterford 1400 - My Favorite 2nd Hand Bargain

Very happy with how this turned out. This is a Waterford 1400. Not sure exactly when it would have been built but likely 95-96ish. I have not called Waterford to confirm. I got a smoking deal on the frameset.

It is lugged and has beautiful Henry James rear drop outs. The only item not complete as I want it is the front derailleur, that will be changed out to a M900/901 as soon as I can find one relatively cheap. I have a couple NOS M900s sitting in their boxes but since I plan on riding the crap out of this thing I just couldn't rationalize putting one of them on.

With this being a 95/96 this is about as period correct as any of my builds will ever get but of course I screwed that all up with XT thumbies, Thomson lay back, and a Monkey Lite.

The only bummer with it was that the frame only has a front rear brake cable guide with the rear being a small brazed on tube. With that you will see some diacompe cable guides on the tope tube but actually kind of liking that since it allowed me to run a full length housing which should hopefully lend to some very nice modulation.

Looking forward to checking out the ride on the Superfly. Sadly was dark out last night when I put the last piece on it so I have not even been able to take it down the driveway yet and it is pouring here today...... soon though soon......

Waterford 1400 - My Favorite 2nd Hand Bargain-wp_20140106_001.jpg

the new Gilbert Grape
    Very nice!! I've seen Waterford road bikes, but I'm not sure that I've seen one fo their mountain bikes. It looks great!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

artistic...
    HOw does it ride??? i see you have a conti speed king up front and it seems smaller than the tire in back. i have those conti speed kings and like them a lot.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ya not a ton of their mountain bikes around. They are incredibly nice craftsmanship once you see them up close. With this one being a 1400 it is all Reynolds 753. When I got it someone had covered it with all sorts of stupid stickers. I should have taken a pic of it, it was hideous. I am glad in retrospect that they did though because it left the paint protected in most spots.

Strangely just the angle of the photo, my CJ7 build is in the middle of the garage so I had to take the pic at kind of an angle and it made it look weird like that. Have not even had a chance to ride it yet but I am itching to. I have ridden that same setup with the Speed King and the Vredstein and I really like it for wet rocky, rooty trails up here in the Cascades. I always used to ride a Cross Country/Leader Pro combination and this has been one of the closest setups in feel to those that I have ridden in a long time.

Super anxious to get it out...... hopefully the rain will taper off a bit this week and I can cut out from work a bit early one day.......

mtbr member
    Lots of nice details on those frames, wish I could find the one we had at the shop.
    Now With Avatar!