Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

Vintage Cross Bike Thread CX

Is there a thread on vintage cross bikes? I have an older Curtlo one (that's not old enough to be vintage) that I use as my bike around town but I know some of you guys have some nice ones made by some fantastic builders. (eh hem, Halaburt and DC.)

In all the excitement of the NAHBS show I forgot something that really got me stoked at the show until Black Mountain Cycles mentioned it. Bruce Gordon is bringing back the skinwall Panaracer Rock n' Roll 700 x 43c foldable tires. The tread looks great for rolling as well as dirt. Come April, all the vintage CX bikes can sport some good looking tires to match their vintage rides.

Yay for the retro grouches everywhere. Thank you, Bruce Gordon!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    The 40c on the bike at the show looked pretty big, right Nate? Do you have pics? I'm digging through mine without success.

mtbr member
    *dbl*
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

velocipede technician
    didn't see this one coming...
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    I was stoked to hear about the Rock n Road rerelease as well....and then dejected to think they might prove too big for my spindly Steeman Eurocross (at least in front).

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    didn't see this one coming...
    wha....

mtbr member
    No--I don't have any pics unfortunately. The booth was pretty packed each time I went by, so I contented myself to see with my eyes, not with my lens. But yeah, fat tire for a trad cross bike.

the new Gilbert Grape
    40mm is a big CX tire. My Bontrager CX wont's accept a 38mm rear tire, although it fits in the front. My newer CX bike foes accept larger tires though.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

m o t o !
    Dugast 34mm in a 1985 touring bike modified to CX:

much more mud clearance in front:

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    ^nice bike!

here's mine. some old belgian racing cyclocross bike (no bottle mounts ). should be a diamant.

tires are kenda krosscyclo, 700x35c, very cheap, but actually quite good.
    not shown in the pics is the bigger chainring, salsa stem and proper dropbars that i put on last month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Is there a thread on vintage cross bikes? I have an older Curtlo one (that's not old enough to be vintage) ...
    I hesitate to start this discussion again, for a whole new discipline... but what's the distinction between vintage versus non-vintage cyclocross bikes?

I have this '97/'98 Ibis Hakkaluggi that may or may not qualify. It seems like you and a few others actually have one of these, too, if I recall correctly. I haven't shared mine in the VRC forum yet however, because it has a few modern components. It's my absolute favorite bike to ride at the moment though, from one of my favorite vintage builders, AND it fits a 44c tire quite nicely, as you can see. I'll bet those skinwall rock&road tires would look REALLY sweet on it. Hmmmm....

Vintage Cross Bike Thread CX-hakka5.jpg
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by iamkeith View Post
    I hesitate to start this discussion again, for a whole new discipline... but what's the distinction between vintage versus non-vintage cyclocross bikes?
    Hmmm... Not sure about your question, but can it really be called a Hakkalugi if it's not green?
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Hmmm... Not sure about your question, but can it really be called a Hakkalugi if it's not green?
    Seems like an open door for what could be some some pretty gross come-backs... so I'll refrain from answering.

But here are some pictures, stollen from the web, of the TIRE in question...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage Cross Bike Thread CX-rnr-tread.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

tire clearance

Was being able to fit these size tires a custom feature? All Hakkalugi's that I have heard of including mine, fit tires up to 35mm.
    I also have a 98 Salsa La Cruz .

I have this '97/'98 Ibis Hakkaluggi that may or may not qualify. It seems like you and a few others actually have one of these, too, if I recall correctly. I haven't shared mine in the VRC forum yet however, because it has a few modern components. It's my absolute favorite bike to ride at the moment though, from one of my favorite vintage builders, AND it fits a 44c tire quite nicely, as you can see. I'll bet those skinwall rock&road tires would look REALLY sweet on it. Hmmmm....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hakka5.jpg 
Views:	2697 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	679652

underachiever
    I have this '97/'98 Ibis Hakkaluggi
    Probably my favorite CX bike, or as they called it, an adventure bike. They used stainless Columbus Metax chainstays, which was pretty cool.

Speaking of Metax, here's my 1996 (or so) Rhygin Metax CX. This is one rare bird as only about a dozen Metax CX bikes were produced. Tire clearance is only 32mm, but I can deal with that. Not really "vintage" but it does have some nice parts on it.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    The saddle IS nice

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants View Post

Those brakes! Do want. What are they!?
    "I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    The rims are pretty sweet too.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by ender. View Post
    Those brakes! Do want. What are they!?
    SRP Mr. Grumpy

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the pics of the Rock n Roll tread. It looks really really fun to ride.

As for you Lugi, sure seems okay to me. For me, at least, if the frame looks the same or similar to what they have been making for years, it would slide into vintage. It is a pandora's box though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burritoguru View Post
    Was being able to fit these size tires a custom feature? All Hakkalugi's that I have heard of including mine, fit tires up to 35mm.
    I also have a 98 Salsa La Cruz .
    The '97 Ibis catalog said "15mm of mud and fender room, even with 35c tires." So I've used up most of the mud clearance, to be sure. I use it as a trail bike though, and don't race cyclocross, so mud clearance isn't a huge issue to me. It seems like tires aren't always measured apples-to-apples, either. 44mm could be the tread dimension in this case, and be the casing diameter in others. As you can see, the tightest clearance condition is actually at the back of the seat tube, and not the stays. If it starts to be a problem (there's a pulley hiding under that ice), I may have to switch to a top pull derailleur - but so far so good.

Vintage Cross Bike Thread CX-img_6287.jpg

Vintage Cross Bike Thread CX-imag374.jpg

I just built this up last year, and it was frustratingly hard to find off-road 700c tires in a 42-44 size range. The Panaracer/IRC FireXC Pro, that everybody uses now, is a really wide and knobby 45, and doesn't fit many bikes. So I think this rock 'n road is great news! Coverage from the NAHMBS said that "monstercross" bikes were a big theme this year, so maybe there'll be even more mid-size options coming that will fit our vintage bikes!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    So I think this rock 'n road is great news! Coverage from the NAHMBS said that "monstercross" bikes were a big theme this year, so maybe there'll be even more mid-size options coming that will fit our vintage bikes!
    The 40c ones in the show looked really really big. I'm a little curious what the actual measurement will be.

The Tioga Gritty Gripper is a 700 x 40c and comes in skinwall. You can still find these around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vintage Cross Bike Thread CX-p1080934.jpg  

Vintage Cross Bike Thread CX-p1080933.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidftw View Post
    ^nice bike!

here's mine. some old belgian racing cyclocross bike (no bottle mounts ). should be a diamant.

tires are kenda krosscyclo, 700x35c, very cheap, but actually quite good.
    not shown in the pics is the bigger chainring, salsa stem and proper dropbars that i put on last month.
    Cool lookin bike there!

I can't say I'm a huge 'cross bike fan (give me a mtb or a road bike) although I think they're neat and can be fun.

Those Rock n Road tires are a fairly close copy to the early Nokian Hakkepalita (sp?) tires. I'll have to snap a pic of mine.

I've got a couple vintage cross bikes (bontrager, alan, cunningham) and recently picked up an early 90s Bianchi Project which I will probably put drop bars on and maybe some mustache bars like on yours, rigidftw... Not sure yet on the direction of that one. Any ideas would be welcome.

more beers, less gears
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    Cool lookin bike there!

I can't say I'm a huge 'cross bike fan (give me a mtb or a road bike) although I think they're neat and can be fun.

Those Rock n Road tires are a fairly close copy to the early Nokian Hakkepalita (sp?) tires. I'll have to snap a pic of mine.

I've got a couple vintage cross bikes (bontrager, alan, cunningham) and recently picked up an early 90s Bianchi Project which I will probably put drop bars on and maybe some mustache bars like on yours, rigidftw... Not sure yet on the direction of that one. Any ideas would be welcome.
    thanks!
    should be just over a year that i own this bike and i rode just about any kind of terrain with it. cross bikes are the most versatile bikes i know and 90% of the riding you'd usually do with a mtb around here can be done a cross bike, too.
    the racing scene around them is something i actually dislike, though. way too frantic for me...and too short.

i'd vote for the moustache bars on your bianchi! and a riding position that might seem a little too short at first. add some small gearing, chunky tires and you got yourself a trailrocket.

here's a pic i made today, it's more road-oriented now...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I've got an Alan I picked up at a swap from a guy named Don. Cool bike he said he won some races with it. Had some remnants of Ritchey stickers on it when I got it. I'll grab some pictures in the morning.
    test

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast