Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Vintage XC Category - Iron Horse Bicycle Classic - Memorial Day, Durango, CO

8K views 83 replies 16 participants last post by  CCMDoc 
#1 ·
VRC Peeps - This year the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic is hosting and putting a lot of weight behind a new vintage MTB category in the cross country race.

We're hoping to get a bunch of the local heros (Ned, Herbold, etc) to come out on vintage race bikes and compete, so this is a pretty sweet opportunity. Regardless, there will be some amazing bikes being raced and on display. The event is run on in-town trails and goes through local bars and shops downtown. Its a real good time.

Durango is a bit tough to get to but it's worth it. Commit to a couple day trip and we'll show you a good time. Its the Iron Horse, it's Durango, it's May. You really can't go wrong with all three.

Info / Registration online at ironhorsebicycleclassic.com

See less See more
#6 ·
Video of the bar section. Dont tell me the people with vintage bikes and outfits woudn't get a huge reception from this crowd? Tension discs rumbling through Steamworks? Yeah. In.

#12 ·
You have any for me to use? I can't afford to keep doing that.

This is sweet. Besides Keyesville, are there any other races with vintage categories? Seems like the way mountain bike racing is going, with more emphasis on the amateur participants and the overall experience, vintage categories could be a good thing.
Agreed. Seems like it might be popping up here and there. I think it takes us (the VRC community) to get that ball rolling though. Doesn't make sense for them to do it if the people aren't signing up. But seeing as how Vintage MTB Racing isn't rider ability, age, or gender dependent....you can fill the class more than say....clydes or tandems. The 'fun' angle is a good one.

#9 ·
This is sweet. Besides Keyesville, are there any other races with vintage categories? Seems like the way mountain bike racing is going, with more emphasis on the amateur participants and the overall experience, vintage categories could be a good thing.

#13 ·
It would be great to see this started here on the East coast. We have some classic sites including Hunter and Mount Snow as well as a bunch of local courses with the typical root and rock single track, fire road, etc.

#11 ·
Last year before the race, I was standing at the bar ordering a beer, and nobody realized they had just opened the course for warmups. I started to back away with my Wanna Get Rye, and almost got hit in the head by a handlebar as some guy wheelied through the restaurant. Gotta love Durango.

#21 ·
A slingshot would be awesome. Always turns heads.

Major props to Ameybrook for anchoring/organizing lots of Colorado based events. You guys have some of the best trails in America.

I have a trip that weekend already, otherwise, I would have tried to go! Maybe some of the northern Utah guys can try to make it!

STICKIED.

#22 ·
Not quite true, Last year only Pro/Cat 1's went through Steamworks. Everyone else turned down an alley right before. I raced masters last year and didn't go through it, my kids were very disapointed. I was planning on getting my ass kicked in Cat 1 (amazing how a 20 year old NORBA license will still keep you racing Cat 1) just so I could go through the restaurant this year. Should be fun times though either way. If any of you have been in Durango for the Iron Horse you know how much fun the entire scene is the whole weekend.

#30 ·
One month to go, so we're getting down to it. Some buzz definitely being generated in town. Trails are dry and sun is out so the course is getting packed in nicely. Some rain would help. Right now we have probably a solid dozen committed with some local old school heroes thrown in. Hopefully anyone within a couple hours of Durango can make the trip. It'll be worth it!

Time to build the race bike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.