Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A Vintage Parts Fab

38K views 245 replies 72 participants last post by  jeff 
#1 ·
If you can no longer buy it, you end up making it.

See less See more
#120 ·
The Making of a Cunningham-like Brake

A few steps in the manual production process of this brake. There is a pattern involved, but it is still a very tedious process so I only make a brake if I really need it.

As I later learned, this design was done in the 1930's and was known as the Schultz brake. I call this one the linear-cross-bar-brake or LCBB.

Metal Steel Automotive exhaust Aluminium Household hardware

Metal Steel Aluminium Silver Hardware accessory

Bicycle part Tool Metal Silver Steel

Metal Steel Silver Bicycle part Aluminium

Metal Grey Composite material Steel Circle

#172 ·
Nice work guys!

Classen, at one time those stops were a Suntour framebuilding catalog item, but sadly nowhere to be found these days. Trek used them a lot on the bonded frames. When installing it helps to use Loctite or a Nylon washer underneath (ala Mantis) to set the orientation. Nice threading to a shoulder.

Mine for WTB multimounts,

http://forums.mtbr.com/7756189-post89.html

#207 ·
Syncros Steerhorns have an aluminum clamping wedge that snugs against the bar with a steel set screw. Eventually these wedges crack so I fabbed a few of them today.

The ones in back are experiments, ones in the middle are the real new deals, and the bottom is the original part. The other picture shows how they fit into the inside of the bar end. The new ones fit exactly as the original parts did. Not the most sophisticated part but something I needed.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
DoubleCentury said:
Actually, I don't own any GT's either, thus the ";-)". But I suppose it would work on a GT.

Where is such a part available NOS?
GT Flip Flop stem from 1991. They are commonly available on eBay for as little as $9.95-$15.95 but are always black. One seller has both 1" and 1-1/8" listed in his store quite often. Stop turning and start buying :)

#19 · (Edited)
Those are a dime a dozen too. Some of you guys need to learn to use google.
ferrule end-cap cadplate 6mm 10 pack ... $4.99 More common in motorcycle shops these days then bike shops.
There's also a ton of old Tioga 2.0mm innerwire brake cable sets out there that come with them.

#20 ·
gm1230126 said:
Those are a dime a dozen too. Some of you guys need to learn to use google.
ferrule end-cap cadplate 6mm 10 pack ... $4.99 More common in motorcycle shops these days then bike shops.
There's also a ton of old Tioga 2.0mm innerwire brake cable sets out there that come with them.
Cool, score me a couple of packs and then pm me. 6mm OD, 6mm ID step down.

#21 · (Edited)
gm1230126 said:
They are commonly available on eBay for as little as $9.95-$15.95 but are always black. One seller has both 1" and 1-1/8" listed in his store quite often. Stop turning and start buying :)
Good to know. However this part and the 6mm ferrules are destined for a very specific application, for a bike as early at 1983-1984. More to come.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.