mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Vintage fuji titanium mountain bike frame

I just bought on ebay and I've been trying to find some info online, but coming up with nothing. I don't know the year or anything. but does anyone know when they first made them. any info would be great. thanks

VRC Illuminati
    Do a search on the VRC and they've come up in conversations before.

Only specific thread I could find:
    Titanium Fuji
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just got the bike in and put back together. I took it out on a nice medium trail at santos trail head in ocala florida. The bike did pretty well. Climbing was great and the downhill wasn't all that bad either. I did notice that the front fork needs to be replaced because I bottomed it out jumping off a measly 2 footer jump. Also the seat post kept sliding down no matter how much I tightened it. After further inspection I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to do something different because the seat tightener is welded onto the frame. Any suggestions would be great.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by coachtsurfing
    . Also the seat post kept sliding down no matter how much I tightened it. After further inspection I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to do something different because the seat tightener is welded onto the frame. Any suggestions would be great.
    I suggest the correct size seat post.
    -eric-

bonked
    How about throwing a picture up so we can see what you got. Two things come to mind though:

1) That bike really isn't meant to be hucked

2) It more likely than not was designed to run a fork with an axle to crown of maybe 395mm. That means anything more than an early 90s Rockshox or Manitou fork is going to be kind of long for it.

Funny, having grown up in Florida I never would associate climbing and downhilling with central Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    seat post seems to fit fine. it gradually slips down when i hit a bump or something. almost like it's stripped. i was thinking about putting some duck tape on the post so the clamp would have more to grab onto.

bonked
    seat post seems to fit fine. it gradually slips down when i hit a bump or something. almost like it's stripped. i was thinking about putting some duck tape on the post so the clamp would have more to grab onto.
    If you have to put Duck tape on the post then the post does not fit. Take the bike to a good shop that has a seat tube gauge and have them figure out what size post that frame takes.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    thanks, I need to get a new front fork also. what's a good one, but not crazy expensive. something under 100 dollars.

bonked
    something rigid
    Yes I am!

John Galt
    thanks, I need to get a new front fork also. what's a good one, but not crazy expensive. something under 100 dollars.
    A two-foot drop is a bit much for a vintage XC bike. If that's the only issue you had with the fork, you may not have a problem. $100 will get you some decent used forks, and that's what you should be looking at, as you need minimal travel to preserve the bike's handling.

What head tube size you have will dictate how many fork choices you have. Also, if you're using cantilever brakes, you'll need a fork with a hanger. If you change to v-brakes, you'll need adapters or new brake levers. Photos and more info on the bike will help us help you...

Wolf nipple chips
    Have you considered using that FSA high friction compound? Typically used on carbon and uber-lightweight aluminum stuff, but it may help your stuff out if it just barely slips.

Just a suggestion...

bonked
    Is it this bike?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Fuji-Tit...QQcmdZViewItem

You are going to be really limited in what is available in a suspension fork as it is 1 inch and probably pre-suspension corrected. I agree with cegrover that you need to look for something used but even then you are going to be limited. Seriously consider going rigid. Look for a new Tange rigid fork for what, $50 or $60 maybe?
    Yes I am!

bonked
    Actually, the same seller has a Kinesis aluminum fork for sale right now. See if you can score that. Perfect match for a Ti frame if you go rigid.
    Yes I am!

VRC Illuminati
    Seller is a good guy.
    -eric-

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Seller is a good guy.
    I agree. In my experience he has been outstanding.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    dont know the guy from adam but he sold a clean bike i'd rigid that front end and re-build to era spec's .

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wow, you guys are really good. First off, it was the bike on ebay that I bought. I've always wanted a ti bike and it seemed like a good deal. Secondly, I went to the bike shop and got a seat post that actually fit. I was shocked that they made seat posts in so many different sizes. It was an 1/8 off and the new one fits great. I haven't taken it out on the trails yet, but riding it in the back yard saw no slippage at all. It takes a 1 inch fork. Which the guy said is going to be a problem. Not many around he said. I'm kind of new to trail riding so anything in Florida seems up hill to me. lol. I came from primarily riding road bikes. After I did the Hawaiian Ironman in 2005, my butt just didn't want to see another road bike saddle again. Mountain bike riding seemed so much more fun. You get tired of counting how many road reflectors are out there. The bike shop guy did mention I should go rigid. He's looking now for either rigid or shock. I'm not really into too much of jumping, but the fork on it now bottomed out on a 2 foot drop off. I pretty much ride medium trails at Santos. The trails have some exposed roots and rocks. A few drop offs are what really I'm worried about. I don't want to break anything. I really appreciate all the info you guys know your stuff. Thanks.