Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati

Velo Cult Portland

Some of you probably already know this but my family, my employee's and my shop all moved to Portland. We hope to open in 2 or 3 weeks with a huge grand opening party. I will try to add photos to this post as things progress. Sorry but it's all I-phone photos.

We had 1200sf in San Diego, now we have 10,000sf in the heart of the Hollywood district of Portland. 5000sf showroom, cafe and pub and 5000sf of finished basement. Not sure what to do with the basement but I know one room with be a photo studio and one will be theater with 40 vintage theater seats from the old Hollywood theater 1 block away.

The building was an antique mall for 30 years. It had 80 different vendors which made for a lot of walls to demo out.

This is the official start of demolition

Demolition took 4 giant rolloff dumpsters.

This old clawfoot tub is now going to be a sofa.

Did I mention all the work is being done by me and my employee's?

A sneak peak at our cafe floor made of pallets.

The pallets really light up with a nice coat of poly

Pulled down the ceiling to expose the bow truss roof. This took 5 people 4 days to complete. I don't have photos of it but I also pulled off the carpet, tile, and plywood to expose the Doug Fir flooring. I'm going to leave the floors weathered and rustic.

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/vdubbusrider/Shop%20PDX/d57f2c13.jpg">

My boy visiting

Rolling around the shop with my Moulton

Not too long ago an old castle was demolished in Portland and I got the drawbridge. It weights well over 1000lbs. It will be mounted to a wall, raise and lower by electric hoist and act as a stage for bands. I also will be getting the cauldron from that castle.

4 local microbrews and one keg of root beer will be on hand at all times

Sneak peak at the bar

Threw some color on the walls

My bikes made the journey totally scratch free

What's next? I need to get the upstairs projector setup, full surround sound for both the theater and the showroom. Theater is for 40 or less people and the showroom will do films with groups up to 200 or so. Gotta build out the childrens play area. Thinking of building a speak easy in the basement. Finish up the repair area. I don't know, about 1000 other things
    too.

mtbr member
    badical
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Go Sky Go!

IllumaDucati
    Neat deal. It's going to be a great space. I'm looking forward to visiting someday.

I'm building this shop to be what in my mind is the perfect shop for hanging out and shopping. Imagine 100 people watching the Paris Roubaix with a 200" screen and loud surround sound. Tables and chairs everywhere. Beer and coffee. Awesome mechanics with seating and tables in front of them so you can have a conversation with your mechanic as he's wrenching. Lots of other things too.

What would you do if you had the same opportunity?? Let me know.

velocipede technician
    there needs to be some kinda VRC road trip for the grand opening

cant wait to see how you set up the service area
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Dang Sky!! Go big or go home!

Love the vision and execution. Youre not messing around. Can't wait to see the finished product.

artistic...
    awesome..thinking about moving as well and i open this.. GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Sad to see you leave San Diego but Portland should be an awesome fit for you. Truth be told, I always liked the Bird Rock location with the mini MTB museum over the Fern St. one (which was the most beautiful bike shop I've ever been in, ever). I can't imagine what you will do with that much space but I know it will be amazing.

Best wishes and I'll definitely be through when I visit Portland. Keep an eye out for a Ritchey softtail in team colors ridden by my friend Jeff.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Great job Sky! The shop looks like it's taking shape.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009
    Good luck Sky, that is a huge shop! Should be awesome.

Paul
    Atomic Cycles.

VRC Illuminati
    Portland just got significantly more attractive.

The grand opening is really going to be something!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I am glad I opened this thread. I was going to go bring a frame to you guys to have some canti bosses brazed on. Oh well, it is better for you guys, the support for cycling in SD kinda sucks.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I will be there.

Good luck with this!!

dirtbag
    How did I overlook you guys when I lived in SD. I'll have to road trip up to Portland when I get back to the States.

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
    Amolan

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    burlesque shows in the basement! have fun guys!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture View Post
    What would you do if you had the same opportunity?? Let me know.
    The Rotating vintage bicycle of the week wall/space.

I understand your market is much more than a few retro geeks that hang out here on VRC, but I would ask for a wall space dedicated to a vintage bike or two. If you rotated the bike every week or so, it would draw people into the store to see what was hanging. I love looking at the VeloCult museum online and it would just be awesome to see these bikes in the flesh. I know there is a shop locally that hangs a early Mountain Goat from the ceiling. Sometimes I stop by there just to admire their bike. Imagine a differernt bike rotating in every week. I have a hunch the rotation would take quite a while before we saw the first bike again. Then again, you would probably get other locals with vintage bikes that would want to be featured also. I would find it an honor if you hung one of my projects on the wall for a week or two. Great way to develop local customer base at minimal to no cost.

Thats my two cents.....

Oh yea, Guinness on tap also..

Congratulations Sky......

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest.
    Seek: Old Mtn. Goat Bar Stem Combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer View Post
    The Rotating vintage bicycle of the week wall/space.

I understand your market is much more than a few retro geeks that hang out here on VRC, but I would ask for a wall space dedicated to a vintage bike or two. If you rotated the bike every week or so, it would draw people into the store to see what was hanging. I love looking at the VeloCult museum online and it would just be awesome to see these bikes in the flesh. I know there is a shop locally that hangs a early Mountain Goat from the ceiling. Sometimes I stop by there just to admire their bike. Imagine a differernt bike rotating in every week. I have a hunch the rotation would take quite a while before we saw the first bike again. Then again, you would probably get other locals with vintage bikes that would want to be featured also. I would find it an honor if you hung one of my projects on the wall for a week or two. Great way to develop local customer base at minimal to no cost.

Thats my two cents.....

Oh yea, Guinness on tap also..

Congratulations Sky......

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest.

Rad vintage mountain bikes floating in and out are happening. Guinness maybe, in a can.

mtbr member
    Best of luck to you and your family Sky. Love the vision and you guys will rock Portland!

Ben

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Damn just went to Portland for honeymoon last summer. Woulda been a fun visit. Hopefully I'll get down there again soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    S.I.M.B.S

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Portland is the perfect place for this shop. I'm up there three to four times a year and I really look forward to seeing the shop in the flesh. Powell's, the Saturday Market and VeloCult not to mention the food cart scene. What more could you want!?

Your courage is inspiring and I'm sure it will be rewarded with prosperity!

I like that road trip up to the grand opening idea. Plus I want to go to Mary's!
    test

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxcollector View Post
    I like that road trip up to the grand opening idea. Plus I want to go to Mary's!
    Haha- Mary's is sketchy! Great work Sky, I look forward to visiting

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Congrats on the move and the pic of your son rocks! The basement almost looks big enough for a small pump track, you know, for the children.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    like pdw. ^
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Velo Cult Portland-gumby_0.jpg  

Velo Cult Portland-geno.jpg  

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Damn! I only found about you being in SD just last fall, now you're down the road in PDX! Looks like you're almost across the street from Sam's? Are you in the basement where the Hobbysmith used to be? That's my favorite train shop, btw,.

Can't wait! I be at Ron's Hobbysmith next month to pick up some more engines, so I 'll be by to see your VRC stuff for sure.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast