Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

The Vintage MTB Workshop

It's hard to believe, but many of us here have been involved with vintage mountain bikes for well over a decade. In some cases, what was once the novelty of owning a dream bike from ones youth turns into much more. That one bike becomes a few more, and then expands into more interesting bikes and those that might even go back to before ones first involvement with the sport. At some point, maybe it can be said that a bike or two represent "a piece of mountain bike history." Except that phrase is over-used. The bikes can introduce you to new friends and interesting people, including some of your childhood idols, and can take you interesting places. Who knew.

I've consistently shared on this forum what I've done acquiring, restoring, and riding the bikes I own, or should I say the bikes that own me. But forums change, picture sites change, memberships change, and things get lost on the ever-expanding web. However, I still feel that it is important to share with the community what has already been done. Resources such as MOMBAT are so valuable for those that want to participate in this community. At this point, I personally can only do so much with the bikes that I own, so a website to share them with others seems purposeful.

Many of the bikes will be familiar to regulars of this forum, and some are very recent additions. If I had waited until every one of my bikes had been fully-restored, a website never would have happened. So, there are a dozen bikes listed on the Welcome page that have yet to be completed, assuming that no new projects are added. And there are a few road bikes sprinkled in for good measure. The website is called a Workshop because the desire in the future is to do less of the restorations and more original fabrication of parts and frames.

Enjoy!

Vintage MTB Workshop

photo IMG_3231a.jpg
    Last edited by DoubleCentury; 01-06-2014 at 10:37 PM.

velocipede technician
    ... Assuming that no new projects are added..

I called that one

Nice site
    looking for 20-21" P team

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Wow DC....the site is as tight and stunning as your builds....fantastic effort...thank you for sharing.

Steve

the new Gilbert Grape
    Very nicely done.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    So much goodness in one site. Well done site and thanks for sharing your collection.
    Now With Avatar!

Spin it again
    Well done, DC. Nicely organized with your usual meticulous attention to detail. Thanks!

mtbr member
    More compliments for you web site and your bike!!

I want your post!!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Yowza!

And there goes any productivity over the next few weeks.

Grumps

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Nice work! Beautiful pics, layout, and of course, bikes and bits.

Thanks for the tour of your "shop"!

Minor question though, Star headsets, would you really consider them "rare"? I ask, since I can order one, any time. Not being nitpicky, more curious, didn't know if you knew, they are routinely available through Euro Asia Imports.

I have a few, and love them, and though set up is a smidge tedious, performance and durability are top notch!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Fantastic site and amazing collection! How about a shot or two of the actual workshop?

echoing everyone else... fantastic bikes, photos, words and overall presentation

Why would you own 100 Yugos when you could own 1 Porsche? - Rumpfy

mtbr member
    Thank you all for the compliments.

Mendon, you are correct that the Star headset is still available from EAI, as are a number of esoteric products. From what I can tell, EAI has all of the remaining inventory and little further information is available about them. The only other one I've seen in person was over 10 years ago, making it more rare than a Ti King, for example.

DFA
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Just a quick update on information for the two Salsa bikes in the collection,

The paint on the 1983 Salsa is named "candy-flage," and was inspired by a quilt that hung in a group household in Santa Cruz, CA, known as "Hut Otis", where Ross lived on occasion."

The slogan "If it Ain't Moto, It's Worthless" was written on the kitchen wall of this home.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    hahaha DFA. Very nice, DC! Glad you put together something like that and ironed your sheet. I see your Breezer in there....

It must have taken a lot of work and your efforts are surely rewarded with knowing there are a hundreds of drooling vintage fans looking at it.

Congrats and thanks for all that you do for the vintage community. Miss ya!

mtbr member
    Great stuff. Very well done! I look forward to picking up a few of your mods if they ever become available to the public. I really like the write ups that come with each bike. I can't deny sometimes when I am alone in the garage admiring my bikes, I have little write ups about their provenance going through my head.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    The only other one I've seen in person was over 10 years ago, making it more rare than a Ti King, for example.
    Gotcha. I was under the impression they were still being made, sounds like not.

Pretty bomber though, sounds like I should be ordering a few more before they go away for good.

Funny, seen several of them, but only one CK ti, I guess rarity is in the eye of the beholder!

DFA, that's too funny, my wife even chuckled, which is hard to make her do, LOL!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

artistic...
    .. excellent photography. Not overly glamorous but neutral good quality... The same light/ same background approach makes for a clear understanding of the collection. Very german.. in a good way.
    Excellent website and stunning collection.
    It's clear what you favour and like: norcal builders.. even Bontrager has a spot.

Well done.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Schipperkes are cool.
    wow
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

sftrydr
    Damn impressive, glad there are bike guys like you to make up for bike guys like me(this is a sincere compliment)

mtbr member
    Sully I loved that picture of yours with all the red bikes on the deck!
    Last edited by tductape; 01-05-2014 at 10:56 PM.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Wonderfully amazing collection! I sure wish I could wrangle that fork off your TrialsComp though, mine took a hit from a forklift six years back. Finding 24" wheel forks w/u-brake mounts ain't easy.

Then there's that '92 McMahon, oh my God....The Vintage MTB Workshop-ebey_fronthub.jpg
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Stokeless Asshat
    Echo everyone here.

One nit to pick if I may. Even though I believe they're all too small, (thank god), there are no sizes stated for any of the bikes or frames for sale.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Great website for an awesome collection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    there are no sizes stated for any of the bikes or frames for sale.
    ....or prices. Everything fits someone in the 5'10" range.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast