mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Vintage Specialized Stumpjumper Restore Project

Hey guys,

I'm a new member here, but I've been here and there with a couple of mountain bikes in the past couple of years. Well, this past weekend I picked up a 1995 True Blue Specialized Stumpjumper for a great price.Frame is in pretty good shape, and I will be turning this into a nice and fun little project for myself. I figured some of you would enjoy updates as I plan on respraying the frame Signal Green (Porsche green) near the end of this week.I have a couple other plans in mind but my main goal as of now is to get this thing resprayed and then back into riding condition. Feel free to comment on whatever, and let me know what you guys think.

Vintage Specialized Stumpjumper Restore Project-img_0300.jpg
    When I picked it up

Vintage Specialized Stumpjumper Restore Project-img_0303.jpgThe planned respray color (the color of the porsche in the back, that bike is only there for comparison from google images.)

artistic...
    I like the blue.
    want: bontrager race frame, medium.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I like the blue.
    Seconded.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    And a third.... motion passes.

guyincognito7 - Just one piece of advice from someone who has gotten bit badly by the Vintage MTB bug..... painting bikes tends to get expensive and often you might be better served by putting that paint fund cash either into the build or into the next project that will inevitably come your way much to the annoyance of your significant other....

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    I like the blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Seconded.
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    And a third.... motion passes.

guyincognito7 - Just one piece of advice from someone who has gotten bit badly by the Vintage MTB bug..... painting bikes tends to get expensive and often you might be better served by putting that paint fund cash either into the build or into the next project that will inevitably come your way much to the annoyance of your significant other....
    Indeed datmony...Hoping this is a one time ordeal haha, but nevertheless, i think you guys will end up liking it after all after the respray and after I slap on a fresh pair of Specialized decals i found on ebay for $7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by guyincognito7 View Post
    Indeed datmony...Hoping this is a one time ordeal haha, but nevertheless, i think you guys will end up liking it after all after the respray and after I slap on a fresh pair of Specialized decals i found on ebay for $7
    The blue is perfect. Fix the fork and do the best you can with the rest. Then ride like a scald monkey and tell us how awesome it is.
    "It's not that bicycling is so important, it is that everything else is equally unimportant."-Bruce Ohlson.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    I have 2 schools of thought on this. One, is that it's your bike so do what you want.

The second, is that it's only original once and if the paint is in good order, then I wouldn't bother repainting it (other than maybe touching up any scuffs or chips that are open to bare metal).

I've repainted bikes where the paint was not original and was pretty munted to begin with. I have one bike where the paint isn't flash, but I've done a touch up job and the results were good.

Primarily, it's your bike. Also, it's not a bike that was welded by a supermodel and painted by a Nobel prize winner, if it was I'd probably crack a massive fit about a respray. If you want to do, go for it, but it's not what I'd do even if the decals cost $8.

Grumps

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    nevertheless, i think you guys will end up liking it after all after the respray
    I'm just guessing here, but I was simply being polite. I'm thinking others were too.

Grumpy has a good take on it, because yes, it is yours after all, but me personally?

That green is hideous in IMO, and would be an affront to that otherwise awesome, not beat down paint job, Stumpy.

There, cat's outta the bag, I feel better.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm in the don't paint it crowd. Blue Specialized have a special place in my heart. I owned two (a hard rock and then a rock hopper) when I was a teen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Go ahead and paint it. It's what I did with my first vintage. Keep in mind you probably aren't increasing the value of the bike or the desirability. I powder coated two frames different colors than the original. Got it out of my system.

mtbr member
    I say paint it, there's tons of them in blue. Very few in that green.
    Technology dragass

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update: Bike was in the process of being powder coated earlier today, may get it back tomorrow. Just got new WTB All Terrain tires, new cables, new seat, new pedals, and received new decals. Will post pictures later. Thanks for everyones feedback, supportive or not

Vintage Specialized Stumpjumper Restore Project-bike-green.jpg
    Anyways, here is a better picture of the signal green, i think it gives the color more justice.

PS: Anyone have any specific recommendations on a new fork? Will a disc fork fit? On a budget so preferably on the cheaper side...
    Last edited by guyincognito7; 3 Days Ago at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Forks for that bike are few and far between. You'll likely need to find a used fork with 50 to 80mm travel. A new 100mm fork will screw up the geometry. Ebay might be your best bet, but make sure it's rebuilt or still has a rebuild kit available for it.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member

PS: Anyone have any specific recommendations on a new fork? Will a disc fork fit? On a budget so preferably on the cheaper side...
    Sounds like it might be too late but what you really should do is find a rigid fork, and have it powdercoated to match the frame. Something in the 410 - 415mm axle-to-crown length would probably work as a good substitution.

Otherwise, if that fork still works, just use it and don't waste your time looking for disc compatibility. Those Mag forks were pretty good for their day, and are still pretty serviceable. Anything else you can find in the correct length and correct steerer size is likely to be inferior.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    Something in the 410 - 415mm axle-to-crown length would probably work as a good substitution.
    I take that back. Maybe 400-405mm...
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Vintage Specialized Stumpjumper Restore Project-fullsizerender-1-.jpgVintage Specialized Stumpjumper Restore Project-image1.jpgVintage Specialized Stumpjumper Restore Project-image2.jpg

Some new pictures. Expecting to pick the frame up tomorrow, then the re-build begins. Should i go with black or silver decal set on the signal green frame?

mtbr member
    Black!
    The Truth will set you free.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Silver!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    No, black on the drive side, silver on the other.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Actually, silver on the drive side, black on the other.

mtbr member
    imo ,just like the car in the picture, everything exept the frame (and a rigid fork..) should be black including the decals..