-bustin punks

Two early 90's steel Stumpjumpers, one low price

Picked up both for $300.

I know this is a 1991 Stumpjumper Comp:
    Full XT, all original except for the horrific stem, Ritchey 1.4" slicks and maybe the gel seat?

Untitled

Now the eternal "refinish or not" dilemma. If it was any better I might leave it - I will sit on it for a week or so to decide.
    Untitled

Seapost moves (and comes out) but not easily.
    Untitled

Lots of original brake pad left on both bikes:
    Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Love this stuff:
    Untitled

The little one (full Deore DX):
    Bought it for a co-worker that has mentioned wanting a bike for years now. It's in better shape than the gray bike.

Untitled

Digging the tires (one has a scuffed sidewall from brake rub though):
    Untitled
    Untitled
    Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Rapidfire:
    Untitled

VRC Illuminati
    Two classic Stumpjumpers there. If the price was really low enough...nice pick up!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

-bustin punks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Two classic Stumpjumpers there. If the price was really low enough...nice pick up!
    Since there isn't a blue book for stuff like that I think you sometimes have to go with your gut. $300 for the whole lot seemed reasonable to me. Plus I have a chubby for that era of XT stuff. The first "high end" components I was ever exposed to.

How bad does something get before you have to pull the trigger on new paint. That's the main dilemma I think.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Very cool for 3hunge, on your grey bike, is that rust on the DS Chainstay an issue? to my eyes it looks a little fugly, IMO i'd want to take that paint down an peek at that weld a bit before decieiding on a full paint job...

-bustin punks
    Slowly getting back to respectability (yellow Flite gel is just there temporarily, will be replaced by a black original Flite tomorrow)

Untitled

XT seatpost matches the rest of the build pretty well (including condition). 10g lighter than the Post Moderne that was in there and even a bit longer to boot. Forgot cassette tool today, so the dork frisbee is still hiding back there. Handlebar (modern Salsa carbon, 11 degree sweep) is blatantly non VRC, but not sure how much I trust any of the lightweights from back in the day.

I'll probably ride it this weekend as is, then strip it down to frame and fork for repaint early next week (leave town for a 11 day business trip, so good time to have that done). Still undecided on color.

mtbr member
    I'd recommend something in a blueish gray. Sorry, I think that color is a classic.

-bustin punks
    Having the stock matte color just redone/matched is high on my list. I really wish I could keep the original finish, but there are just way too many sketchy areas to do that.

mtbr member
    don't repaint either one of them. I wouldn't want a new looking frameset with used parts. I'd say u got a very good deal if you ride them, not a steal tho

-bustin punks
    I have a few hours on the gray Stumpy and it's pretty fantastic. Still trying to get the bars and stem where I want them, but it's really a great riding frame - and I mentioned in another thread that I think it's better than my old Fat Wicked. Gasp.

I like the fact that the paint is beat and matches the patina of the components. The thing looks pretty darn cool in that blue collar sorta way. My biggest concern is longevity, especially here in Michigan. Mass produced or not, it's a nice friggen bike that's worth holding onto.

Original MudCult Member
    ya nice bikes. im really familiar with them. the black one being newer. i had two of them late 80's when the steel was from japan. nice rides.. mine were stolen amongst many other ones from my garage.. oh well,,, this is the only specialized i have left. i do have another blank frame though still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two early 90's steel Stumpjumpers, one low price-p6090031.jpg  

Two early 90's steel Stumpjumpers, one low price-p6090024.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'll echo the others and say they are better off unrestored and ridden. They aren't worth all that much in pristine shape, and a full repaint/restore with new/nice components seems like a money pit too me.

The blue-grey Stumpy would be an awesome beater/city bike though.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

-bustin punks
    I cleaned and tuned up the black Stumpy (DX) for my co-worker. She has wanted a bike for a while, and I thought this was a cool way to do it. The paint on that is actually in pretty good shape, so it was never a candidate for that. I swapped on some new tires, put a wider handlebar (that thing had a 21" wide bar!) on it and it was good to go.

Y'all have convinced me to leave the gray/blue as is.

Untitled

I probably will get some CLR or try soaking and cleaning up the frame a bit though, then following with some touch up paint. I am loathe to demote it to beater bike status though - it still functions pretty damn well as a mountain bike. Especially for the non-extremes of SE Michigan where I live.

p.s. - the Z-max repops from First Flight are FANTASTIC!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    .02% Oxalic acid will take care of the rust.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WalleyesAndTNT View Post
    ya nice bikes. im really familiar with them. the black one being newer. i had two of them late 80's when the steel was from japan...
    There's no steel from Japan, man. I don't think they have any resources at all.

Anyhoo, if you want to paint it Op, paint it.

Certainly worse ways to spend $100.