mtbr member
    May 2007

Updating My First Race Bike, Need Some Advice

Hey everyone,
    After a 15 year hiatus and a venture into triathlons and road biking I reentered the world of MTB, by signing up for a 24 hour race.

I ended up picking up a new bike and love it, but that's not what this is about. I still have an awesome vintage (can't believe I'm calling it that) 1998 Trek 7000ZX, converted to rigid, that I plan on using as a second bike and as a loaner when my friends want to ride with me.

This thing fits like an old shoe and rides substantially better now with the Instigator fork over the old IndyXC. That said, I'd like to convert it back to a suspension fork during the upgrades, for a few reasons . I know there was a big thread about this a couple of years ago, so here's what I've gleaned.

1) Don't run a longer fork on a vintage frame (too late, A2C on the instigator fork is 445mm)

2) You can still find vintage forks in decent condition on ebay. Like the JudyXC I've pined over since this bike was the latest technology.

3) There aren't very many, relatively inexpensive forks made with an A2C of less than 500mm.

So, my question is, what fork should I consider? Is the JudyXC worth picking up used and trying to rebuild? My budget is small for the second bike, and the upgrades are all coming by way of deal searching.

I don't mind buying used, on ebay (or wherever) but if there is something new that fits the bill of keeping the A2c around 450 and costs less than, say $600, I'm all ears.

EDIT: Also, I don't want to build a new wheelset, so canti posts are a must. I also suppose I should say, the only kind of riding I do is not super technical XC, and I live in NY, so most of the trails I ride have quite a few roots. Blue/green line stuff. No black diamonds.

Thanks in advance

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I think it falls outside of the VRC timeline. Sure looks like it does to me as well. As for the IndyXC isn't that what came with it originally? Sounds like geometry wise it might still be a better choice? I didn't have major issues with them, but then again I ride rigid so they weren't that high on my list.

Also, those PIA JudyXC's were just that, a PIA. Had a Kona I gave away just last December in Isla Mujeres, QR. It had a JudyXC and I was glad to see it go. The Indy works better between the two, and with less issues.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yep... it came with an IndyXC, but it never really worked well for me. No Elastomer forks really have, but its probably due to my size. Good knowing the JudyXC's were a pain, I'll make sure to avoid those.

I wasn't sure if it qualified for here or not. It had modern features for its time but still rides like an older MTB... or a Cross bike. Sort of a transitional period I guess.

I did discover that some of the lower end current RockShox forks can be converted from 100mm to 80mm with an inexpensive spring kit, which brings the A2C from up around 480 to below 450, so I may just go that direction. It doesn't need to be a fancy fork... just something that works better than the elastomers and offers some cushion for long days on root-filled northeast trails.

Thanks for your input and help