mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Vintage rider on vintage bike

Hi everyone,

My name's Al, I live in the UK and I'm returning to cycling after 14 years. Out of touch with modern bikes.

I still have my '93 Trek 800, unused for quite a while but still looks good apart from a small amount of surface rust on the handlebars.

I need to get fit after a health scare, I recently had a TIA and I'm 58, but I'm not about to become a downhill warrior anytime soon.

Advice needed - what will I need to do to return the bike to the road (safely and reliably), and what cheap modifications/upgrades would be a good idea. Are parts likely to be difficult to come by? Will modern ones fit?

I'm thinking that some sort of luggage/carrying facility and mudguards would be a good idea - using the bike to go get provisions instead of using the car makes sense.

I'm still off work at the moment and I'm not sure about the long term prospects of returning - so throwing lots of money at it could be an issue - but gas costs a lot and shopping needs to be done, so man maths says it's worth some investment.

If you think it's the wrong starting point for what I need please tell me.

Thanks in advance,

Al

mtbr member
    Best thing to do is to take the bike down to your local shop and let them go over it for you. Replace all your cables, old cables can snap and send you right back to the hospital. Taller bars or maybe beach cruiser bars will help with comfort and keep you on the bike a bike a bit longer.
    Good luck.
    Now With Avatar!

Humanoid Lobster
    I'd recommend taking it in to your local bike shop for a tune-up. Trek 800's were decent, low cost, sturdy bikes. Some of the parts might be difficult to replace, but it is in good order a tune-up would probably suffice.

The shop I worked at in '93 sold them for $299 if my memory serves me, so it's not worth throwing a lot of money at if all you're looking for is a bike to get around. Then again, it may not need much. Your local shop would be your best resource to find out. (And if you're going to be riding again, it would be well worth finding a good shop locally to help out.) We're good for specific answers to specific questions, they're good for getting you back on the road.

All of the parts that are "consumables" (Brake pads, cables, tubes, tires, chain, freewheel/cassettes) should be easy enough to come by.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel View Post
    Best thing to do is to take the bike down to your local shop and let them go over it for you. Replace all your cables, old cables can snap and send you right back to the hospital. Taller bars or maybe beach cruiser bars will help with comfort and keep you on the bike a bike a bit longer.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the rapid reply

Alyn

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    I'd recommend taking it in to your local bike shop for a tune-up. Trek 800's were decent, low cost, sturdy bikes. Some of the parts might be difficult to replace, but it is in good order a tune-up would probably suffice.

The shop I worked at in '93 sold them for $299 if my memory serves me, so it's not worth throwing a lot of money at if all you're looking for is a bike to get around. Then again, it may not need much. Your local shop would be your best resource to find out. (And if you're going to be riding again, it would be well worth finding a good shop locally to help out.) We're good for specific answers to specific questions, they're good for getting you back on the road.

All of the parts that are "consumables" (Brake pads, cables, tubes, tires, chain, freewheel/cassettes) should be easy enough to come by.
    Great, I was bracing myself for the scrap it and start with something else type of answer.

I really enjoyed the bike,and sure I shall again.

I've a good local shop, I recently bought a bike for my 9 year old son from them. I shall arrange for them to replace what's needed, with a bit of luck the doc will pass me fit to drive next week so I can drop it off with them.

I'll be back when I've got it sorted.

Thanks again

Alyn

mtbr member
    Alyn, check this site:

Retrobike Forum Index | Retrobike

Probably find some neighbours to help you out.

mtbr member
    How about call your shop, ask if they will do a while you wait tune up. Ride the bike there, then ride it back tuned up. cables tubes tune easily in an hour. Hang out and stare at all the goodies too.

V-brakes are a good upgrade for very good stopping power. Get well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ARS View Post
    Alyn, check this site:

Retrobike Forum Index | Retrobike

Probably find some neighbours to help you out.
    Hey that's a great link.

Thank you.

Alyn

Stokeless Asshat
    You'll find that RetroBike will be very helpful. You Brits are a much friendlier bunch than us Yanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterliney View Post
    Hey that's a great link.

Thank you.

Alyn
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It looks good - so much to learn!

Alyn