CS2
    mtbr member

Vinatage Off Road Touring Conversion

With the popularity in fat tires, gravel and adventure bikes it seems like a vintage MTB would be just the ticket. The drop bar thread is full of 26" versions of current ADV bikes. Anyone repurposing their vintage bike as one?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

artistic...
    Compass rat trap 26 x 2.3 tires!
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    Compass rat trap 26 x 2.3 tires!
    Thanks for the link. That is a really nice looking tire with the gum wall. It should fit an 84 Stumpjumper I have.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    I have done gravel road and some off-road touring on a vintage bike and with newer bikes. The only real issue with using old bikes is the gearing, but if you put "modern" low gearing on an old frame it should work just fine.

I've used several different bikes over the years for gravel road touring. The individual frame defines how well it will work more so than the age of the frame. One (non-vintage) bike that I used for one 2-day 80+ mile ride was sketchy with rear panniers only - it might do better with a different load distribution. Otherwise the other bikes (4 different bikes) have all done fine. I've tried various different set-ups (front panniers only, rear panniers only, and frame bags), as well as different size tires (from 38mm CX tires up to 3-inch wide off road tires), and think that each setup has it's merits.

My take away is: use any bike you want, but make sure you have really low gearing, A vintage bike may work just well as a modern bike, it just depends on the bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    I broke out my '85 Moot's Mountaineer for their "Ranch Rally" ride a couple of years back, aside from the drag from the fenders it held it's own against the Ti gravel bikes at the front of the pack. The geometry and slick tires were perfect for gravel roads, and I felt great bombing down past the groadies on their expensive "built for gravel" Ti machines.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Well done.