Thread: Viner Purchase

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Viner Purchase

I am going to look at this Viner tomorrow. All I really know is that it was a nice Italian bike company in the 70's and 80's, and they still appear to make quality bikes. I have seen them pop up here and there on the interwebs, but I have never seen one in person. I am gong to check the bike out in person tomorrow. It does not look like it is the unique 70's models with the cool star cutouts and star engravings. So, I am assuming it is from the 80's.

So far I have been dealing with the wife of the owner. She is a very nice lady, but she knows nothing about bikes and has literally told me to wait until tomorrow to talk to her husband when he is back in town. One of the pictures shows the model on the top tube, but I can't make out the letters.

Can anyone here offer up any assistance or anything I should look for tomorrow?

Thanks.
    Viner Purchase-bike.jpg
    Viner Purchase-bike-back-end.jpgViner Purchase-bike-front-end.jpgViner Purchase-viner-label.jpg

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by codwater View Post
    I
    Can anyone here offer up any assistance or anything I should look for tomorrow?
    Look for a vintage mountain bike.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I do, everyday!

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    A common mistake. Proper linky here:

Retro-Classic

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    A common mistake. Proper linky here:

Retro-Classic

Good luck!
    Thanks, I posted there at the same time I did here. I figured you guys might offer some advice, because they are not as active of a group you guys, I am a mountain biker, and I have ogled these bikes posted in this area many times! Vintage road bike thread!! . Figured there was some knowledge to be shared, but I understand if you are trying to avoid the trend of these types of posts.

No worries if you have to lock the thread; I just figured it was worth posting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Beer, meet screen. Screen, this is beer.

OP - I've been where you are tonight and would never go there again. If you're not feeling it in your heart and don't know it in your head, then just let this one slip by you and become someone else's problem.
    Last edited by mainlyfats; 04-16-2013 at 06:39 AM.

mtbr member
    My first good road bike was a Viner 'Pro Special'. I rode it for over 20 years. Generally, the steel Viners are considered good riders but without the panache of a Ciocc or Merckx. I say buy it and ride it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I pulled the trigger on it. Paid 250. It is in good condition. It has all Campy components and Ringle hubs. I am going to work on putting a date on it this week. I still don't know a model or anything either. It does some painted inlay type areas on the lugs, which I love.I can't figure out the type of steel either. I haven't done an in depth inspection yet. The only bad think about the bike is a tiny bit of rust in some areas and it has a ringle decal and an oakly decal, which I can easily get off. Also, as predicted, this thread a ton of views on RBR classic forum, but no one over there ever responds. I got them to throw in some rudy sunglasses, two bike pumps, a mag trainer, a camelback and some older ringle scewers for an extra 100. I will post up pictures on the classic road bike thread. Thanks for help guys.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Much more vintage road bike activity over at;
    Classic & Vintage

Crankset looks like possibly campy Triumphe, probably dates to around 1985, give or take a year. Triumphe was a lower-mid level campy grouppo, might indicate that the frame is made from chromor or alle rather than SL tubing. Absent a tubng decal, seatpost size is probably next best indication of the tubing.