Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GMF
    Mmm... Tasty

VRC trail etiquette?

Just wondering how you guys treat other VRC riders if you meet them on the trails?

I was out cruising around on the local trails thoroughly enjoying the dirt on my WTB Phoenix, feeling good, and on a twisty singletrack climb I cam up on a Yo Eddy. Sweet ride. I complimented the bike, received an "old school steel is where it's at", then passed and proceeded to smoke him on the climb. Because, well, you know... west coast represent.

I waited at the top of the climb to talk old school steel, but he just continued on his way...

Do you folk chat up other older-bike riders, or are you just out for a ride? Should I not have showed him the superiority of my NorCal steel?

VRC Illuminati
    I don't pass other vintage riders very often on the trail. I get complements, questions, or conversation often enough by others. Happy to talk about it. Pretty easy to determine how well people know their mtb history. If I came across someone who was dorky about it like I am, I think I'd stop and talk if the trail and time allowed.
    But I'm snobby. Low end bikes I don't care about. Restomod bikes don't tell me they're super into VRC.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Someone would have to be paying pretty close attention to notice rumpfy's Phoenix is vintage.

I see vintage riders from time to time but usually around town more often than on the trail. Usually have some sort of chit chat and then a quick photo for the Blue Collar Bikes thread..
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    haha! Funny story.

I don't really seek out conversations with strangers but I enjoy a nice chat on the top. I also don't mind when people kick my ass going up or down so I doubt the ass whuppin' made him quiet.

I like all old bikes on the trails, actually. Restos, non-period correct, etc. (With good reason. )

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    i've only seen a couple. A ritchey ascent (I believe) and this Yo Eddy. The ascent was piloted by someone who was clearly borrowing it, and the Yo Eddy geekness didn't work out the other day...

Rumpfy - restomod or not (yeah, i get the dig...) i contend any bike with rollercams is solidly in the VRC domain. Haz cams, will geek.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I think you guys would actually enjoy riding together. FB would know. Maybe you can make one of our vintage rides!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post
    Someone would have to be paying pretty close attention to notice rumpfy's Phoenix is vintage.
    No one notices that bike. And I wouldn't call it vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by GMF View Post
    Rumpfy - restomod or not (yeah, i get the dig...) i contend any bike with rollercams is solidly in the VRC domain. Haz cams, will geek.
    I'd notice your bike as a fellow Phoenix owner or for the roller cam....but others might not. Maybe the guy wasn't feeling the same vintage bike rider connection you were?
    -eric-

mtbr member
    maybe he wasn't out cruising other vintage bike riders...

Funny, I was riding up east at my inlaws area mid-VA, and came across some guys chilling out. I roll up and start talking to them on my '93 Cannondale Delta V. Guy eventually asks me about my bike, he about flips out when I tell him how old it is. He is riding one that looks like it except for dirt like it was just out of the showroom. He was telling me his friends got into mountain bike riding and some had bought 3 bikes in a year upgrading each time. When I told him I bought my '93 new in '93 guy jaw dropped. And they were avoiding the heavy climbs that I enjoyed on my light (updated) ride. But no worries, I got a Trance X now and thats cool too, but I kept the '93 too. Means more to me than what its worth!

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkdaddy View Post
    maybe he wasn't out cruising other vintage bike riders...
    You make it sound like a gay bar... of course, nothing wrong with that. I was kind of gay for his Eddy. And I think you guys are hitting it. Fact is, mid 90s bikes are too good to be "core" VRC, and too old to be new school, so are ignored on the trail except by the dork elite.

Maybe i'll borrow one of FB's vintage rides and see if that gets any more attention...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I rarely see anyone riding bikes older than 5 years here in DC metro area. When I was riding the CT out at Canaan in WVA, I heard a creaking noise and turned around to see a guy with a Girvin Proflex hammering through the rocks. It still had elastomers.

I'm gonna do the Fat Tire Festival in June and I'm sure I'll see lots of VRC rides.

Team Brooklyn
    For me it depends on how much time I have - and there is almost never enough to do what I need to do no less what I want to do.
    Maybe he was focused on getting his ride in given similar time constraints.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    on the trail, i only stop to smell the flowers (so to speak)..if you catch me stopped, I'm a talker...but I only get so much ride time...so I ride. I've seen many, many, VRC bikes at RaysMTB (i go at least 3x a week)....and I do talk with folks there about them (I ride a blackmarket MOB so no VRC there for me)....rays is about 30% social, for some its 99%...so alot of talking gets done....and some sweet rides are brought through.
    Since this will be my first year actually sporting a VRC on the trail, I will have to see how it goes...and I like VRC from 80's or 90's...just cool to see older bikes stilll being ran...I have friends that also buy bikes every year. I personally believe that a bike fits better each year you own it (with the exception of my GT force carbon pro...it sucked from day one).

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Where is RaysMTB?

Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    Since this will be my first year actually sporting a VRC on the trail, I will have to see how it goes...
    yay! What bike do you have again?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Where is RaysMTB?

yay! What bike do you have again?
    rays is in Cleveland, Oh (also there's one in wisconson)...Ray is a good friend of mine and built this place to ride in the winter. Several things have happened since building that place...I can now jump and pump and ride skinneys with the best of them...I dont hate winter no more...and...i've never been to the hospital so many times in my life.

raysmtb.com
    Last edited by syklystt; 03-28-2013 at 10:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    No one notices that bike. And I wouldn't call it vintage.
    It's pre-2000, no?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    It's pre-2000, no?
    That's your line? Ban Hammer time.

VRC Illuminati
    It's pre-2000, no?
    Late 95 with TC out back. DA rd, XC Pro md cranks, M900 brifters, AC post...but repainted, modern Ritchey WCS stem, Easton SL risers, a 2001 SID and BB7/King ISO up front undoing any true vintage street cred.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    well, actually, I have many, I'm building the list below right now....just cant get the time to finish them. I have most of my parts...its just time that I need.
    in process is:
    mantis profloater
    boulder gazelle/defiant
    K2 oz
    garyfisher RS-1
    GaryFisher supercalibur
    Haro extreme
    Nishiki alien
    raliegh technium Chill
    Gt Lts
    Gt xizang
    Gt rts
    Gt all terra 85' clunker build
    and all of them will be ridden...hopefully hard...but as you can tell by the list, I really like full suspension bikes....and for very good reasons.
    I have many others to choose from too and many frames to build up once I finish these....freekin' VRC addiction dangit!

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    The bikes I ride tend to get alot of attention. The 36 Elgin I modded with disk brakes gets alot of questions and positive comments that I enjoy. My 41 DX on the other hand gets alot of dumb comments like "have you ever thought about getting a new bike?" I generally don't see lots of older bikes but when I do I will strike up a conversation. With it being the spring time we have a whole slew of newbs with disposible income on new and expensive full susser bikes fresh from the Trek store that don't understand why they can't keep up with an antique on the climbs.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Not exactly sure how the link below was considered a "similar thread" at the bottom of this topic, but it's hilarious!

Is sex on the trail bad etiquette?

And to comment on the actual thread, I very rarely (maybe 2x) see other vintage riders in San Diego and the modern riders won't comment. I don't think the majority of current riders get the whole VRC hobby, generally speaking.

What would Tesco do?
    I get out on my VRC bikes pretty regularly here in Northern Utah and very rarely have I ever seen other VRC riders out on the trails, or been asked about mine. If your bike isn't a 9'er or have 160mm of travel it goes unnoticed for the most part. That not me capping on those bikes, just an observation.

mtbr member
    You make it sound like a gay bar... of course, nothing wrong with that...
    I was just poking a bit of fun...
    When I'm riding my old bike it does climb well, but sometimes feel like the guy who is using those old non-parabolic skis to use a ski analogy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    well, actually, I have many, I'm building the list below right now....just cant get the time to finish them. I have most of my parts...its just time that I need.
    in process is:
    mantis profloater
    boulder gazelle/defiant
    K2 oz
    garyfisher RS-1
    GaryFisher supercalibur
    Haro extreme
    Nishiki alien
    raliegh technium Chill
    Gt Lts
    Gt xizang
    Gt rts
    Gt all terra 85' clunker build!
    Holy cow! You must not be married. My wife won't allow another bike in my house and I only have 7 including her 2 and the kids. Well, they are in what most people would have as a formal living room...

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jack lantern View Post
    I get out on my VRC bikes pretty regularly here in Northern Utah
    Lucky.

Also...didn't people stop using parabolic skiis? They look normalish again although they're fatter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    then passed and proceeded to smoke him on the climb. Because, well, you know... west coast represent.
    I waited at the top of the climb to talk old school steel, but he just continued on his way...
    Let me read between the lines here.
    So your brief moment enjoying a false sense of superiority was ruined when the other rider--who was pacing himself--kept going after cresting the climb rather than stopping to catch his breath . . . like . . . um . . . you ?
    Sounds VRC to me.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast